Best Film In a Horror Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what I find Bizarre about Chakor's list is that he says he hates them all, which implies he watched all of them, and hated them, but if chakor hates horror, why watch all the sequels :rotfl:rotfl

Chakor did you watch all the sequels to all these movies and hated them?

Yeah I watched all of them. It was a painful process that took the better part of a year, but I did it. :lol

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

:monkey3

Evil Dead movies just come off as "meh" cliched zombie flicks to me. I don't hate them or anything, I just always found them very "meh".

Child's Play I don't like because I can't stand movies with killer dolls. Just not my thing.

The Chainsaw series... yuck. I never saw anything more in them other than an autistic guy waving a chainsaw in the air like a mad zoo chimp, and the female lead in the original was so annoying that I wanted the chainsaw guy to murder her within the third act. I'm sure I'll get tarred and feathered for it, but I simply have no nostalgic connection to the original or any investment in any of the characters. I can still give it credit where credit is due for more or less inventing the slasher flick, but that's it. I found the sequel admittedly more enjoyable but still immensely overrated. Hated all of the ones after it.

I think with Chainsaw it's more the combination of just not digging them to begin with and having the merchandise forced down our throats every Halloween that makes me hate them, and not so much the movies themselves. I have the same issue with things like that dumb Five Nights at Freddy's game where seeing the bloody toys everywhere makes me hate the brand itself even more.

Looking at my avatar actually reminded me how Tales From The Crypt had three spin-off movies, the TFTC Presents series with Demon Knight, Bordello Of Blood and Ritual. The latter of which was a straight to DVD release. Not seen Ritual, but Demon Knight is awesome. BOB was a big letdown. It's a shame the TFTC Presents series never really took off after DK, so much lost potential.

Can't remember if I mentioned Re-Animator before and am too lazy to look through, but that's another I remembered. I love the original and Bride Of Re-Animator although not as good is still gory fun. Not seen the third one, Beyond Re-Animator. Wasn't a new one without Jeffrey Combs supposed to come out? Can't imagine anyone else as Herbert West but him.

Seeing Fright Rags' line-up of shirts for it reminded me of the Basket Case films, been so long since I watched them. I remember catching them on cable a lot as a kid in the early 90s. It'd be a good series to re-visit someday as it's been so many years for me. I honestly don't think I've seen them since at least the mid-90s which is one long time.

Hatchet is another I remembered. I recently blind bought the third and fourth movies. I've only seen the first two so far. I remember finding the first one meh and thinking the second was much better. It'd be good to binge all four sometime soon. I hope 3 and 4 are as good as the second one was, at least.

Another series I remembered and one more obscure is Xtro. I've only seen the original, it's two sequels are totally unrelated despite the title as well as having the same director back. But the original is one of the weirdest movies ever and feels like an amalgamation of every weird, nonsensical dream you've ever had in movie form. Here's a sampling of just how incredibly bizarre and WTF this movie is (fair warning these may be fairly graphic and NSFW):

Been trying to think of more series with 3+ movies I may have forgotten before. Carrie is one that came to mind, the 1976 original is definitely the best although I also actually do rather like and enjoy The Rage: Carrie 2 quite a bit. Which reminds me on the subject of Stephen King, Creepshow. Love both of the first two and never saw the third film which apparently is not regarded by fans as canonical (and rightfully so, looks absolutely awful from the images I've seen). Shame we never got a proper Creepshow 3 back then, would've loved a proper third movie.

I mentioned Jurassic Park before here. The newer footage of the upcoming Fallen Kingdom definitely seems to embrace the Horror and monster movie aspects of the series much more. Which I'm actually concerned about because I never considered the dinosaurs monsters and didn't like how the last couple of sequels seemed to push that aspect, whereas in the first two movies they came off as natural animals. In any case, it looks promising and I hope it turns out good, though doubtful it tops or equals the original which'll always be unbeatable for me.

