Can SS clarify the PF Boba debate??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natrix

Super Freak
Reaction score
Can someone from SS please clarify the debate raging on the forum about the construction of the PF Fett and why this information wasn't passed on sooner after moving forward with production until right before shipping.

From the production blog:

With Boba Fett, as with every project, we felt the proportions of the final product were of critical importance, and the best way to maintain consistent proportion amongst the various components would be to produce them all in the same material. The helmet, armor, body, and all other ‘hard’ parts are all cast in the same material, and we believe the end result is a durable, crisp, accurate and very solid 1:4 scale Boba Fett (and not quite so heavy – it may save you a little on shipping!).

The only material mentioned in the blog was ABS plastic, so is the body made of ABS (as implied in the blog) as well as the armor, helmet, etc. I can understand the reasons for the smaller armor pieces being fragile but for the helmet and body? A lot of people (myself included) are upset with there being no polystone involved with something called "Premium Format" and at that price point when other PF pieces are made of polystone.

At the base of this debate, there seems to be a question of whether plastic (ABS/PVC/etc) is less expensive to produce than polystone. While it is true than ABS and PVC plastic materials are less expensive than polystone material, this is only a small part of the cost invested in the figure. In order to make castings in ABS, PVC, PP or the other plastic materials (injection plastics), we have to make very expensive steel tools. The cost to make the steel tool is the same whether we make one thousand piecs, tweny-five thousand, or one million pieces. You may expect injection plastic products to be less expensive because most injection plastic products are made in very large quantity, and that original investment in tooling is spread out (ammortized) over that large quantity, therefore having very little impact on the retail price.

Boba Fett is a very limited edition collectible, and therefore the investment in the steel tooling is not spread over very many pieces. There is no cost savings to Sideshow to produce Fett with injection plastic materials versus producing with polystone. We chose the injection plastic materials to give Fett the best possible outcome. The Boba Fett Premium Format Figure lives up to the Premium Format title (which is not called Polystone Format for a very good reason - these are meant to be mixed-mediums to capture the best of each character).

Thank you for answering our question Brant. I appreciate someone from Sideshow taking the time to address some of our concerns. :clap :clap :clap

Brant, is Boba using a mix of plastics ABS, PVC, etc.?

I'm aware of the production process, myself, but most people think that plastic = low quality. This perception is built upon years of associating plastic to crappy mass-market toys.

There are pros and cons to both materials. Softer plastics are prone to warpage in small details, and resins can be too delicate in some areas. and I encourage Sideshow to continue experimenting in this area.

Bottom line, plastic is lighter and cheaper as a material, but to produce, IT COSTS MORE.

That all makes a lot of sense. It seems to me that a lot of people were looking at material costs, and not so much at production costs. The production cost, like he says, will be the same, but material costs (the plastic instead of polystone) would not impact the price all too much. Are we taking a bit a hit from it being plastic instead of ploystone? Probably, but I don't think it's as MUCH of a price difference as some people around here may be thinking.

Thanks for the quick response Brant, but could you address why this wasn't communicated earlier than the production blog right as these will be getting ready to be shipped? This is a highly waited piece and people are itching to get it, then get hit with a move that sounds "cheap" in terms of material not cost. That immediately conjures up a plastic toy not a statue. That is going to get a backlash from concerned collectors.

I personally am not all that wrapped up in the financial decisions or asking for a reduction in price. I understand the armor issues but I want a solid, high quality PF statue which I hope this will turn out to be. However, I don't think I am alone in the preset expectation of a polystone PF statue when the pre-order went up.

Also, is this the direction all PF's will be going to?? Plastic instead of polystone??

Last edited:
gambit said:
There is a certain fact that can not be denied that if it was announced as plastic in the first pre-ordering stage, the ES wouldn't be 2000 +2000

I would cancel my order on this basis alone, but I have cancelled it anyway seeing as SSC is not apt to lower the cost of an item that is now clearly OVERPRICED. (Sorry Brant, it just is... but I do appreciate your input and participation here).

It's a real shame that this week I had to cancel pre-orders in the 11th hour for the 2 collectibles I was most looking forward to...

The Gentle Giant Obi-Wan statue, for being a shell of its prototype...

and the SSC PF Fett for this bait and switch routine.

:(

IrishJedi said:
Amen. I would cancel my order on this basis alone, but I have cancelled it anyway seeing as SSC is not apt to lower the cost of an item that is now clearly OVERPRICED. (Sorry Brant, it just is... but I do appreciate your input and participation here).

In your opinion it is. That doesn't make it so and you've been given the reason why cost is what it is. Yet, you continue to say this isn't the case. We get the point already you feel it's so and you've canceled. Time to move on!

