EXO-6 Star Trek "First Contact" figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are one fine pair of Trek figures.

FC release is going to be awesome.
e46de2f5-3780-47c5-b3ac-5c7a6c7ee477.jpg

News stations were reporting today to go do your holiday shopping now because the port congestion will leave toy shelves lightly stocked through the holidays. Literally everything we bring into the US on shipping containers is delayed. I would relax about the figure preorders and make sure everything else is well stocked at home.

I got my Picard this week too something I was very much looking forward to! The efforts fo fix the packaging are very much noted appreciated and effective! The quality overall is fantastic

I have to say though I’m a lot more disappointed with this release when Data was near perfect.
His body looks far too fat, notably on side profile. This may be able to be remedied with the right body replacement.

I have no issues with the outfit and accessories those are all top notch as per usual.

I have to say though the head sculpt is not up to par. I see very little Patrick Stewart in the sculpt especially compared to the tNG version which I think is stellar.
I think I’ll have to try my best to track down another TNG head because I don’t believe I can use this head sadly.

in any case I continue to admire this line immensely and support it endlessly. I’m pleased that it even exists and grateful for all of the effort put into it. While this head sculpt was a big miss, in my humble opinion, it gives me the basic ingredients to make a FC Picard at a reasonable price and for that I’m grateful for it.

As a slight update to my last post I do like the body situation a lot more if you pull off the fat pad under the pink tunic. It’s super easy anyone can do it with zero customization skills and it’s of course reversible. Not sure why that fat pad was added when the jacket itself is already padded but it looks much more natural. It also helped his much too short neck situation tkk

The fat pad on the legs can stay. Those work and are needed I think but you gotta ditch the upper pad.

i do belive a better body situation is out there but this is an easy and mandatory fix for the more apprehensive to alter their figure kind of collectors

I’m annoyed I did not grab those TNG Picards a when they were 99 dollars but I would have never known I would have sadly needed another one of those heads. Not sure what went wrong with this head. Hoping for better Picard portraits in the future

Yeah I'm still a bit undecided on the sculpt. It looks fantastic when underlit as in the Sideshow video, but not so much when lit from above for some reason. Which is how most of us will have this lit in our displays. So I'll be curious to see how it is in hand.

I'd be perfectly fine sacrificing my TNG Picard to use the head on this figure, except for the fact that head seems to be about 10% bigger, so not sure the proportions would work as well...

Mine arrived yesterday. I haven’t had much time to mess around with it but my initial thoughts are Picard is fantastic. He displays very well with Data too. The only nick pick I have at the moment is that the wrists and wrist pegs are very different colors than the hands and the transition is a little jarring. It’s minor though because you can adjust the sleeves to minimize it.

Yeah I'm still a bit undecided on the sculpt. It looks fantastic when underlit as in the Sideshow video, but not so much when lit from above for some reason. Which is how most of us will have this lit in our displays. So I'll be curious to see how it is in hand.

I'd be perfectly fine sacrificing my TNG Picard to use the head on this figure, except for the fact that head seems to be about 10% bigger, so not sure the proportions would work as well...
That’s interesting. I don’t own either (yet), but from the numerous photographs and videos I’ve seen online it appears FC Picard is the clearly superior sculpt, at least to my way of thinking. I always found TNG Picard sculpt “off” in a few key areas. And I am very excited to see the EXO- 6 TNG Picard.

Took me 2-4 days to like FC Picard every time I received an updated painted Picard sample. Because, I had been looking at the previous Picard for more than 6 year. My brain already registered this previous Picard as THE Picard (not even the show), and tried to fit FC Picard to my memory recall. Another issue is the expression. Picard only had this hatred expression for a few seconds in the entire TNG timeline. Nevertheless, this was the intention of FC Picard. He was doing everything that he told others not to do in his entire life. The last possible reason is the paint used doesn't have consistent reflection under different lighting (brand dependent)

But all cam be irrelevant because likeness can be subjective.

Interesting, I keep thinking this Picard puts the other one to shame. But yes, it's all perspective.

Raymond, any chance you could show us your Picard without padding? It doesn't bother me, but it might give some ideas!

That’s interesting. I don’t own either (yet), but from the numerous photographs and videos I’ve seen online it appears FC Picard is the clearly superior sculpt, at least to my way of thinking. I always found TNG Picard sculpt “off” in a few key areas. And I am very excited to see the EXO- 6 TNG Picard.

Yeah the TNG head still doesn't look quite there either. Part of the problem I think is that Patrick Stewart has a very asymmetrical face (which is apparent every time he looks in a mirror such as in FC), but most sculpts nowadays are done on a computer where they simply mirror everything perfectly on both sides. And when you hold up the TNG head to a mirror that's exactly what you see. So I'll be curious to see if the FC head does the same thing.

1 McH36axoFE3BZhBNzDiPvg.png

Yeah the TNG head still doesn't look quite there either. Part of the problem I think is that Patrick Stewart has a very asymmetrical face (which is apparent every time he looks in a mirror such as in FC), but most sculpts nowadays are done on a computer where they simply mirror everything perfectly on both sides. And when you hold up the TNG head to a mirror that's exactly what you see. So I'll be curious to see if the FC head does the same thing.

