EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please...entitlement...check yourself please.

It didnt stop him issuing "updates" about product not even in production when he was at QMX did it.

If you took the time to reflect upon his postings you would see it.

If you cant take a different point of view without stooping to name calling please keep your nose and head buried and blind to the obvious,just so you can try and gain favour with Mr Tam.

So as you can see from previous threads he wasnt too bothered regarding copyright etc when he worked at QMX regularly posting updates and things that he didnt have authority from QMX to release,that he now states he cant when it is his own company.

And the only reason he is posting here is to boost his company profile to gain followers and potential customers,which is the standard for any fledgeling company, so please i have no entitlement what i do have is money to spend and a thirst
For good 1/6 figures not maybes and platitudes.

And if he wants his buisness to succeed then yours mine and others opinions and needs should be at least listened to to gain our custom,and if not thats fine too, our buisness and passion can go elsewhere which im sure youd say "good go then" and thats fine too.
But remember 1/6 Trek and Trek itself is a Niche market which is unfortunately dwindling and in decline re demand,and yours mine and others buisness is needed to keep it alive.

I must have struck a chord with the "entitlement" reference. That's the only thing that could somehow, in some way be construed as "name calling".

It was simply in reference to your statement: "...stick to giving realistic expectations to those who want his product,not teasers, and then deliver a June possibility for a product."

I indeed found that both as an entitlement attitude and quite hilarious, for the reasons that I posted. He owes us nothing. He could have kept quiet until the first figure(s) were ready for pre-order but instead, in his excitement and passion for the franchise and his new business venture, shared some tidbits of information which I found exciting and am looking forward to what EXO-6 has in store.

I have to admit that I found your following quote quite amusing: "If you cant take a different point of view without stooping to name calling please keep your nose and head buried and blind to the obvious,just so you can try and gain favour with Mr Tam."

You figured it out. Yep. I'm gaining favor with Mr. Tam, as he has promised me that if I bury my head and turn a blind eye to his postings, he will send me figures for free! The cat is out of the bag.

...Asmus are the only two 1/6 figure manufacturers that are willing .....

Andy, (i think is Andy) the founder of Asmus was a highly respectfully producer although I never met him in person. He has the same passion in LOTR as I have with Trek.

The paint shop that I worked with frequently was practically built by the works they did for Asmus about 5-6 years ago. I have been observing Asmus since then and learnt a lot from them (so was 3zero). Just like Asums, EXO-6 is passion driven.

Just by looking at Asmus pricing and their qualities in the last 2 years, we are approaching 1/6 production the similar way, because this IS the only way to keep the passion production going, and no way around it.

I am 5-6 years behind Asmus....

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Hi Nanjin, just came back into the forums to see how you are doing, so glad to hear you have the license and I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for your fans, just wandering if your new company are only producing complete dolls or will you be making replacement parts for improving the QMX dolls as I would very much be interested in an upgraded Bones uniform for matching rank braids, Bones short sleeved top as I missed out on that one, Kirks wrap around green tunic, Journey to Babel outfits, Mirror Mirror and some extra reds for cannon fodder.
This is the second thing that came up to my mind when I signed my contract back in Aug.

How can we ALL have a Perfect set of Trek when there were so much damage to it in the past 2 years.

This issue is lineup'd in my business plan. It will be addressed thoroughly. I am already in talk with ?interested parties? on what I can and can't do. I am looking at this issue from all directions, including the resellers point of view because some previous end users can reach EXO-6 directly.

I must have struck a chord with the "entitlement" reference. That's the only thing that could somehow, in some way be construed as "name calling".

It was simply in reference to your statement: "...stick to giving realistic expectations to those who want his product,not teasers, and then deliver a June possibility for a product."

I indeed found that both as an entitlement attitude and quite hilarious, for the reasons that I posted. He owes us nothing. He could have kept quiet until the first figure(s) were ready for pre-order but instead, in his excitement and passion for the franchise and his new business venture, shared some tidbits of information which I found exciting and am looking forward to what EXO-6 has in store.

