Detolf Modifications.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I'd share my tips here on how to get the wiring for dioder fed through the bottom of the detolf.

When assembling and putting the side glass panel and back panel together with the plastic molding, leave a 1cm gap at the very bottom of one of he corners. This will be enough to feed all four leads of wire. Pull each wire to the appropriate length to feed power to the LEDs on each shelf (hopefully by this point you already have the LEDs positioned exactly where you want them on the shelves and roof of the case).

Now put the rest of the case together and connect the wires to the lights.

From behind the detolf, pull each wire carefully to reduce the slack. Now use plastic zip ties to secure at the rods, preferably where the shelves meet to avoid making them too obvious.

Pull the remaining slack off the cable through the back to make the cables nice and taut. I use double sided transparent tape to adhere the cable to the shelf so there is absolutely no wire dangling or any slack at all.

Secure the slack behind the case in a tight bundle around your hand and bind it with more zip ties.

The result is a pretty neatly wired detolf.

Still a bit of work to do but getting there, I like the extra space having only 3 scetions gives, need to find a local welder next, then re-paint.

IMG_5868.jpg

What has so far been the best proven method to support the weight of the glass?

I am thinking of getting a Detolf for my lord of the rings Sideshow/Weta pieces.

Back