Del Toro and The Hobbit Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes!! This is the best way to go. A 'bridge' movie could make little to no sense, and you'd have to go back in time to resolve where Gandalf went when he left the dwarves in Mirkwood, and Mirkwood, when the dwarves are captured (Either by the spiders or the elves) would be the perfect place to finish film one. Plus then 'The Hobbit' would be the title of both films with a sub-title for film 1 and 2, like 'The Quest of Erebor' and 'There and back again'.
Bring it on!!

I'm pretty new here so I don't know if this has been discussed before but here's my question:
Does anyone know if Sideshow has already obtained the license to do Hobbit statues? I sure hope so. I wonder if they will do Weta/Sideshow items? I just hope that Sideshow is involved with the Hobbit so that our collections can continue to grow.

I'm pretty new here so I don't know if this has been discussed before but here's my question:
Does anyone know if Sideshow has already obtained the license to do Hobbit statues? I sure hope so. I wonder if they will do Weta/Sideshow items? I just hope that Sideshow is involved with the Hobbit so that our collections can continue to grow.

No they haven't gone into licensing talks with anyone yet, but it's pretty much assured that Weta will do statues, busts, enviros etc. The question is who will work with them for distribution? There remains many question marks about the sudden end to the SSW partnership, and Weta went with other companies for their following lines. Personally i hope we DO see a return of Sideshow/Weta, as Sideshow's service has been great (Apart from certain PPO dioramas!) and it was such a success the first time.

Thanks for your answer. I wasn't collecting SS LOTR yet when the SS and Weta split happened. You said it was sudden. Is there any information about what happened and if the split was so bad that a new partnership for Hobbit would be unlikely? Maybe Sideshow will get a Premium Format and Diorama license (which I assume they are currently doing without Weta, correct?) and Weta will do the Statues, Scaled Replcas and Environments with another company? I have the Weta Narnia statues (I can't remember who they partnered with for those) and they are pretty nice. By the way, there are a few Prince Caspian Weta statues coming out soon. Of course, Narnia has fallen off the radar map so the Narnia Weta statues aren't very popular but they were of good quality so Weta can do good stuff with others than Sideshow. But like you, I would prefer that The Hobbit get the Weta/SS partnership going again.

Thanks for your answer. I wasn't collecting SS LOTR yet when the SS and Weta split happened. You said it was sudden. Is there any information about what happened and if the split was so bad that a new partnership for Hobbit would be unlikely? Maybe Sideshow will get a Premium Format and Diorama license (which I assume they are currently doing without Weta, correct?) and Weta will do the Statues, Scaled Replcas and Environments with another company? I have the Weta Narnia statues (I can't remember who they partnered with for those) and they are pretty nice. By the way, there are a few Prince Caspian Weta statues coming out soon. Of course, Narnia has fallen off the radar map so the Narnia Weta statues aren't very popular but they were of good quality so Weta can do good stuff with others than Sideshow. But like you, I would prefer that The Hobbit get the Weta/SS partnership going again.

weta narnia stuff is nice but it does'nt retain it's value you could find it for dirt cheap on ebay. hopefully sideshow and weta work together on the hobbit.

I got the whole Weta Narnia set for next to nothing on ebay. I couldn't believe how much stuff I got. I can't remember how much I paid since it was a while back but it was like only 2 or 3 hundred dollars for the complete line.

It seemed sudden to everyone at the time. The line was going well, SS had an ES of thousands for every piece, and everyone was looking forward to more. Then there was an announcement that there would be 5 or 6 more announcements in one go, but it turned out that these would be the last pieces until they closed the line and partnership, and many people were upset with what they saw as an incomplete line, there being some characters missing from the bust line, more environments they would have liked to have seen, but most of all no statues of characters such as Eomer, Faramir, Denethor and mouth of Sauron on steed. Many people suggested there had been a disagreement betwen SS and Weta, but i don't know how true that is.
SS are doing a PF and diorama license, but that's only for LOTR, not Hobbit at the moment.
And i think Dark Horse worked with Weta for Kong and Narnia. Whatever Weta do is quality stuff, but nothing has been as popular as their LOTR stuff. Yet. Until The Hobbit!

No they haven't gone into licensing talks with anyone yet, but it's pretty much assured that Weta will do statues, busts, enviros etc. The question is who will work with them for distribution? There remains many question marks about the sudden end to the SSW partnership, and Weta went with other companies for their following lines. Personally i hope we DO see a return of Sideshow/Weta, as Sideshow's service has been great (Apart from certain PPO dioramas!) and it was such a success the first time.

Given the new Weta website, there warehouse's for local shipping costs in NZ, US and UK and that their quality/customer service has generally been outstanding, I fully expect them to "go it alone" with whatever they do for The Hobbit collectibles.
Sure they made a few mistakes along the way, large ES for later LOTR items and the first Narnia line (hence why those are so cheap now), but lesson's seem to have been learned, both Doctor Who and Halo have reasonable edition sizes and been selling well. Prince Caspian just didn't work out for them, but all credit to them, instead of killing it all off, they dropped the ES to 100 and continued to sell the statues. I personally have Reepicheep on order (which is sold out now) and can't wait to get him.
As for what SS may do or be allowed to do, only time will tell.

In relation to today's announcement, I guess that means we won't be seeing a young Frodo, Sam, Merry or Pippin. No Eomer, Faramir or Boromir either. Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn are possible, but only as cameo's I guess.

I would have liked to see that "bridge" movie actually but I can't complain if they are expanding "The Hobbit" into two movies. Here's for hoping for a third movie to bridge the gap! ;) :D

Me too. I wish they would just make a new trilogy and make the Hobbit properly within two films and then have the third film be a bridge film. ...You would think with the money that LOTR made they would WANT another trilogy.

Yeah they should milk it for all it's worth! And not by making us buy the same movies on Blu-Ray twice but by making everything they can find into movies! I would not mind it if they made this into a trilogy and then do another one that takes place before everything and shows the story of Aragorn's roots and his people's roots! :D

Something within me just died at that statement! lol. LOTR was a trilogy because it was a big event. The Hobbit was a smaller event and thus there shouldn't be a trilogy!

SMALLER EVENT!!!!!

FOR SHAME!!!!!!!

NO SOUP FOR YOU................

GO TO YOUR ROOM!!!!!!

:banghead :mad:

lol. All i meant was that the biggest thing that happened is.....Bilbo finding a ring. Yes there was a battle and yes Gandalf worked to remove Smaug as a danger to the West but even Tolkien admitted that despite the finding of the ring, the rest could have just been put in the LOTR appendices along with a whole host of other great stories - The rise of the Witch King anyone? Now THAT would make a great movie!!

lol. All i meant was that the biggest thing that happened is.....Bilbo finding a ring. Yes there was a battle and yes Gandalf worked to remove Smaug as a danger to the West but even Tolkien admitted that despite the finding of the ring, the rest could have just been put in the LOTR appendices along with a whole host of other great stories - The rise of the Witch King anyone? Now THAT would make a great movie!!

Just a ring???

JUST A RING?????

JUST ANY OL RING!!!!!

MR YOUR IN IT DEEP NOW!!!!!

TO YOUR ROOM!!!!!

Exactly! Not just a ring! The ONE ring! But we already have a pretty good trilogy on that, so there's no need to make a new trilogy about it ;)

Exactly! Not just a ring! The ONE ring! But we already have a pretty good trilogy on that, so there's no need to make a new trilogy about it ;)

JUST A RING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are on our way to take EVERYTHING LOTR's away from you!!!!

Start packing them up now MR!!!!

And why not????

Back