Ebay winners not paying?????

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get Tracking Number when you ship, Insurance is a good option.

Describe item as best you could. I never put "mint" maybe "Near Mint"

Don't sell to "picky" people.

I am going to ask one more time, just to be sure I have every bit of help possible.

What steps should I go about to being sure I do not get screwed as a seller? I want to make sure they can't lie and say the box is empty, etc. And then they get refunded and the item...

Any advice is more than appreciated.

Track and insure at full value (always and no exceptions). If the item goes for less than what you paid, always insure it for the MSRP (I usually go overboard and insure it for double). Always fully document the item with pics (LOTS of them) unboxed and in packaging (open styrofoam if statues), and even in the box, box in shipper showing packaging, etc. I always include a pic of the item with the buyer's paypal invoice printed where you can clearly see the date to correspond with tracking info. It also helps to have a PayPal Merchant Account (free w/free debit card), so they won't seize your account if a dispute gets filed.

Track and insure at full value (always and no exceptions). If the item goes for less than what you paid, always insure it for the MSRP (I usually go overboard and insure it for double). Always fully document the item with pics (LOTS of them) unboxed and in packaging (open styrofoam if statues), and even in the box, box in shipper showing packaging, etc. I always include a pic of the item with the buyer's paypal invoice printed where you can clearly see the date to correspond with tracking info. It also helps to have a PayPal Merchant Account (free w/free debit card), so they won't seize your account if a dispute gets filed.

Dang, that's a lot to do to CYA but there's no way I would have the time for it with everything I sell on eBay.

If something is over $250 I always require a signature for delivery or ship it Express Mail only for international buyers.

I insure just about everything that's $100 or more but I find it's a waste of money for lesser items when shipping by USPS. I pack everything well and have never had to file an insurance claim as a seller. The tracking is the most important thing for those items.

Surprisingly 99% of the packages I ship by First Class Mail International have no issues getting delivered but I only use it for low value items and they have to weigh less than 4 pounds. I find that offering this shipping option increases bidder activity significantly for some smaller items.

The biggest problem I had was when a guy filed a chargeback through his credit card for an item he bought from me 2 months previously. The item was shipped out and delivered within the week using delivery confirmation. I had proof of delivery yet Paypal could do nothing to help me as the buyer said the item was "not as described". He never tried to contact me and never returned the item. I was out the entire amount of the figure ($60) plus the cost of shipping and had nothing to show for it.

Crap like that is what makes me livid about the current eBay system. They will do everything to protect the buyer and just crap on sellers all day long. Then they make you jump through a dozen hoops to try and qualify for their discounts. If you miss just one thing because some d-bag leaves you unfair feedback then you're back to square one and they don't give a flip because it's more money in their pockets.

It's all about covering your ass. Might not seem like much but if someone tries to screw you, your ass is covered. As for insuring things less than $100, honestly, I'd rather pay $1 in insurance than have PayPal seize $90 or even $50 because the postal carrier played soccer with it and the buyer's whining because the shipper's dented.

Ok, this one's a Buyer issue. I tried to find a relevent 'for buyers' thread but I guess there aren't any. Don't know where to post this, so I thought this would be the best place instead of opening a new thread.

I bought a statue and it was shipped from Baltimore via USPS Priority on 6th March. I am in India. Haven't recieved it till date. Opened a case in the resolution centre. Seller escalated the case on the same day. Case got closed today in seller's favour. Now, I am without $98 or the statue.

Seller said that the package was insured and they will refund me only when they get the money from USPS. That would've taken 23 days more, and thus, I would've lost my right to file a claim with eBay. Hence, I went with the eBay resolution centre.

Never had any 'delays' issue with USPS Priority since 2006 when I got into collecting. Its 7 to 15 days flat to my country.

As much as I want to trust seller's honesty, I don't want to lose my hard earned money either.

Tracking# CW184079932US
USPS Tracking: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action

Whenever a USPS international package leaves US and/or enters the destination country, it shows as: Processed Through Sort Facility. In this case you will note that its still stuck at Miami. Example: Another package I got from the US this month: CJ463803441US

I can appeal against eBay's decision. Or... don't know what...

Will really really appreciate any and every thoughts on this folks. Thanks a lot for reading.

Last edited:
The USPS tracking updates can sometimes vary. I think because this item is listed as "customs clearance" it's viewed by eBay as being out of the U.S. and dispatched as promised from the seller. Whatever happens from that point is the responsibility of your country to get the item through their customs and to you. I would say it's probably lost since it hasn't been delivered in 6 weeks.

Hopefully the seller will still be willing to work with you to claim the insurance and then refund your money. Settling insurance claims with the USPS takes some time though.

Thanks Zodach. I hope so. Any idea how long can a buyer appeal against eBay's decision. Does it really help? Searched the web but there's nothing about buyers, only about sellers. : /

Anyways, I really hope that either the package gets delivered or USPS refunds money to the seller.