I have to admit that I found your following quote quite amusing: "If you cant take a different point of view without stooping to name calling please keep your nose and head buried and blind to the obvious,just so you can try and gain favour with Mr Tam."

You figured it out. Yep. I'm gaining favor with Mr. Tam, as he has promised me that if I bury my head and turn a blind eye to his postings, he will send me figures for free! The cat is out of the bag.

Bless you, no chord struck, just that it amuses me how you and some others hold such reverence without question.
Even when the promise of real progress is a but a self back slapping website with background of him and how he delivered Star trek and nothing to show product wise.

He could have stayed silent till he was ready to show product, even if only prototypes,and that is exactly what he should have done and if you thing Tidbits is the right word for nothing then all power to your elbow.

It seems that some are Dickensian in their view of it with nothing to show but crumbs then to ask "please sir can I have some more".

Well some of us were disappointed with being teased with developments that didnt transpire, and that in buisness could be harmful,because the initial excitement and support from a willing customer base can be taken away very quickly,and support and demand could also be affected.

So yes when you have something tangible to offer then self promote it,you cant promote and sustain an idea or a will, unless its a religion.... See any parallels.
Any hoo must go now as I dont have as much time as you for posting on this site daily.

Keep the faith....

See, there is another difference between you and me: I?ve known Nanjin for years, from the very beginning I?d say. He?s been fighting for ST since then. Frirst with customs (that I have), then we all thought he?d achieved his and our dreams with Qmx. We all know how the dream turned into a nightmare. Then Nanjin had to fight for the license. So you can say all you want. Maybe it won?t work out the the way he or we want, maybe there will be some disappointment, maybe it will be slower than anticipated, but I?ve known the man long enough and his belief in his passion to believe in him to take us where no toy company has gone before. If that worshipping, then I completely assume it. Nanjin has won our trust a long, long time ago.

Hallelujah.....
He may have won yours but trust is hard earned elsewhere especially in buisness, dont conflate the personal with buisness because the industry is brutal.

Andy, (i think is Andy) the founder of Asmus was a highly respectfully producer although I never met him in person. He has the same passion in LOTR as I have with Trek.

The paint shop that I worked with frequently was practically built by the works they did for Asmus about 5-6 years ago. I have been observing Asmus since then and learnt a lot from them (so was 3zero). Just like Asums, EXO-6 is passion driven.

Just by looking at Asmus pricing and their qualities in the last 2 years, we are approaching 1/6 production the similar way, because this IS the only way to keep the passion production going, and no way around it.

Thanks for sharing that. That?s neat to know and overall I have been extremely happy with what Asmus has been doing for LOTR. In my opinion they have done a pretty good job on character selection, price point, quality and amount of releases per year. Also for the most part each figure has surpassed the previous one with a few exceptions. I also appreciate their willingness to come to on this forum and interact with us./

Asta, thanks for sharing the Facebook posts. I hate going to Facebook so sometimes I miss the announcements and info posted on there.

Re: EXO-6 "Star Trek" 1/6 Line

Thanks for sharing that. That?s neat to know and overall I have been extremely happy with what Asmus has been doing for LOTR. In my opinion they have done a pretty good job on character selection, price point, quality and amount of releases per year. Also for the most part each figure has surpassed the previous one with a few exceptions. I also appreciate their willingness to come to on this forum and interact with us./

Asta, thanks for sharing the Facebook posts. I hate going to Facebook so sometimes I miss the announcements and info posted on there.
In my observation, Asmus and EXO-6 will be the only passion driven productions in 1/6. Star Ace was also passionate but they have other corperate business approach.

Once a 1/6 passion driven production became a business then they have a corporate burden to carry.

EXO-6 is at a point when Asmus started 6-7 years ago. The time when operation didnt need too much business thinking (demand was there and demand was more than supply).

I have a clear objective to produce as many and as deep in Trek before EXO-6 has to consider business trade-offs.

This means a clear and define dedication to reach this objective.

Leak a little here:

3 figures are in production, lining up the 4th, 5th and 6th, and preparing lots of prototypes.

EXO-6 should make some bangs in the coming months, and an even bigger bang in Sept.

