Could we be getting the 89 Bat Wing?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I see someone's selling the Kenner Dark Knight Collection Batwing for $500 MIB on eBay. Someone else sold a Kenner Batman Returns MIB Batwing reissue last week for about $130. The ERTL ones are more within my price range.
Size aside, which one is more detailed and movie-accurate in your opinion? Which is the better display piece overall? Many thanks.

The Kenner is not that accurate. Too toy-like.
I have an Ertl kit boxed and one built up(But only primed). It's a fine replica and a lot nicer looking and truer to the design than the Kenner one.
It would be easy enough to scratch build one in 1/6 because it;s such a swoopy and flowing design.
It could easily be done as a vacform.

I have an Ertl kit boxed and one built up(But only primed). It's a fine replica and a lot nicer looking and truer to the design than the Kenner one.
It would be easy enough to scratch build one in 1/6 because it;s such a swoopy and flowing design.

So....:wink1:

Last edited:

Thanks, I think I'll get the ERTL then.

One other question: of the smaller Batwings, I'm talking the ERTL diecast and Mattel's so-called '1/50' Batwing, which is larger, and more accurate? Thanks.

Last edited:
Lol. I am not making one. I am not a fan of the 89 Batwing.

Look what you've done....

crying_baby.jpg

The 89 Batwing would be an incredibly difficult scratch build, It's almost one solid piece and is full of incredibly complex curves. There isn't a single straight line on the thing.
It would need serious sculpting skills. I know someone has done it before but it seems it took him years? Yes it could be vacuformed, but from what? It would have to be sculpted
from scratch. No kit bashing on this one.

The 89 Batwing would be an incredibly difficult scratch build, It's almost one solid piece and is full of incredibly complex curves. There isn't a single straight line on the thing.
It would need serious sculpting skills. I know someone has done it before but it seems it took him years? Yes it could be vacuformed, but from what? It would have to be sculpted
from scratch. No kit bashing on this one.

It's actually EASIER because it's curvy.
I do work with vacforms a lot and the top and bottom hull would be one piece, with the wings being separate using a 5mm sheet of MDF or similar.

It's actually EASIER because it's curvy.
I do work with vacforms a lot and the top and bottom hull would be one piece, with the wings being separate using a 5mm sheet of MDF or similar.

Not if the curves have exact measurements mate? The slopes and complex curves on this would need to be incredibly precise. Only an incredibly accurate sculpt would give you a base to do any vac form from?

I have done a lot of this myself mate. And I will agree to disagree with you here. How would you get the accuracy without an exact precise base model to create the base to vac form?:dunno

Look at the complex curves on this thing, the beveled edges, nothing is straight. MDF? I think not.

batman-the-movie-1989-series-2-topps-195-front-the-batwing-.jpg
batwing-1.jpg
batwing.jpg

Last edited:
My friend has a fibreglass copy of the studio model...
:wink1:

In 1/6th scale? I thought you said it would be an easy build? What are you gonna do? laser scan it make a 3D model, vacu form that and then put MDF wings on it? Best of luck with that.

No offense mate, I've seen you post in various threads now about building this and that, incredibly complex ****. Even talking about how you were going to ship your Bat? I'm not for a second doubting your ability, but how about showing or doing some stuff before you talk about how you are going to ship it!:lol

I have seen your links to your work, but really I've just seen some lovingly put together kit bashes?
:dunno
..oh whats the point in having this conversation. Thanks, can't wait to see it. bye!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUqGwnAolSs&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]
Hell yea the crowd went insane when this went up against the moon scene opening night a instant buy for me and would compliment the 89 batmobile perfectly.....SO cool i realy hope they make this.... :pray:

This thing would need a BATCAVE to itself!
What size would this be in 1/6?:lol
CORRECTED...
It's smaller then the BAT i bet and 10 x cooler with mini guns and missiles and throw in some joker balloons ....I got a bunch of rewards points I'll save just for this.....

I'm not for a second doubting your ability, but...

Haha. Sounded a lot like you are doubting my ability.

I have seen your links to your work, but really I've just seen some lovingly put together kit bashes?

Kitbashes. That takes me back. I used to do kitbashes back when i started. Haven't done one in years. Where did you see a link to a kitbash of mine?
Did you mean scratchbuild? Lots of people get that confused. Don't worry. It's a common mistake.
:dunno
..oh whats the point in having this conversation. Thanks, can't wait to see it. bye!

It was more of a rant if you can be honest. Not a conversation.
But i shall not bother you any more if my posts are somehow upsetting you. I shall take this thread off my watch list.

CORRECTED...
It's smaller then the BAT i bet and 10 x cooler with mini guns and missiles and throw in some joker balloons ....I got a bunch of rewards points I'll save just for this.....

This would be very easy for HT to build and ship. It would be huge but they could make a wall mount for it.

I would buy this if they make it.

Back