Wish we could give eBay a negative feedback.

Another question I had in mind is, why did it go from Baltimore to Miami? After it shows Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility, I guess it should show the destination country as the next stop.

Just wanted to give sellers here a heads up. Someone messaged me today and warned me about buyer "flafla29" who is based in Paris, France. The buyer purchased a Mark II EX from this seller, and returned it damaged with cat hair and won his ebay dispute as "Item Not Described" even though his cat was the one who damaged it. Not sure how legit this is, but I'd rather not take a chance and lose out on hundreds.

I haven't had much of a problem, or not enough of one to notice before, with retracted bids.

But jeez, they're starting to get annoying. I don't care so much about a lot of the retractions (since they're not the scammy "bid $1,000 to see what the highest bidder is at" type), but the false reasoning just bugs me. It feels like the kind of "lying to mom and dad" type of thing, to not get in trouble with eBay.

Not that eBay would do anything anyway, even though I report the worst ones. Someone who retracted a bid today, citing "Cannot contact seller" (even though they never tried), has about 30 retractions in the past year. Yet he's still going strong, as long as eBay thinks they will make money off of him.

What is with some people? I'm selling a figure on Ebay and I get a message - "If this doesn't sell, I offer XX amount" which one, is shipping to a different country and two, is a lot lower than what my starting bid is. Then, the same person a couple days later after I relisted the item, says "can you lower the starting bid". I just can't believe the audacity of some people.

What is with some people? I'm selling a figure on Ebay and I get a message - "If this doesn't sell, I offer XX amount" which one, is shipping to a different country and two, is a lot lower than what my starting bid is. Then, the same person a couple days later after I relisted the item, says "can you lower the starting bid". I just can't believe the audacity of some people.

That's why you can block users. :lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly:

I have another question.

I currently have a non paying bidder. Today is day 7. Tomorrow or the next day if there is still no payment, I plan to file a non-paying bidder with ebay. But I also don't want to sell it to them if that happens because the sale will likely go further downhill with some negative feedback from them, etc. Is there any way to file a non paying bidder and then also choose not to sell it to them in the end?

I have another question.

I currently have a non paying bidder. Today is day 7. Tomorrow or the next day if there is still no payment, I plan to file a non-paying bidder with ebay. But I also don't want to sell it to them if that happens because the sale will likely go further downhill with some negative feedback from them, etc. Is there any way to file a non paying bidder and then also choose not to sell it to them in the end?

I'm concerned about that myself. I plan on filing a non paying dispute later today due to no payment and no communication and I'm worried they'll pay and be pissed and leave me negative feedback and spoil my 100% positive.

It really sucks that if you do everything 100% right as a seller you still get shafted in the end.

Got an email from eBay regarding new Seller Protections that are starting.

"Starting April 23, all Feedback and related DSRs left by a buyer for a transaction where the buyer had an unpaid item recorded, will automatically be removed, whether or not you are using Unpaid Item Assistant, as long as you required eBay Checkout, an eBay approved electronic payment method, and local pick up was not offered."

I think that feedback will only be removed if the buyer doesn't pay for the item. If you open up a non-paying buyer case on eBay and the buyer pays within the 3-4 day window after that then the case is dropped and not recorded on their account. Hopefully they wouldn't leave you negative feedback just because you opened up the case against them, because if you don't get any communication from them there's no way to know what they're thinking.

It's always best to send them a couple messages through eBay to notify them that they need to pay within a certain number of days or you will have to open up a case against them to get a refund on your seller fees. I usually resend the invoice after 4 days, then follow up with a couple messages the next few days. If they haven't paid after 6-7 days and they haven't contacted me to let me know when payment is going to be made, I file a case against them. I think it's more than fair and have not received negative feedback from any of those slow payers.

I contacted them twice already. And I just sent an invoice. Today is the last day before it goes to non paying. I heard back a few days ago saying they would pay on the 25th. Heard nothing since. Also, I looked at their feedback, they have bought other things since buying my item and they paid for those things already.

I contacted them twice already. And I just sent an invoice. Today is the last day before it goes to non paying. I heard back a few days ago saying they would pay on the 25th. Heard nothing since. Also, I looked at their feedback, they have bought other things since buying my item and they paid for those things already.

Same with me. Paid for other items since buying mine. They're jerking you off. :impatient:

I give those _____es three days, no payment after three, I give them three extra days to respond to my emails.....no response....then I file a non-paying bidder on the 7th day and they suck ass because they never get penalized for it. ____ eBay.

I give those _____es three days, no payment after three, I give them three extra days to respond to my emails.....no response....then I file a non-paying bidder on the 7th day and they suck ass because they never get penalized for it. ____ eBay.

I just filed because I am so tired of this. This is the third person this has happened with. If they leave me negative feedback, or lie and say something was broken, etc, I am going to be so pissed.

Back