Is trek 55th, I got to do something for Trek as a new member.

One of my worries is if a sculpt isn't close to the actor and can't be tweaked when it's in production before feedback can be taken.

I hope the captains first approach is happening. I'm rewatching Enterprise and would love Archer.

I'm happy to hear Asmus brought up by Nanjin as a company he respects. I always watch when new companies enter the market. I have seen the name Nanjin around here for many, many years and he has always made efforts in a positive direction for his life's passion. I am very excited for him with this new venture... I am very happy to hear him desire to emulate Asmus, which I believe is one of the better success stories in this hobby... and I am very eager for him to have success... Trek-cess! For everyone here.

Bless you, no chord struck, just that it amuses me how you and some others hold such reverence without question.
Even when the promise of real progress is a but a self back slapping website with background of him and how he delivered Star trek and nothing to show product wise.

He could have stayed silent till he was ready to show product, even if only prototypes,and that is exactly what he should have done and if you thing Tidbits is the right word for nothing then all power to your elbow.

It seems that some are Dickensian in their view of it with nothing to show but crumbs then to ask "please sir can I have some more".

Well some of us were disappointed with being teased with developments that didnt transpire, and that in buisness could be harmful,because the initial excitement and support from a willing customer base can be taken away very quickly,and support and demand could also be affected.

So yes when you have something tangible to offer then self promote it,you cant promote and sustain an idea or a will, unless its a religion.... See any parallels.
Any hoo must go now as I dont have as much time as you for posting on this site daily.

Keep the faith....

Yeah, but why should he have stayed quiet until he was ready to show a prototype? Because that works for you? That?s the way that you saw it going in your head? Maybe I am perfectly fine with the way he has chosen to roll it out? Maybe others are too? What makes you the expert?
Why are you operating under the false assumption that the way you want the company to roll out is the way that everyone else does?
It?s his company, he can do whatever he wants. If it doesn?t work for you, spend your money elsewhere. That is the arrogant entitlement that everyone keeps telling you about. What makes you the expert?
If you have run a successful 1/6 scale action figure company please let us know and then maybe your words will have a little more weight regarding what Nanjin should and should not do with his venture.
If not, you?re just another toy collector with an opinion, and it is peak arrogance to assume that your opinion should be followed above all else.

Looking forward to finally getting a 1:6 Star Trek line after so many years. Everyone stay calm. Nanjin will deliver.

He definitely will. He goes the mile past the extra mile. I cannot wait to see the first few figures, hopefully they'll be diverse from across the franchise.

I find that information truly... fascinating. :wink1:

As I mentioned before, you and Andy are truly the only two 1/6 figure company representatives that frequent this forum and offer not only information but ask for input from the collectors. That is extremely special.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that information truly... fascinating. :wink1:

As I mentioned before, you and Andy are truly the only two 1/6 figure company representatives that frequent this forum and offer not only information but ask for input from the collectors. That is extremely special.

For as much as Asmus asks for feedback on their products, I don't think it has made any discernible improvement.

Their great figures were great without feedback, i.e. I don't recall them asking for feedback on Gimli, and their poorer figures, which solicited feedback during the process, still turned out lacking, i.e. Helm's Deep Aragorn.

I'm not sure if that reflects poorly on the company or the quality of the feedback, or a combination of both. It makes me question why even ask for feedback in the first place? Is it to make the product better, or make the customer feel important?

I think the hero worship goes too far, as does the vitriol for the companies that don't interact. It seems silly to me that Nanjin Tam be regarded as some sort of deity, while Howard Chan be regarded as a devil, based solely on their interaction with the customer base, not based on the quality of their companies' respective product.

I am turned off from threads like this, in which adoration is showered on the company, not for the quality of the product, but because of the fact that the collectors get to feel important by interacting with a company representative.

[...]I am turned off from threads like this, in which adoration is showered on the company, not for the quality of the product, but because of the fact that the collectors get to feel important by interacting with a company representative.

