Detolf Modifications.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys

Nothing to do with shelves or mirrors here.
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good lock to use on their Detolf?
I used to use the ikea effektiv lock but they no longer sell them.
Anyone know of an alternative?
Don't want anyone's grubby mitts on my stuff! :)

Are you using cable ties to secure the rods? Don't think it's a good idea long term as the plastic will deteriorate & the weight of the statues seems abit too much for it.

Unless you use metal cable ties.

I don't know what detolf thread had it ... But using window locks...and L Shaped brackets I was able to customize the shelves to the height I wanted ... So that you to whoever posted that....cuz it's awesome!!!

how do the l brackets attach?

The window locks hook onto the verticals metal bars... The l shaped bracket goes on the window lock. You put it on where you tighten the window lock. I use a sticky rubber circle to keep the glass from moving... I'll post pics soon to show... But I love it...

I was looking for ways to add more shelf space to my detolf and I found this site:

https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Customizing_a_Glass_Display_Case_by_AesSedai

Anyone ever try his method? I would definitely add some felt squares or something to the corners so the glass isn't pushing up against the wire rope clips.

I tried finding a local glaizer to cut some glass but they were going to charge like $30 for each sheet which is way too much.

I found these glass sheets at a local home depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/16-in-x-20-in-Clear-Glass-91620/202091045#.UiZZMTZ018E

I was thinking of getting a glass cutter and cutting these to the right size but I never cut glass before so I'm hesitant to try it out.

Most of the stuff in my Detolf is within the 6-7 inch scale so there is a lot of extra space right now. Hopefully I can find a good glaizer to cut the right size/thickness for me.

Anyone ever try his method? I would definitely add some felt squares or something to the corners so the glass isn't pushing up against the wire rope clips.

I'm using this method to house both my Hulk & Iron Monger in Detolf's and it's great.
The wire rope clips/clamps really are perfect. Just make sure you have a tool small enough that will allow you to tighten the screws once you have them in place.
I decided to add 2 per corner, just as a safeguard and extra support but it probably is unnecessary.

Also, like you stated it's a great idea to add felt pieces to the corners of the shelf that contacts the metal clamps to prevent sliding and scratches.

041_zpsd8cc17e0.jpg

The 3/16" clamps at my local hardware store were 79 cents/each and they sold packs of adhesive felt called 'Super Sliders' by Waxman for less than 5 dollars.
Cheap and easy!

Would you be able to take a picture of metal clamps? I'm just curious to see how you used two for each corner.

I need to find a glazier who is willing to cut glass for relatively cheap.

In regards to having dioder lights in a detolf, I have seen a lot of people where they have all the excess wires on the bottom shelf fed through the back of the cabinet. What is the easiest way to go about this?

At the moment I have the wires running underneath the door but they look unsightly and I would rather hide them out of the way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Would you be able to take a picture of metal clamps? I'm just curious to see how you used two for each corner.

Sure, here you go:

WIreclampsetup_zpsc267d575.jpg

In regards to having dioder lights in a detolf, I have seen a lot of people where they have all the excess wires on the bottom shelf fed through the back of the cabinet. What is the easiest way to go about this?

At the moment I have the wires running underneath the door but they look unsightly and I would rather hide them out of the way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Imo drilling a small hole near one of the back corners is simplest.
You can run your wires directly down the silver post and drop them right through the hole you drilled and under the Detolf base.

Back