Can SS clarify the PF Boba debate??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Titan7170 said:
I would love to be standing next to you to see the look an peoples faces
or hear the reaction of you calling a little action figure a sculpture. Maybe at a Comic convention with lots of people standing around lots of polystone statues and watch you run up with some He man Figures and say "look at the quality of these small sculptures"

Price of 4 tickets to comic book convention $125

Food and drinks for you and your family $35

Standing on line for autogragh $75

The look on peoples faces as you call a spawn toy a sculpture.........PRICELESS:rotfl

It has a sculpt.... it is a sculpture. Some of thise action figures are so good and detailed, especially things like Neca and McFarlane, that not calling them sculptures would be an injustice. Maybe you just don't have enought respect for these things you think are lesser. The artist requirement that is needed to make these things is phenomenal. You talk about them like they could be made by 3-year olds. Fi what you're questioning is the fact that people don't understand just what a sculpture is, they're not very smart.

These aren't sculptures? Maybe you're right.
lost1charlielonglarge.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed no one seemed to post anything about plastics (in this thread anyway), so here is a link (and excerpt) to a very good article about the different plastics used in figures...

https://www.riuva.com/?p=301

...Polystone
Polystone is the common name for Polyethylene, just another plastic. But there are two main types, High and Low Density. High density is used for the figurines. Polystone offers good resistance to moisture, impact, heat, sunlight, cold and has good rigidity. I mean good compared to PVC. Everything here is compared to PVC.

Polystone distorts of about 80 degrees Celsius. It is not that ductile, lighter than water, and can be moulded, machined, and joined together using welding (difficult to glue). It’s a thermoplastic as well, meaning it can be heated and reshaped and cooled. This is easy to mould and rather durable. The higher heat resistance and rigidity also means figurines do not lean or distort, or worse, start degrading in sunlight. But for this added quality, polystone figurines are more expensive than PVC ones and the selection is a lot less.
Unlike PVC which is more ductile, Polystone does BREAK because of the higher rigidity. So shipping overseas is a bit more of a risk for these. Use EMS at all costs.
And yes, it’s also known as polyethene, the plastic bag. So people who have been fooled by the fancy name, please hang your head in shame...

ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene)
ABS is commonly used for the bases of figurines. It’s pretty recognisable, just think of LEGO blocks. That’s what they are made of. ABS has good impact strength and is not really flexible but rather stiff. These properties plus the glossy surface make it a suitable material for figurine bases. Interestingly, unlike all the above, ABS is not a compound but just a blend of 3 types of plastic.

"ABS is an amorphous thermoplastic blend. The recipe is 15-35% acrylnitrile, 5-30% butadiene and 40-60% styrene. Depending on the blend different properties can be achieved.
Acrylnitrile contributes with thermal and chemical resistence, and the rubberlike butadiene gives ductility and impact strength. Styrene gives the glossy surface and makes the material easily machinable and less expensive." -Designinsite
ABS is more expensive than PVC and is slightly lighter too. Its price is commonly used as the dividing line between common plastics like PVC and more expensive industrial plastics. ABS has a higher distortion temperature at 75 degrees. Its properties are also easily modified by varying the proportions of its components. Its natural colour is an opaque ivory but dyes can be applied.

I have stepped on enough Lego pieces while walking barefoot through the living room at night to know that this material is pretty dang sturdy.

:D

And I can also vouch for the fact that Lego sets are not cheap!! They charge a lot of money for that particular kind of plastic. If ABS is so incredibly inexpensive, then we should petition the folks at Lego to lower the price of THIS THING.

lcummins said:
...PolystonePolystone distorts of about 80 degrees Celsius. It is not that ductile, lighter than water, and can be moulded, machined, and joined together using welding (difficult to glue).

so does that mean that Hulk will float?

:monkey1

lcummins said:
Hey Occ! Try it and let us know!!! I'll even be responsible if anything goes wrong and reimburse you 150% of current market value or give you the choice of the money or substitute it with my Bernie Frank!

We'll be waiting... :D

class act bro! :rock

*Hits print then starts runnign water in bathtub & puts banana hammock on Hulk*

I'll let you know!

SSC_Nerd said:
It has a sculpt.... it is a sculpture. Some of thise action figures are so good and detailed, especially things like Neca and McFarlane, that not calling them sculptures would be an injustice. Maybe you just don't have enought respect for these things you think are lesser. The artist requirement that is needed to make these things is phenomenal. You talk about them like they could be made by 3-year olds. Fi what you're questioning is the fact that people don't understand just what a sculpture is, they're not very smart.

These aren't sculptures? Maybe you're right.
lost1charlielonglarge.jpg

this is what you wrote

EDIT: and before anyone gives me crap for saying that, yes, I would even call cheap little action figures "sculptures."

You said little cheap action figures and I made a joke about it.

The picture you posted is a sculpture,IF a human body with muscle definition In plastic has been made for Boba then its a sculpture........but I doubt theres any sculpting under there, it is prolly your basic body mold with absolutely no muscle definition, so it is not a sculpture until Im proven wrong. And if I am wrong I will be the first to apologize and have new faith in Sideshow. But until then it is what it is:cool:

But I will still be disapointed it wasnt polystone.

Titan7170 said:
...IF a human body with muscle definition In plastic has been made for Boba then its a sculpture........but I doubt theres any sculpting under there, it is prolly your basic body mold with absolutely no muscle definition, so it is not a sculpture until Im proven wrong...

Well there's no denying it anymore, Titan is right. Under the PF's costumes Sideshow uses a "basic body mold", which is seasonally harvested from the "basic body mold trees" which are grown in sprawling fields in a remote village in the Far East.

LOL Titan... Whether the body underneath is detailed or not, it began as a sculpture... As did just about every single physical object surrounding you in your home right now. ;)

And for the record, yes even cheap little action figures are (or should be) considered 'sculptures'. Some of the most unbelievably gifted artists of our generation make their living sculpting "cheap little action figures". Some of these guys would be working for the Vatican if they'd been born hundreds of years ago (and I'd be mopping their floors :) ). Their work is grossly overlooked by most folks (like yourself), which is understandable considering the market I admit.. But I hope someday the action figure market gets more recognition for what it's become over the years: an art form.

Andy Bergholtz said:
Well there's no denying it anymore, Titan is right. Under the PF's costumes Sideshow uses a "basic body mold", which is seasonally harvested from the "basic body mold trees" which are grown in sprawling fields in a remote village in the Far East.

LOL Titan... Whether the body underneath is detailed or not, it began as a sculpture... As did just about every single physical object surrounding you in your home right now. ;)

And for the record, yes even cheap little action figures are (or should be) considered 'sculptures'. Some of the most unbelievably gifted artists of our generation make their living sculpting "cheap little action figures". Some of these guys would be working for the Vatican if they'd been born hundreds of years ago (and I'd be mopping their floors :) ). Their work is grossly overlooked by most folks (like yourself), which is understandable considering the market I admit.. But I hope someday the action figure market gets more recognition for what it's become over the years: an art form.
:rock :rock :rock

Back