Del Toro and The Hobbit Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think some of this came about because they don't have access to some of the other info that would fill out a bridge film. What they do have can just add too The Hobbit and make two fantastic films. That being said I can't wait for this stuff to get out.

lol. All i meant was that the biggest thing that happened is.....Bilbo finding a ring. Yes there was a battle and yes Gandalf worked to remove Smaug as a danger to the West but even Tolkien admitted that despite the finding of the ring, the rest could have just been put in the LOTR appendices along with a whole host of other great stories - The rise of the Witch King anyone? Now THAT would make a great movie!!

What kind of a fan are you?! :duh

They should make a huge trilogy again!! :D

I would have liked to see that "bridge" movie actually but I can't complain if they are expanding "The Hobbit" into two movies. Here's for hoping for a third movie to bridge the gap! ;) :D

If the 2 part Hobbit does as well as we all imagine it will, I imagine there will be other movies. There is the The Silmarillion/Children of Hurin stuff that more movies can be made from. I imagine more movies will be made as long as they are successful.

If the 2 part Hobbit does as well as we all imagine it will, I imagine there will be other movies. There is the The Silmarillion/Children of Hurin stuff that more movies can be made from. I imagine more movies will be made as long as they are successful.

And alot of stuff in the Appendices that can be fleshed out.

I'd love a Númenórean movie myself! :D

Unfortunately, you're forgetting about getting the rights to make them. Christopher Tolkien (JJR's son) has an iron grip on the Sil/Hurin/etc. and he has been unrelenting in NOT wanting this stuff put on the screen. I would imagine that Jackson/DelToro abandoned the "bridge" concept when some of the plot/character lines might have touched on stuff mentioned in places other than LOTR or Hobbit. All kinda law suits would've held up the Hobbit until your grandchildren's time.

When did i say it was 'just' a ring? It WAS, however, 'just' the start of the war of the ring! The battle of five armies itself is no less important than other historical conflicts and moments in the history of middle-earth, first that springs to mind is the one i have mentioned, the rise of the Witch-King, which in theory COULD be made into a movie, based as it is from the LOTR appendices, so is fair game for PJ / whoever to exploit. We already have a very good game about it of course! And i'm sure most people wouldn't object to a movie in which the Witch King is the main character :D

I would have liked to see that "bridge" movie actually but I can't complain if they are expanding "The Hobbit" into two movies. Here's for hoping for a third movie to bridge the gap! ;) :D

The bridge movie could still come, but after these two. I think it's great they're splitting this into two, but with the possible bridge movie coming even later, say 2014, I doubt most of the actors from LotR would still be able to be in it due to age.

The bridge movie could still come, but after these two. I think it's great they're splitting this into two, but with the possible bridge movie coming even later, say 2014, I doubt most of the actors from LotR would still be able to be in it due to age.

Yeah if they are gonna do it they are gonna have to start it right with The Hobbit and as such do 3 movies at once.

Unfortunately, you're forgetting about getting the rights to make them. Christopher Tolkien (JJR's son) has an iron grip on the Sil/Hurin/etc. and he has been unrelenting in NOT wanting this stuff put on the screen. I would imagine that Jackson/DelToro abandoned the "bridge" concept when some of the plot/character lines might have touched on stuff mentioned in places other than LOTR or Hobbit. All kinda law suits would've held up the Hobbit until your grandchildren's time.

You would think at how wonderful the LotR trilogy came out that C. Tolkien would like to see his books on the screen as well. Oh well, alot can change with time. His mind for one thing.

Yep cant wait for the release of these films.Hoping DT does bring something different but also that they have some of that familiar feel from LOTR.

Not expecting them to reach the level of rings but fingers crossed they still turn out to be quality.:)

I'm not sure about the sequel thingy they are planning.

Kinda wish they would end the whole saga with an interesting "Finding Neverland" type film where its a Tolkien biography mixed with cut scenes of his books realized. They could obviously reuse footage from the 4 other films plus new scenes from the books they didn't fit in the other films plus the Silmarillion, the appendixes, etc. A great way to sneak stuff like Tom Bambodil and the poetics and songs of his writing into a film as well as really delve into how he created the languages and world and used his world as a metaphore for things going on in his time.

These scenes would be cut within a story of his life in the war, as a teacher, his faith, etc.

I just think that would be really interesting and personal way to give Tolkien a really cool "thank you" .

Last edited:
Back