Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hated BR 2049 but I think I was too close.
Run.

1405000885417.jpg

Cruise had weight fluctuations for some roles back in the day. Maybe it's that Hogan thing you said. Getting bogged is an unfortunate path to go down.

the-actor.jpg
Ew. Is it mandated in Hollywood to **** up your face ? No wonder people think celebrities are lizard people in disguise

I suppose they develop Body Dysmorphia due to the circles they frequent. Hollywood's a phony place after all.
Actors tend to have a low self esteem due to the amount of rejection they go through auditioning. Billy Bob Thornton was told to his face he was "too ugly to be an actor and that he should quit." As a result, many not only develop body dysmorphia, but a need to please others and be phony, because they want to fit in.

Last edited:
I spent a few months in Hollywood in 2003. It was the phoniest place I've ever seen in my life.

I know there are some dudes on this board that were/are in the "industry" but I have no idea how anyone could put up with that.

Actors tend to have a low self esteem due to the amount of rejection they go through auditioning. Billy Bob Thornton was told to his face he was "too ugly to be an actor and that he should quit." As a result, many not only develop body dysmorphia, but a need to please others and be phony, because they want to fit in.
I'm not 100% sure it's the rejection. Some of them may be pre-disposed to low self-esteem in the first place. I know a lot of them with varying degrees of success. Some of them are stereotypically self-centred and over the top, others are very introverted and quiet, but they seem to be more rare.

I'm not 100% sure it's the rejection. Some of them may be pre-disposed to low self-esteem in the first place. I know a lot of them with varying degrees of success. Some of them are stereotypically self-centred and over the top, others are very introverted and quiet, but they seem to be more rare.
I wonder if artists in general are like that, or just actors. Politicians too probably. Basically, anyone who is in front of the camera, including people in the media. If so, what about "influencers" and people in social media or Youtube with large followings? It was interesting seeing certain "celebrities" looking for attention online during the pandemic. It's as if they needed to be in front of a camera and receive some validation. :lol

I spent a few months in Hollywood in 2003. It was the phoniest place I've ever seen in my life.

I know there are some dudes on this board that were/are in the "industry" but I have no idea how anyone could put up with that.
Depends what part of the industry you're in, to an extent.

I've worked in a lot of capacities in different fields over the decades, and I'd say the worst atmospheres in general were corporate office environments of any kind, although generally toxic and dysfunctional is how I'd describe a lot of big, busy hospitality environments for very different reasons. Nothing was all bad, all the time but I'll avoid offices and conventional 9-5s for the rest of my life as I have for the past 20 years, and I'd never put up with hospitality industry nonsense again -- I'm not talking about the customers, 95% of them are just fine.

Independent film was often problematic, but that may have been bad luck; now union environments by and large I've found to be very nice places to work.

I have noticed that millennials seem to have a harder time in general because they can be thin-skinned and stress out over things I don't notice. Not sure if that says more about them or the abusive jobs I've worked in the past making me twisted and evil. :LOL:

I wonder if artists in general are like that, or just actors. Politicians too probably. Basically, anyone who is in front of the camera, including people in the media. If so, what about "influencers" and people in social media or Youtube with large followings? It was interesting seeing certain "celebrities" looking for attention online during the pandemic. It's as if they needed to be in front of a camera and receive some validation. :lol
I've worked in art and design for a long time, sold my first work when I was 20. When I was younger, absolutely. But I think most of us eventually grow up and de-program ourselves. I've never met an influencer with a clue or healthy self-esteem, but that's admittedly a small sample size.

It plays a part, but I think most people begin with a "framework" in mind. I doubt Buscemi ever auditioned for the part of the handsome MC. You begin by knowing your strengths and weaknesses. I think the ones who are already good looking are more at risk. Fading youth and relevance and all. I also think the shift in marketing in the 10s compared to the 90s and 00s also plays a large role and we're going to see even worse cases.

There are home theaters better than the cinema now lol

Only true 70mm Imax remains top experience.
If it wasn't for The Plague I'd still go to the theatre. Particularly the 'VIP' experience up here where they'll bring you an Old Fashioned and snacks while you kick back in a nice seat - that's how I watched Endgame. We also have a couple of nice rep/indie cinemas for something other than the blockbuster experience.

Back