From Exorcist ro Hereditary - Best Horror Films by year.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pet Sematary is awesome.

Yes, The Ring is strangely absent. As is 1979's Prophecy.

I was picking what I thought was the BEST movie of the year.. Some years got more then one because it was a "Tie" It is not to say that some years only had one good or great horror films.. There may have been many but there was one true winner.

The Prophecy is a great example.. I actually like the film. But its no ALIEN or Dawn of the Dead.

No nasties....drillerkiller,toolbox murders,canibal ferox,i spit on your grave,last house on the left ect......all pretty revolutionary in there own right.....you would think building on the shoulders of these we get to the conjuring seems like one step forward ten steps back.

This is based on a year by year basis.. I like I Spit on Your Grave and Last House but did not find them to be the "best" of that year.

As for the films you mentioned all being Revolutionary... I can appreciate those films for that.. BUT they by no means going to be a fav of mine for that reason alone.

I agree with your comment about The Conjuring... I did not love it.. But I was not in love with much that year.. I almost have it to The Evil Dead remake.

What about 'When A Stranger Calls'...?

Yuck! A great opening act cant make up for the rest of that borefest.

Last edited:
No 28 Days Later or 2004 Dawn of the Dead? You must not like fast zombies. ;)

The Ring is definitely in my Top 3 of the 21st century. Also liked Open Water and The Shallows. Loved The VVitch, Under the Skin and Ex Machina.

Otherwise yeah the true classics are from the 70's to the mid-80's with ALIENS being #1 all time for me. Original Terminator has very strong slasher movie elements as well.

The original Ju-On is my favorite Asian horror film. Didn't really care for Ringu despite loving The Ring.

I 28 Days Later and Dawn remake.. Just not as much as whatever won those years :)

I agree about The Ring being better then Ringu.. There was a time I would have had it one this list.. But I watched it recently and found it to be boring.

Ju-on may be the best "true" Asian Horror film but I Saw the Devil is my Fav Asian Horror.

If I thought of The Terminator as a true horror film I would add it... It has horror elements for sure and its why I love it so much more the T2... I guess I still see it as Sci Fi...

I almost didn't add ALIENS for the same reasons as I view it more as Sci Fi then Horror.. But when it popped up when I typed Horror movies 1986 there was no way I was ignoring it :lol

Its why I added the Fly also. More straight forward horror there. I like ALIENS better but The Fly is the more true Horror film of the two.

The Shallows... :lol :lol :lol

Last edited:
I agree with you on The Ring and The Shallows; I really wanted to like The VVitch when it came out, but it just didn't work for me.

Probably my favorite of the more recent films is The Descent. Others I don't see on Jaws' list are Insidious and 30 Days Of Night.

Again this is a list that is picking the best from that Year... Some years had a tie.. So while I liked 30 Days of Night it was nowhere near The Mist for me.

Again this list would look different if it was my personal top 30 horror films.. This list is just me picking a certain film for that year.

Some years had a tie and that is why there are more listed on that year.

1985 is a great Example... I love Return of the Living Dead.. But for me Fright Night was the clear Winner.

While 1983 had Christine , Cujo, and The Evil Dead. Three films that I love pretty much equally... I could proabably pick if a gun was held to my head but there wasnt so I didnt :lol

I own every single movie mentioned here lol

Horror movies make up the largest part of my collection!

One of the biggest crimes against horror releases is that there is no proper blu-ray 3D release of F13th Part 3.

Crying shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Shallows... :lol :lol :lol

I don't see any movies ripping off scenes from "The Reef." :lecture

DarL0LjV4AA3hWw.jpg

DarL0LUVMAATP58.jpg

;)

I don't see any movies ripping off scenes from "The Reef." :lecture

DarL0LjV4AA3hWw.jpg

DarL0LUVMAATP58.jpg

;)

Did you really just Use Jurassic World 2 to prove your point ;) ;)

70s = all time classics
80s = cheap crap
90s= no deta found
00s = no deta found
2010s = artsy crap

80’s is far from cheap crap.

I agree Jye.. Some of the greatest horror of all time came out of the 80's

Hell the first three here are in my top 5 horror of all time..

An American Werewolf in London
The Thing
Poltergeist

The next ones are in my top 15
The Shining
Christine
Fright Night
The Evil Dead
The Evil Dead II

and these two are in my top 25
Cujo
Hellraiser

Other films from the 80's are great also and there are more... Sure there are lots of stinkers.. But the horror genre has lots of stinkers no matter what decade.

The Howling
Near Dark
The Lost Boys
Scanners
Nightmare on Elm St films
Friday the 13th films
Psycho II
The Blob
The Dead Zone
Creepshow
The Entity
The Hitcher
The Fog
Re-Animator
Return of the Living Dead

The 70's are up there also with these 4 films being in my top 5

JAWS
Halloween
ALIEN

these 2 are in my top 10

DAWN of the Dead
Carrie

The Exorcist
is in my top 15

The Omen is great and The Prophecy and Orca are some of my all time guilty pleasures
The Amityville Horror is still fun for me and Texas Chainsaw is still great.

Quality drops off after that though IMO.. Of course there are more but the 80's had more good to great horror movies overall IMO.

Last edited:
The Thing alone makes the 80’s awesome then when you add Fright Night 1, American Werewolf in London, Friday 13th 1, The Fly, Evil Dead and Day of the Dead the 80’s can’t be touched it certainly equals if not surpasses the 70’s.

Anyone who rates the 80’s as a lame decade for horror is either trolling or 13 lol

Back