Best Film In a Horror Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can count pirates of the caribbean as a horror because of the scary ghosts

you can count pirates of the caribbean as a horror because of the scary ghosts

Original would definitely be the best in that series too. CotBP is probably my favorite movie of all time and one of very few 10/10 movies for me. I love DMC almost as much (Davy Jones is my favorite character of all time), but it has some imperfections that hold it back from being a 10/10.

If you count JP as horror then the original is definitely the best, none of the sequels so much as touch it.

Absolutely. I enjoyed The Lost World well enough but could easily live without the other two sequels. Hopefully Fallen Kingdom is better.

The original novel was definitely very Horror-like and had the movie been more like it it would've without a doubt been classifiable as Horror. The film downplayed the more graphic moments but still packs much intensity with the dinosaur attacks.

Another series I remembered and a rather odd one at that is House. The original is easily the best, although the second film is also enjoyable is very strange and having nearly nothing to do with the original. It's been too long since I last saw the fourth and final film to have a fair judgment of it, but I remember it aired on cable a lot in the early 90s and I caught it quite a bit back then.

The third film is where it gets tricky, with it simply called The Horror Show in the U.S. and not marketed as a sequel, yet elsewhere in the world it was House III. It's decent but I've always had a hard time considering it part of the series. It's an enjoyable series overall and I wouldn't mind a new installment one of these days.

The Howling is another that'd be a good addition, although I'd imagine only the original would ever be picked. I've seen most of the sequels barring 2 and 6. 3 is kinda funny, 4 was boring, 5 was alright from my memory but New Moon Rising is without a doubt one of the all-time worst Horror movies. One of those movies that doesn't have a single good thing about it.

The original is still awesome. Great atmosphere and exceptional old-school make-up effects that make me long for the pre-digital days of special effects.

If you count King Kong and Godzilla as Horror there's tons of those for this as well. It's been ages since I last watched the older films from either. I enjoyed both the 2014 Godzilla film and last year's Kong: Skull Island, and am super-amped for the new Monster Universe those two set up.

Looking back to this, there's also the 90s Mummy series which I forgot about before. Arguably only the 1999 movie though is Horror whereas the others were straight-up adventure. The 1999 movie is easily the best one anyway, though. Not seen the reboot from last year which looked awful from the previews. Can't say the bad reviews it got shocked me.

Here are my favorites

Friday The 13th: Part 2

Halloween: Original
A Nightmare On Elm Street: Original
Saw: Original
Scream: Original
Evil Dead: Part II
Phantasm: Not a fan
Alien: Alien
Predator: 1
Hellraiser: Original
Child's Play: Original
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Toss up between Original and 2003 remake. Leaning towards original
Final Destination: Meh 1
Insidious: Hated all of them
The Conjuring: 1
The Purge: 1
Paranormal Activity: 1

I often feel alone in liking the TCM remake. I respect and enjoy the original, but something about the remake is more enjoyable for me. I honestly find it among the better of the more modern Horror remakes (well, modern by it's time anyway).

I often feel alone in liking the TCM remake. I respect and enjoy the original, but something about the remake is more enjoyable for me. I honestly find it among the better of the more modern Horror remakes (well, modern by it's time anyway).

remake is my favorite texas movie

original is cool for its time, and leatherface is great, but the other young actors are pretty bad and the movie is kinda dull outside of the house

remake was excellently done and the addition of the sheriff made an instant classic and iconic character. he became almost greater than leatherface,

leatherface looked amazing, the soundtrack was great too. i remember going to universal studios for their halloween Events and going into the haunted house based on that movie... it was so amazing. you literally see Leatherface come out of his metal door running at you. it was so great. i really loved it.

original is cool for its time, and leatherface is great, but the other young actors are pretty bad and the movie is kinda dull outside of the house

remake was excellently done and the addition of the sheriff made an instant classic and iconic character. he became almost greater than leatherface,

leatherface looked amazing, the soundtrack was great too. i remember going to universal studios for their halloween Events and going into the haunted house based on that movie... it was so amazing. you literally see Leatherface come out of his metal door running at you. it was so great. i really loved it.

Besides the remake I also really liked the 2006 prequel. A shame we never got a direct sequel to the 2003 movie, as I would've liked to have seen where the characters and story went from there.

I still haven't seen the most recent Leatherface, which is a prequel set before the 1974 movie. The one from 2013 which was basically an alternate TCM2 was alright, I didn't think it was bad as some made it out to be, despite some massive holes and issues with the plot and timeline.

tenor.gif

original is kinda dull outside of the house
krjUSKb.gif

Besides the remake I also really liked the 2006 prequel. A shame we never got a direct sequel to the 2003 movie, as I would've liked to have seen where the characters and story went from there.

I still haven't seen the most recent Leatherface, which is a prequel set before the 1974 movie. The one from 2013 which was basically an alternate TCM2 was alright, I didn't think it was bad as some made it out to be, despite some massive holes and issues with the plot and timeline.

the new one is easily the worst sequel of all. OF ALL... they made him into this regular looking boy that talks...... jeez

Here's my revised list, this time sticking strictly with the OP's choices.

Friday The 13th - original
Halloween - original and Halloween III
A Nightmare On Elm Street - original
Saw - don't like any of them
Scream - original
Evil Dead - don't like any of them
Phantasm - don't like any of them
Alien - original and Aliens
Predator - original, don't like any of the others
Hellraiser - original
Child's Play - hate them all
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - hate them all
Final Destination - don't like any of them
Insidious - hate them all
The Conjuring - hate them all
The Purge - hate them all
Paranormal Activity - hate them all

Here's my revised list, this time sticking strictly with the OP's choices.

Friday The 13th - original
Halloween - original and Halloween III
A Nightmare On Elm Street - original
Scream - original
Alien - original and Aliens
Hellraiser - original

fixed,

tiny tiny list

Friday The 13th - The Final Chapter/Jason Lives
Halloween - original (IV is underrated as well)
A Nightmare On Elm Street - Dream Warriors
Scream - original
Evil Dead - Evil Dead 2
Phantasm -
Alien - original/Aliens
Predator - original
Hellraiser - original
Child's Play - original
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - original
The Conjuring - The Conjuring 2

Evil Dead - don't like any of them

giphy.gif

Child's Play - hate them all

giphy.gif

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - hate them all

tenor.gif

:monkey3

what I find Bizarre about Chakor's list is that he says he hates them all, which implies he watched all of them, and hated them, but if chakor hates horror, why watch all the sequels :rotfl:rotfl

Chakor did you watch all the sequels to all these movies and hated them?

I agree with these:

Saw --------------- don't like any of them
Child's Play --------- hate them all
Final Destination --- don't like any of them
Insidious ----------- hate them all
The Conjuring ------ hate them all
The Purge ---------- hate them all
Paranormal Activity - hate them all

I'm ok if ED movies isn't something one likes.
Phantasm series is crap outside of the original, which is a very weird movie unless you have an apretiation for its behind-the-scenes history.
I do have to ask why one'd actually HATE the original Chainsaw Massacre tho... or its "sequel", wich is a starship-troopers-like meta satire with a big budget...

Back