EXO-6 Star Trek "Voyager" Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the eyes are a big issue on the Harry Kim sculpt. They look way too squinty whereas almost any picture of him his eyes normally don’t look that way.

There are some other pics on the EXO6 Facebook group of Harry and he looks a lot better than in the photo posted above. However I do think that EXO-6 have really dropped the ball on the Voyager line. Which is shame because all their other figures I really do like and think they’re of high quality. I’m really hoping that TNG/DS9/SNW don’t suffer a similar fate.

That said, the figure that would have benefited from having a one-piece head/neck combo sculpt is Sisko! the seam on his bald is so obvious. I still love the figure, and I suppose I appreciate the greater articulation, but if they were going to use the head/neck one piece on ANY figure, why not Sisko? Chakotay would have been just fine with a separate head and neck due to the hairline in back. I think they got this choice backwards.
In general i definitely agree it's easier to hide the head/neck seem w/ a hair line and on a more masculine figure.

I suspect that Exo-6 is basing the decision on iconic poses the character may have made in the show.

7of9 often tilted her head in a quizical nature, the same way spock & data do.

Nanjin has made it quite clear he appreciates various sisko iconic scenes, and I'm guessing he wanted this character to have more articulation. Avery Brooks is probably one of the most animated actors in star trek, and certainly the most expressive captain.

Kira has the neck built into the headsculpt, because there's no iconic expressions that she makes involving her head bending away from her neck, like seven.

Mirror Spock & FC Data are showcasing a specific snapshot of the character, and don't need this ability. If i'm right, I bet you will see articulated necks for both TNG Data and TOS Spock.

PS: I was hoping someone would do a kitbash of Sisko's head on Chakotay's body, too. To do it right, we really need a smiling expression on Sisko. He didn't get dark and sullen until the new uniforms and the war.

My concern is that these figures are being rushed so they’re not turning out as good as they could. I think that may be the case with the VOY line. Hope that isn’t the case with all the main crews.

Some people are also saying they’re not finding the extra pip in the box. Not sure if it’s because it’s so small and is being overlooked or what.

I'm willing to give Nanjin the benefit of the doubt in that perhaps the actors preferred a certain rendition of the head sculpt (most likely a CAD rendition) and his hand was forced, at times.

I think that the main issue hurting these sculpts are the paint applications. Nuances in skin tone are missing. Fortunately, it looks like Harry's eyes are not akimbo, as were Tuvok's and to a lesser extent, Chakotay's.

That's also a pretty unimpressive photo based on the choices made by the photographer, so not sure if I'd base 100% of my opinion on that. I get the point, however. A few pages back I modeled my ideal Harry using photoshop and this still shows some of the weaknesses I saw myself in the promo photos. But as always, I'll reserve judgement until have him and can get my camera on him!

My initial comparison between the promo shot and what I was hoping for:

View attachment 645127

I'm a big fan of your photoshop tweaks, QuiGonFishing but in this case, I still prefer the stock version to you Haroldo Kim. But I do think that the stock eyes are too squinty, though.

I'm of the mindset that this is a very new company, and nobody has ever dared to go into Trek this deep. If people stop buying these because they're using Hot Toys or some other vastly experienced player in the industry as their baseline, then Trek dies, and we do another 20 years with no 1/6 Trek figures. The more support Exo-6 gets, the more they can improve over time. So I'm all in on everything up to and including Enterprise and Nemesis. I intensely dislike the modern shows, so I wouldn't buy them no matter how good the figures were.

I'm of the mindset that this is a very new company, and nobody has ever dared to go into Trek this deep. If people stop buying these because they're using Hot Toys or some other vastly experienced player in the industry as their baseline, then Trek dies, and we do another 20 years with no 1/6 Trek figures. The more support Exo-6 gets, the more they can improve over time. So I'm all in on everything up to and including Enterprise and Nemesis. I intensely dislike the modern shows, so I wouldn't buy them no matter how good the figures were.
I bought the Michael Burnham character for exactly this reason. I wanted to support the company in its early stages.
One thing that Nanjin mentioned but I haven’t seen addressed for quite some time was the concept of using minor characters as stopgap for the production line. I’m not sure if the Seven backlash made him rethink this concept. I had expected characters like the Talosian to made during the lull between a Sisko and a Spock for example. I thought it was a great idea as a way to make characters like Shran, Weyeon, or perhaps some of the newer figures that won’t have the draw of the core figures.
It seems like there are a lot of figures in development with many of them looking very far along. I can count 20 I will buy as soon as they go up. When the photons start, I wonder how they will be spaced out? 3 to 4 a month?

90183534-C013-492E-823A-298D874B99F3.png

The extra pip seems like more trouble than it’s worth if there’s a potential to damage the undershirt, a pip with magnetic backing would’ve been more practical.
1687180277474.png

If anyone cares it sounds like Ensign Kim’s promotion pips were left out by mistake on a number of figures that were sent out but are going to be sent either by mail or to the retailer where the figure was purchased.

Also it sounds like if you want to “promote” him it involves actually gently removing the existing pip and gluing the new one in place. I probably won’t do it anyways as I don’t want to ruin anything.

Back