I find myself wary of extremes in any direction. There are collectors here whom I've seen posting for years, and they appear more or less (ha ha) levelheaded, so I imagine they at least, don't wish to 'feel important' but feel better about a company they feel isn't as opaque and mysterious as others.

On the one hand, I can see the viewpoint of someone not caring for drawn-out teases and 'coming soon' messages, but I suppose that personally -- nothing matters to me one way or the other until I see final products being shipped, at which point I can judge for myself.

Mr. Tam appears to have a proven track record as far as some collectors are concerned, which is good enough for them.

When I see a final product, I'll decide whether or not to part with money and space, and the rest is immaterial.

I find myself wary of extremes in any direction. There are collectors here whom I've seen posting for years, and they appear more or less (ha ha) levelheaded, so I imagine they at least, don't wish to 'feel important' but feel better about a company they feel isn't as opaque and mysterious as others.

On the one hand, I can see the viewpoint of someone not caring for drawn-out teases and 'coming soon' messages, but I suppose that personally -- nothing matters to me one way or the other until I see final products being shipped, at which point I can judge for myself.

Mr. Tam appears to have a proven track record as far as some collectors are concerned, which is good enough for them.

When I see a final product, I'll decide whether or not to part with money and space, and the rest is immaterial.

Agree.

I don't sense too much blind faith in this thread. Not like Molecule 8. Tam has been around long enough to warrant some leeway. Was there a bit of disappointment on Jan. 1? Yes. Those of us who have been around long enough know there will be disappointments. There are probably going to be some bumps along the way with those 3 figures and the 4th this year. The faith comes in that Tam is in the business and that may help to lessen the bumps.

It is difficult, at times, to determine one's intent through text.

For as much as Asmus asks for feedback on their products, I don't think it has made any discernible improvement.

Their great figures were great without feedback, i.e. I don't recall them asking for feedback on Gimli, and their poorer figures, which solicited feedback during the process, still turned out lacking, i.e. Helm's Deep Aragorn.

I'm not sure if that reflects poorly on the company or the quality of the feedback, or a combination of both. It makes me question why even ask for feedback in the first place? Is it to make the product better, or make the customer feel important?

I think the hero worship goes too far, as does the vitriol for the companies that don't interact. It seems silly to me that Nanjin Tam be regarded as some sort of deity, while Howard Chan be regarded as a devil, based solely on their interaction with the customer base, not based on the quality of their companies' respective product.

I am turned off from threads like this, in which adoration is showered on the company, not for the quality of the product, but because of the fact that the collectors get to feel important by interacting with a company representative.

Hyperbole is big in this hobby, for some reason. I've found it in both praise and critique of figures and companies. But I honestly haven't seen anyone "hero worship" or treat Nanjin as some sort of "deity". At most, there's been some cheerleading due to the fact that he was involved with bringing the initial Star Trek 1/6 figure line to fruition and now obtaining the license and moving forward with more. That's about it.

As far as Asmus goes, they listened to the collectors and added an accessory (cape) to the upcoming Galadriel figure. The Helm's Deep Aragorn head sculpt went through a few iterations, based on collector feedback in the forum, as well. I think there were more instances but they don't come to mind now.

As far as Hot Toys goes, they are the top 1/6 figure company by far and it is all due to Howard Chan. While the majority of their figures are the best in the business, they have previewed dozens of figures that never saw the light of day. Then there are the numerous incomplete lines that I won't go into here. So critique is warranted as well as praise.

Ironically enough, it was I that started this thread to allow Nanjin's new endeavor to have it's own separate thread set apart from the other "QMX" thread. No "Hero Worship" motives here. Just thought it would be prudent to have a thread dedicated to the new company's products.

I've been a member of this forum (and the original forum before this one) for an embarrassingly long time. I've been in the hobby significantly longer. This has been a fun hobby all this time and I have never witnessed "blind faith", "hero worship", etc., to be honest. The fact that it's been brought up here has been truly surprising.

I just ignore the nanjin must do this or nanjin must do that post. Some people just look to stir the dookie, and I refuse to play into it. I will purchase whatever nanjin can produce, whenever he can produce it. Call me whatever you want, I'm a trek/nanjin fan.

Back