Detolf Modifications.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you make the bends on the steal rods? Would you also be in the market for making the rods for people if need be?

Yes I would also like to know if you would be selling the rods?

Hi fellas
Yeh ..I've already been aproached about selling the rods,
but at this point in time I wouldn't be able to as I'm about to start moving
house and I just wouldnt have the spare time to make these especially
as some people would need several pairs.
Sorry to disapoint.
There is no doubt that I will be making these again in the near future
and if anyone would like to be notified just let me know.

DarthMagnaus
I bent the rods using a steel bending machine I have axess to at work.
But you can also bend the rods using a vice and a hammer.

I've often thought about modding my Detolf's like making a top & bottom piece as wide as three detolf's & removing the inside glass panels, allowing to put one wide shelf in which could hold wider items like the Bikerscout on Bike or Jabba or getting someone with welding experience ( I know a few) who could make the metal frames with different shelf heights..mmmm

here's my rough idea for the mod please excuse the crudity (I also left the doors & backs off), The spares could be put towards creating more detolfs :)

Last edited:
I've often thought about modding my Detolf's like making a top & bottom piece as wide as three detolf's & removing the inside glass panels, allowing to put one wide shelf in which could hold wider items like the Bikerscout on Bike or Jabba or getting someone with welding experience ( I know a few) who could make the metal frames with different shelf heights..mmmm

here's my rough idea for the mod please excuse the crudity (I also left the doors & backs off), The spares could be put towards creating more detolfs :)

Thats cool man, I was also thinking about something like that a while back.
You think you will give it a go???

Thats cool man, I was also thinking about something like that a while back.
You think you will give it a go???
Yeah, just got to get off my butt & do some real measurements, A peace of MDF Top and Bottom 2 of those plastic joiners & the cost of the glass shelves.
It would really open it up, you'd loose about 90mm in length but would make up for in display options and spreading your figures out, I might look into making new spaces so my MR helmets don't waist so much space also, my brother inlaw could easily do the Detolf style frames up.

Great mods guys can I ask where do you get the lights for the top of these as I just got a Detolf shelf from IKEA they recently opened here in Dublin at last!! There is a hole in the top for a light fitting but they didn't seem to have the lights for it, any ideas, thanks :D

That looks fantastic. The welding will be key. They've got to be much stronger than the default. Please do keep us posted on this.

Those are some good mods and the mirrored glass really makes the difference. I would also suggest replacing the side glass facing the wall with mirrored. I've put this on my list of gotta-do's and I'm also thinking about some sort of acid glass etching for the mirrors.

Those are some good mods and the mirrored glass really makes the difference. I would also suggest replacing the side glass facing the wall with mirrored. I've put this on my list of gotta-do's and I'm also thinking about some sort of acid glass etching for the mirrors.

Looking forward to seeing some pic's.

I was thinking about replacing the wall side with mirror but I am currently
in the process of moving house, so I'll prob have a new set up at the new
place. See what happens.

Well here's an update on my Detolf Mod, My problem was
A: that the Detolf shelf was approx I/2 inch to high to fit my 1:1 Endo
B: Even if it could hold the Endo the Endo simply weighs to much for the shelf.

Solution: remove the top shelf & replace with a new crossbar shelf to help support the weight on the glass
here's the pics, you can see the cross bars and that the shelf now sits an inch lower it, still needs a tidy up as the welds are bigger than the standard, but the Endo does distract from that

The light for the Detolf from Ikea is called the "Non." You should be able to find it in a search.

As a matter a fact, look here...of course, this the US site...
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90143486

Be very careful with the "NON" Halogen lights as they are not kidding when they say that they get very hot. The lights get hot enough to scorch material or even set it on fire with direct contact:devil.

my detolfs l re welded all the bars with a mig welder and added suports to go under the glass,so the metal rods can support my lord of the rings pf and and supports under the glass so if the glass snaps the figure will not come crashing down.and l put a mirror on the back ass well but behind the rear glass and used very strong windshield 2 way tape to hold the mirror on the back,it looks sweet.

Back