IrishJedi said:
and the SSC PF Fett for this bait and switch routine.

Bait and Switch would mean they said it would be polystone and nothing else. As Brant said Premium Format is not called Polystone Format. Therefore there is no bait and switch. It's these kind of ignorant comments that just piss me off. I wanna know if you need some cheese with your wine. :violin

jlcmsu said:
In your opinion it is. That doesn't make it so and you've been given the reason why cost is what it is.

No, we were given SSC's justification, which is a big difference actually... because they can clearly spin it any way they want but the FACTS are that ABS is a cheaper material than polystone.

jlcmsu said:
Bait and Switch would mean they said it would be polystone and nothing else. As Brant said Premium Format is not called Polystone Format. Therefore there is no bait and switch. It's these kind of ignorant comments that just piss me off. I wanna know if you need some cheese with your wine. :violin

Josh, there are other ways to kiss Brant's a** than coming into this thread and speaking down to me on on his behalf. Just FYI.

And you can stop taking it so personally (and in turn making it personal) whenever anyone has a beef with Sideshow about anything. Christ, I doubt even Brant & co. take it as personally as you do sometimes.

Chill out, dude.

IrishJedi said:
Josh, there are other ways to kiss Brant's a** than coming into this thread and speaking down to me on on his behalf. Just FYI.
Well, fyi there are other ways to make a pf figure as well, like using plastic. Josh just chose the method that worked best for him as did sideshow with Fett.:monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

IrishJedi said:

I'm not kissing his ass. Brant's my friend so I don't have to do that. I said what I said because of the way you're acting. Just FYI. :)

Bannister said:
Well, fyi there are other ways to make a pf figure as well, like using plastic. Josh just chose the method that worked best for him as did sideshow with Fett.:monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

:rotfl :lol :rotfl

Thanks for the much-needed moment of levity.

anakin%20vs%20obi%20wan.jpg

Irish vs. Josh? :D :monkey5

jlcmsu said:
I'm not kissing his ass. Brant's my friend so I don't have to do that. I said what I said because of the way you're acting. Just FYI. :)

Because of the way I'm ACTING? So saying anything contrarian about Saint Sideshow is acting up? Dude, I am merely speaking (okay, typing) my opinion... which just happens to be at odds with Brant and Sideshow on this particular topic. And I'm doing so without calling anyone names or getting personal. I know, I know... amazing. But it can actually be done if you put forth the effort.

IrishJedi said:
No, we were given SSC's justification, which is a big difference actually... because they can clearly spin it any way they want but the FACTS are that ABS is a cheaper material than polystone.

Well, since they're the ones making the piece that makes sense don't ya think. We were given their reasons for trying to make the bestest figure possible. Brant said that the material is less exspensive but gave other reasons. Which make sense to me.

IrishJedi said:
And you can stop taking it so personally (and in turn making it personal) whenever anyone has a beef with Sideshow about anything. Christ, I doubt even Brant & co. take it as personally as you do sometimes.

Chill out, dude.

I believe you all are the ones trying to make it personal with comments like bait and switch, insulting the consumer, lying, hiding the truth, etc.

You need to chill out more than I do pal. You're the one crying in every thread about how this piece is overpriced.

Bannister said:

:lol Yup :lol

IrishJedi said:
Because of the way I'm ACTING? So saying anything contrarian about Saint Sideshow is acting up? Dude, I am merely speaking (okay, typing) my opinion... which just happens to be at odds with Brant and Sideshow on this particular topic. And I'm doing so without calling anyone names or getting personal. I know, I know... amazing. But it can actually be done if you put forth the effort.

Let's see I've seen you accuse them of Bait and Switch at least 4-5 times. You've said they're basically calling them liars and if I go look I'm sure I can find some other stuff. So you're calling names and getting personal. You need to try harder if you think you're not. :lol

jlcmsu said:
I believe you all are the ones trying to make it personal with comments like bait and switch, insulting the consumer, lying, hiding the truth, etc.

Uh, I'm not sure if you know this or not but there is a difference between taking a company to task for something you feel is wrong and calling out an INDIVIDUAL.

jlcmsu said:
You need to chill out more than I do pal. You're the one crying in every thread about how this piece is overpriced.

Which is my right as a consumer and Sideshow customer. Live with it.

And, by the way, it's not like I'm a consistent Sideshow contrarian like Collector Freak or the legion of Medicom Nutswingers™. I never even made a peep when people were complaining about Fett's helmet, etc. and I proudly own MOST of SSC's Star Wars items. Yet one or two topics get under my skin (like this and the severely underwhelming Endor Rebels) and the pollyannas declare war on my character.

Back