Bringing this back with a slightly updated list from what I originally posted:

Halloween - 1978 Original
Friday The 13th - Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter
A Nightmare On Elm Street - New Nightmare
Saw - Saw II
Scream - Original
Child's Play - Original
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 2003 Remake
Evil Dead - Evil Dead II
Hellraiser - Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth
Phantasm - Phantasm II
Alien - Aliens
Predator - Predator 2
Final Destination - Original
The Purge - The Purge: Anarchy
Insidious - Insidious: Chapter 3
Paranormal Activity - Original
Conjuring Universe - The Conjuring 2
Jaws - Original
Jurassic Park - Original
It - Chapter One (2017)
Tremors - Original
Candyman - Original
Romero's Living Dead - Day Of The Dead (1985)
Return Of The Living Dead - Return Of The Living Dead Part II
Puppet Master - Puppet Master 4
Pumpkinhead - Original
Wishmaster - Original
Maniac Cop - Maniac Cop 2
Leprechaun - Original
Critters - Original
Cube - Original
Poltergeist - Poltergeist II: The Other Side
I Know What You Did Last Summer - Original

Very nice!

I like horror movies, but I'm not really a huge fan.
Anyway, here goes:

Friday The 13th - The first one (I think I only ever saw the first three ones, after that I lost interest)
Halloween - 1978 Original (again, I think I only saw the first three)
A Nightmare On Elm Street - I actually don't like any...
Saw - Only saw the first, wasn't terribly impressed
Scream - Never seen any...
Evil Dead - The first one, it totally freaked me out
Phantasm - The first one
Alien - Alien, of course
Predator - Predator, of course
Hellraiser - Original
Child's Play - Probably saw it, but I don't think I was very impressed...
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The Original
Final Destination - Never saw any...
Insidious - Is this the one with Ethan Hawke? I only saw bits of the first...
The Conjuring - Don't think I've seen it...
The Purge - Does this count as Horror?
Paranormal Activity - Original, only one I saw

And some additionals:

Hannibal Lecter - The Silence Of The Lambs
Puppet Master - I have vague memories, and not terribly good ones...
Maniac Cop - Same...
Romero's Living Dead - Can't make my mind up...
Return Of The Living Dead - The first one. Two words: Linnea Quigley.
Poltergeist - The first one
Jaws - Original
Blade - The first one
Amityville - The first one was scary, back in the day...
The Omen: The first one

Halloween - 1978 Original
Friday The 13th - Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter
A Nightmare On Elm Street -Original
Scream - Original
Child's Play - None of them......
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Original
Evil Dead - EDII
Hellraiser - Hellraiser II
Phantasm - Didn?t like any of them
Alien - Alien
Predator - Predator
Final Destination - Didn?t bother
The Purge - Didn?t like any
Insidious - Waste of time
Paranormal Activity - Not worth watching
Conjuring Universe - Original
Jaws - Original
Jurassic Park - Original
It - Chapter One (2017)
Tremors - Original
Candyman - Original
Romero's Living Dead - Dawn of the Dead
Return Of The Living Dead - Return Of The Living Dead
Puppet Master - None silly stuff
Pumpkinhead - Original
Wishmaster - more silly stuff
Maniac Cop - LOL
Leprechaun - LOL
Critters - LOL
Poltergeist - laughable sequels
I Know What You Did Last Summer: Garbage

How about

American Werewolf in London - Original
The Thing - Original
The Crazies - Remake
House - Original

Hell let?s make it easy and just say in 90 % of cases the original was the best.

Might be easier to just list what sequels were better than the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot the House series, good one. The first was definitely the best, from what I recall.

Most fans actually seem to like it, I don't know of many who dislike it.

I didn't like IV. The mask looked stupid and made the shape look dorky. Didn't find it suspenseful. The thumb in the head scene was hilarious! Pretty lame entry. Donald Pleasance and that reverend character were the only redeeming things in it. On to the list.

Halloween-original (shout out to 3. The only sequel I really enjoyed)
Friday the 13th-Original(shout out to 3 for bringing Jason's iconic look)
Alien-Alien
Child's Play-2 and Cult of Chucky
Evil Dead-Original
A Nightmare on Elm Street-original
It's Alive-Original and Island of the Alive
Romero-Dawn of the Dead
Creepshow-Original
TCM-Original
Scream-Original
Fulci-The Beyond/Gates of Hell/House by the Cemetery
Faces of Death-Original
Saw-3