Favorite Sci Fi Movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My top 10 would be:

10 The Fly
9 Alien
8 Ghostbusters
7 The Thing
6 Predator
5 Back to the Future
4 T2
3 The Terminator
2 Robocop
1 Serenity

my god, so many to choose from.
the ones I always seem to put in to watch when i'm bored would be

Serenity
Fifth Element
Stargate

Without saying the usual favourites (Aliens, Predator, Terminators, Star Wars), I would say:

The Fly
The Thing
Robocop
Ghostbusters

But there are so many bad guilty pleasures movies as well

I haven't seen many sf films of the past.
Ah, whatever.

It's definitely not.

Person who confesses ignorance of SF makes definitive statement on what constitutes it. :rotfl

You were correct in the first quote, and predictably wrong in the second one.

Folks who insist on strict boundaries with genre fiction are mendacious dilettantes.

But by all means keep it up! It's amusing. :wave

"Burroughs himself often wrote admiringly about SF in his letters, and said that’s what he was indeed writing. But people ignore this. Perhaps it’s that so few SF works aspire to such a high literary level, or that Naked Lunch doesn’t have a straight-through plot-line. But if you look at the tropes in the book, it really is SF—aliens, imaginary drugs, telepathy, talking objects … the gang’s all here."

__

1. I tho this thread was about movies
2. Cronenberg's film is about experience of writing, not the book itself
3. Sci-fi is about exploring scientific probabilities and possibilities, so the work in question can has aliens and still not be sci-fi

Yeah, I think it's a stretch to call Naked Lunch a sci-fi movie. More like an acid trip gone very, very wrong. Not much to link the typewriter insect to science in my mind. But to each their own. I'll list one Cronenberg movie that is more obvious sci-fi fare. . .though also an acid trip gone very, very wrong.

TbZGF1o.jpg

You know how I recently mentioned that I probably don't see myself revisiting A History of Violence because of the one scene? Yeah Videodrome was that times a hundred. :lol

Yeah, I think it's a stretch to call Naked Lunch a sci-fi movie.

Then by your logic it's just as much a stretch to call Jurrassic Park a sci-fi movie.

It's just a creature feature on amphetamines, loaded with product placement.

More like an acid trip gone very, very wrong.

I've never heard of that particular genre of movie.

You do realize that film can encompass multiple genres at once?

Lunch is about junk, not psychedelics.
(Have you even read Naked Lunch?
Or ever had a real acid trip?)

raw

__

The Thing, Robocop, The Fly, T2, The Terminator, Back to the Future, Planet of the Apes (the original one), Escape From New York, Westworld.

I choose... PIKACHU!
No, wait... that's stupid.

Cronenber's the obvious choice considering the whole list.
It's just that PotA and Westworld doesn't fit with the rest so I had to ask. :lol

11. Blade Runner
10 Clockwork Orange
9 Alien
8 Ghostbusters
7 Escape from NY
6 Robo Cop
5 Total Recall
4 The Matrix (trilogy)
3 The Terminator 1&2
2 Predator
1 Star Wars (OT)

I'm kind of confused what constitutes sci-fi now since I was told Star War was fantasy. I've just been waiting to see what everyone else put, and I just chose from there.

1. The Dark Knight

2. Batman Begins

3. The Planet of the Apes

4. Road Warrior (Just saw it for the first time on Hulu!)

5. Wall-e

6. Spider-man 2

7. The Empire Strikes Back

8. District 9

9. The Prestige

10. Predator- I don't know how the heck I can complain about in BvS when I love this movie so much! Arnie is one of my favorite actors and he's not exactly the greatest in the industry. :lol

I'll tell you now, four movies on your list aren't sci-fi :lol.

Back