D.R.37's Cargo Hold: 1/6 Star Wars Mods & Customs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I?m very stoked to have been able to get this guy.

it would be great if it was cheaper but I honestly thought it would be much more upon release. The sculpt is done exceptionally well with lots of detail and the paint is great for a mass produced statue. The soft airbrush just needs a thin brushstroke to define those few crevasses. Seems like the factory decided to skip that last step. Will hold off with trying to do anything to him since he is boxed up again, but if it bugs me enough , down the road, I may make those subtle tweaks. The overall paint came out better than I thought when in hand. Yeah I know... all collectors say that [emoji38]

I 100% agree, Turd, that this will massively jump in price in the next few years hence me ?needing? to get it sooner than later. I paid $625-$650 for my Dewback and that was a steal when others at the time we?re going for almost double that. As for the lighter tone, I like it. I always thought the Rancor was overly dark brown. I guess I?m not too picky on this not being screen accurate :dunno

Edit: Also I don?t understand how so many of the unboxing reviewers I saw could not tell its fiberglass, saying it?s PVC. The hairs/fibers are clearly visible when looking inside the back.
I agree from a company standpoint, artists, various people producing them, the cost is appropriate. If an individual, as myself, I would have charged way lower. It would cost around $150 to make each piece. More or less. Whatever else is just for the overall time spent on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Great pics and a nicer piece than I was expecting. It does look a bit too light brown but still a very nice app overall.

Can you pose a 1/6 figure next to it? In some ways a kind of "fudged Hasbro scale" (I noticed that even the latest skiff still isn't "true" 1/18 scale) version of the Rancor isn't a bad thing - a true 1/6 scale version is likely beyond displaying for most collectors. It's also not a creature you see very clearly in relation to humans, so a 1/7 vs 1/6 downsize isn't all that jarring or even noticeable.

Great pics and a nicer piece than I was expecting. It does look a bit too light brown but still a very nice app overall.

Can you pose a 1/6 figure next to it? In some ways a kind of "fudged Hasbro scale" (I noticed that even the latest skiff still isn't "true" 1/18 scale) version of the Rancor isn't a bad thing - a true 1/6 scale version is likely beyond displaying for most collectors. It's also not a creature you see very clearly in relation to humans, so a 1/7 vs 1/6 downsize isn't all that jarring or even noticeable.
I think works great on display but if you give it a good look you can tell the Rancor isn't quite 1/6. It helps sell the lie if you pose Luke without a stand below the Rancor base. Also worth mentioning that the Luke in that pic is bashed from various spare parts and is probably on a body that is a bit too tall.
3592504c28be5ce69c849faf55d6a6e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.
Sorry, Duncan. He was packed up soon after I took those images. Here?s a photo I hijacked from Steven?s thread, but as Turd mentioned when a figure is placed next to or in front of the base - not directly on it or under the Rancor - it does appear to be somewhat closer to scale.

F012E058-E538-4F7C-89A1-F36FA9129479.jpg
Photo from The Darkness Predator.

Interesting. That's a whole lot closer to correct scale than I would have guessed. Thanks for for finding that Paul.

The Rancor has always been a tricky one to correctly scale, and another one (like Vader) that LFL has over the years tried to make "bigger and scarier." About the only decent scale indicators are the Luke scale cutout they used, the Gamorrean puppet the Rancor eats, and the full size prop hand. You can see in most of those Gammy moments some of the Rancor's teeth are only around the size of Gamorrean fingers, and the Gamorrean has a very tricky time actually squeezing into the Rancor's mouth.:lol

(Gammy on left scaled to Gammy arm in Rancor's mouth)

kureObK.jpg

The full size prop hand around Luke often looked a bit larger in relative scale to me than the puppet's hand around the Gammy.

51146880294_0a79870cba_o.png

Looks like this statue might actually be close to the human scale of the Rancor to Gammy puppet, but maybe slightly under the scale of the Hamill to full size Rancor hand.

Great scale comps, Duncan.
Here?s some other shots with figures from other Freaks.
ECDFA025-6949-4534-9A07-D428DE25A101.jpg
PhoenixBlazes

4461C6FC-E858-4E33-A9EC-6CBE7ABFB59A.jpeg
DarthNutz

Congrats on the rancor, D.R.!
Close to human size?! I figured that would too big. Like Kong or something.
Maybe would?ve been better and cost efficient to build a Rancor costume and just stand in the display :lol

Someone needs to wedge a flailing SSC Gammy into that hand.:lol

It's a lot closer to 1/6 scale than initially thought. I thought it'd be clearly 1/7 or even slightly smaller but it looks between 1/7 and 1/6.

Chipping away at the Armorer.
Hammer build and 1st attempt at the leather apron.
I kinda have a feeling HT will preview theirs before I finish this :lol

7AF5DDDB-0C74-4AFA-A325-40C5B8212B52.jpg

Back