Can SS clarify the PF Boba debate??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carbo-fation said:
You're on the roll El! First the donky pics and now this!:D
It's all about Love!
IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

Hey Dusty, what's the Creature PF made of? Is it polystone, pvc or some sort of latex/rubber material? :monkey3

Also, please ask Brock, if when the Selene PF is made is the corset going to be made from pvc or polystone? :monkey5

Fritz said:
Hey Dusty, what's the Creature PF made of? Is it polystone, pvc or some sort of latex/rubber material? :monkey3

Also, please ask Brock, if when the Selene PF is made is the corset going to be made from pvc or polystone? :monkey5

Polystone, same as the Medieval Kurgan PF's helmet.

Andy Bergholtz said:
Well there's no denying it anymore, Titan is right. Under the PF's costumes Sideshow uses a "basic body mold", which is seasonally harvested from the "basic body mold trees" which are grown in sprawling fields in a remote village in the Far East.

LOL Titan... Whether the body underneath is detailed or not, it began as a sculpture... As did just about every single physical object surrounding you in your home right now. ;)

And for the record, yes even cheap little action figures are (or should be) considered 'sculptures'. Some of the most unbelievably gifted artists of our generation make their living sculpting "cheap little action figures". Some of these guys would be working for the Vatican if they'd been born hundreds of years ago (and I'd be mopping their floors :) ). Their work is grossly overlooked by most folks (like yourself), which is understandable considering the market I admit.. But I hope someday the action figure market gets more recognition for what it's become over the years: an art form.

:rock :rock :rock
Thankyou!

Andy Bergholtz said:
Well there's no denying it anymore, Titan is right. Under the PF's costumes Sideshow uses a "basic body mold", which is seasonally harvested from the "basic body mold trees" which are grown in sprawling fields in a remote village in the Far East.

LOL Titan... Whether the body underneath is detailed or not, it began as a sculpture... As did just about every single physical object surrounding you in your home right now. ;)

And for the record, yes even cheap little action figures are (or should be) considered 'sculptures'. Some of the most unbelievably gifted artists of our generation make their living sculpting "cheap little action figures". Some of these guys would be working for the Vatican if they'd been born hundreds of years ago (and I'd be mopping their floors :) ). Their work is grossly overlooked by most folks (like yourself), which is understandable considering the market I admit.. But I hope someday the action figure market gets more recognition for what it's become over the years: an art form.

I like you too much to carry this any further so........

I castrate myself and bow before you :monkey3 :D...........you wouldnt happen to have a map to those fields in the far east would you?

Last edited:
A user named Mister_Gosh and some others over on the Rebelscum forums have posted a couple of interesting points that personally make me feel better about SS's choice to go with ABS plastic for the Boba Fett PF. Check it out:

It's probably worth mentioning that Polystone is just polyeurethane with some stone powder additives, so there's nothing particularly more "exotic" about it vs. ABS plastic, porcelain or any other material that you typically see collectibles in.

Per Sideshow's catalog, they go with Polystone because it holds fine details in the sculpt, it is a cold-cast material and because it holds paint well. In the case of Fett, none of these is particularly important to the body under the costume, so dictating the material choice by what would make the best armor makes some sense to me.

Also, an interesting email response directly from SS:

"Thank you for your e-mail to our Customer Service Department. Your feedback is important to us and we appreciate that you took the time to reach us. The Premium format figure body structures range in materials that are used based on the end result that we desire to achieve. Some of the past PF bodies were part polystone and cloth padded appendages with wire joints, some were polystone sections with wire joints, some solid polystone and so on. The Boba Fett body is made of a dense, rigid plastic, but it is formed like the polystone material and is not jointed or sectioned like our 12 inch figure body buck. This material was chosen so that the shrinkage rate would match that of the material used for the armor, since the armor is curved to fit Boba Fett's body. If not, the body plates could have been under or oversized causing an ill fitting look to the armor."

and, a GREAT point made by theropod on RS:

Considering Sideshow's positive track record, I'm more than willing to give them a chance on Boba Fett without passing judgment until I see the final product.

Some of you may not be aware that some of the highest rated PF statues that Sideshow has produced were only wire armatures underneath the fabric garments. Those received great acclaim and in reality, the ABS plastic Boba Fett with a solid cast ABS body will in fact be more tangible inside than those early heralded PFs.

Sideshow is the kind of company that puts a lot of effort in their product manufacturing and level of detail, if they couldn't get the polystone to work on a unique statue like Boba Fett so be it. As it is, it sounds like they spent more money in trial and error to get the best representation rather than arbitrarily picked ABS just to save a few bucks in material costs. I have faith that it will still turn out great, if it doesn't I will be very suprised.
-theropod

I know it's nothing entirely new regarding the 'great debate', in fact some of this may have been covered earlier in this thread, but I think some good points are made.

https://threads.rebelscum.com/showf...1997750&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=8

Great -- now you've convinced the naysayers NOT to cancel, and I need them to cancel for my WL to convert. :D

(Of course, I never doubted the choice of ABS plastic for a second.)

Seretur said:
Great -- now you've convinced the naysayers NOT to cancel, and I need them to cancel for my WL to convert. :D

(Of course, I never doubted the choice of ABS plastic for a second.)
Seretur, are you saying your wait list still didn't convert?? And I particularly stressed that they should give you the Boba Fett I cancelled!! Man, those folks at Sideshow!! :D

Hang in there, you'll get one! After all, there are 4000 Boba Fett's! Take General Grievous for instance: after a few second chance announcements, he only recently sold out completely.

Thanks, Alice! I'm sure they're waiting to give me Tom's #42, though, just to complicate matters with transcontinental shipping and whatnot. :D

Back