View attachment 538842
No. They don't mirror one side to another like everyone assumed. I thought the same before too.

It's lazy to do 3D sculpts like that. I used to do heads for Daz Studio and Poser figures and I always made sure to vary the symmetry as much as I possibly could. Eye size and height a twist to the nose and mouth, it all helped to create an interesting and more realistic face. I did a Summer Glau head once, it took over 10 different attempts before I got to something that I thought truly captured her. With DS and Poser you were limited by what parameters the base figure had. ZBrush doesn't have those limits, but, I never could afford it!

I think nanjin is right and everyone has a specific sense of likeness which is why it’s hard to agree. I’m really surprised how many do like the head more then the TNG one. It could be my subjective opinion which is definitely only one way to look at things. I’ve lent my services professionally for art directing likeness and sculpts for some toy companies so I’m also aware that sometimes things feel different in 3D than they do in renders.

the areas where I feel this Picard portrait is inferior to the last is mostly around the mouth area not the eye areas to be honest. While the eyes are a bit too small it’s really the mouth and the lack of definition on his cheek and smile line and the jawline and joules are a lot too thick and wide losing the signature of his likeness from the nose down. I feel his neck is also too thick making him appear younger and beefier than he ever did.

I think there’s something to the also which as nanjin said was intentional that may skew this a bit such as the eyebrows which I feel are the wrong shape too long and flat, even for the frown.

What I think is a lot more superior on this head aside from the paint which is actually phenomenal, is the sculpt in side profile. I feel this is miles better from the first especially the shape of his cranium.

I’ve got another tNG Picard on the way and will repaint it from scratch. Hopefully avoiding getting a stained one, I’ll accentuate some areas with paint to age him up ever so slightly.

inwill share the result of my reworked FC Picard afterwards.

one thing that’s safe to say is there are no losers when you pick up this figure and we are all a winner as it’s a phenomenal figure all around.

I’m looking forward to the queen statue and sad (but not sad for those that wanted them) for the voyager releases interruption as it’s the only trek along with discovery and the one before that, that I’ve never been a big fan of. But with more obscure releases like that it’s promising to see some Ds9 characters one day which is my favorite trek actually.

I want them from the later part of the series so they go well with my first contact figures. Sisko and j. Dax first please!!

In any case I know nanjin and team have a lot they are working on and I wait by with eager anticipation!

Anyone in AUS still awaiting their Picard, I reached out to China Post and they advised that if the item hasn’t been lost it could take up to 6 weeks for it to be shipped out. Bit of extra patience required.

I think nanjin is right and everyone has a specific sense of likeness which is why it’s hard to agree. I’m really surprised how many do like the head more then the TNG one. It could be my subjective opinion which is definitely only one way to look at things. I’ve lent my services professionally for art directing likeness and sculpts for some toy companies so I’m also aware that sometimes things feel different in 3D than they do in renders.

the areas where I feel this Picard portrait is inferior to the last is mostly around the mouth area not the eye areas to be honest. While the eyes are a bit too small it’s really the mouth and the lack of definition on his cheek and smile line and the jawline and joules are a lot too thick and wide losing the signature of his likeness from the nose down. I feel his neck is also too thick making him appear younger and beefier than he ever did.

I think there’s something to the also which as nanjin said was intentional that may skew this a bit such as the eyebrows which I feel are the wrong shape too long and flat, even for the frown.

What I think is a lot more superior on this head aside from the paint which is actually phenomenal, is the sculpt in side profile. I feel this is miles better from the first especially the shape of his cranium.

I’ve got another tNG Picard on the way and will repaint it from scratch. Hopefully avoiding getting a stained one, I’ll accentuate some areas with paint to age him up ever so slightly.

inwill share the result of my reworked FC Picard afterwards.

one thing that’s safe to say is there are no losers when you pick up this figure and we are all a winner as it’s a phenomenal figure all around.

I’m looking forward to the queen statue and sad (but not sad for those that wanted them) for the voyager releases interruption as it’s the only trek along with discovery and the one before that, that I’ve never been a big fan of. But with more obscure releases like that it’s promising to see some Ds9 characters one day which is my favorite trek actually.

I want them from the later part of the series so they go well with my first contact figures. Sisko and j. Dax first please!!

In any case I know nanjin and team have a lot they are working on and I wait by with eager anticipation!

Some good points there. What can be odd to us sometimes is that we're suddenly seeing in 3D what we're so used to seeing in 2D on our screens. Without knowing or living with the stars themselves, sculpted likenesses are often the only way we get to see them as we would people we know and see regularly. There are also things like camera angles to take into account.

If you want to see an amazing Patrick Stewart likeness, this one from Amelia Rowcroft is as good as it gets:

Some good points there. What can be odd to us sometimes is that we're suddenly seeing in 3D what we're so used to seeing in 2D on our screens. Without knowing or living with the stars themselves, sculpted likenesses are often the only way we get to see them as we would people we know and see regularly. There are also things like camera angles to take into account.

If you want to see an amazing Patrick Stewart likeness, this one from Amelia Rowcroft is as good as it gets:

Amazing sculpt, am always impressed by such talent

Back