Can SS clarify the PF Boba debate??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
,...i really don't care if it's made of plastic,...rubber,...paper,...,, polystone,.... iron,,... cryptonite,... as long as it looks good,...feels solid,.,,. and it's durable,... ,,that's all i care,...,,.. :chew :chew :chew

Fritz said:
PS. Get on the waitlist, I'm cancelling my Boba. Not because of the PVC but because Bannister made me buy his Iron Man with the sexy Tony Stark head and now I don't have any money for Boba. :monkey2 But it's ok, the exclusive isn't anything special and there's still regulars to be found. :rock
:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

I'm willing to keep an open mind and hold off cancelling until seeing the plastic statue, but I would like to be able to return it without paying for shipping back.

I'm sure they knew that switching from polystone to plastic on Boba would upset too many people. They also probably thought people would be more accepting as well too since it sounds that using plastic made it possible to make the best looking Fett that they could. The chances of them using plastic bodies in the future is pretty slim if ya ask me. They said that they had to use plastic for the body since all the armor on the outside demanded it due to the shrinkage problem. I wouldn't worry that Cap and Darkness will be made of plastic. They'll use polytstone when they can because they know collectors love the fact that polystone weighs more, so they can actually see it as a "statue" now.

And anybody who says Fett is no longer a statue is BS'ing themselves. Statues are sculpted figures, You're right, Boba isn't a statue since we all know that the plastic pieces just sprung out of the ground and required no sculpting. Pffff.... whatever.

EDIT: and before anyone gives me crap for saying that, yes, I would even call cheap little action figures "sculptures." It's just all about the quality of the sculpt, and Sideshow's Boba is way up there in qulaity of sculp AND materials.

Sideshow Brant said:
At the base of this debate, there seems to be a question of whether plastic (ABS/PVC/etc) is less expensive to produce than polystone. While it is true than ABS and PVC plastic materials are less expensive than polystone material, this is only a small part of the cost invested in the figure. In order to make castings in ABS, PVC, PP or the other plastic materials (injection plastics), we have to make very expensive steel tools. The cost to make the steel tool is the same whether we make one thousand piecs, tweny-five thousand, or one million pieces. You may expect injection plastic products to be less expensive because most injection plastic products are made in very large quantity, and that original investment in tooling is spread out (ammortized) over that large quantity, therefore having very little impact on the retail price.

Boba Fett is a very limited edition collectible, and therefore the investment in the steel tooling is not spread over very many pieces. There is no cost savings to Sideshow to produce Fett with injection plastic materials versus producing with polystone. We chose the injection plastic materials to give Fett the best possible outcome. The Boba Fett Premium Format Figure lives up to the Premium Format title (which is not called Polystone Format for a very good reason - these are meant to be mixed-mediums to capture the best of each character).

But it is too costly to produce a Medieval Kurgan? WTF :emperor

Could we please have a 1/6 Medieval Kurgan with polystone armour? Think of the savings. :D

creecher said:
But it is too costly to produce a Medieval Kurgan? WTF :emperor

Could we please have a 1/6 Medieval Kurgan with polystone armour? Think of the savings. :D
:rock:rock:rock

So today I was wondering...what was the prototype made of and why wasn't this issue realized during its construction? Not making accusations, just curious.

SSC_Nerd said:
I'm sure they knew that switching from polystone to plastic on Boba would upset too many people. They also probably thought people would be more accepting as well too since it sounds that using plastic made it possible to make the best looking Fett that they could. The chances of them using plastic bodies in the future is pretty slim if ya ask me. They said that they had to use plastic for the body since all the armor on the outside demanded it due to the shrinkage problem. I wouldn't worry that Cap and Darkness will be made of plastic. They'll use polytstone when they can because they know collectors love the fact that polystone weighs more, so they can actually see it as a "statue" now.

And anybody who says Fett is no longer a statue is BS'ing themselves. Statues are sculpted figures, You're right, Boba isn't a statue since we all know that the plastic pieces just sprung out of the ground and required no sculpting. Pffff.... whatever.

EDIT: and before anyone gives me crap for saying that, yes, I would even call cheap little action figures "sculptures." It's just all about the quality of the sculpt, and Sideshow's Boba is way up there in qulaity of sculp AND materials.

I would love to be standing next to you to see the look an peoples faces
or hear the reaction of you calling a little action figure a sculpture. Maybe at a Comic convention with lots of people standing around lots of polystone statues and watch you run up with some He man Figures and say "look at the quality of these small sculptures"

Price of 4 tickets to comic book convention $125

Food and drinks for you and your family $35

Standing on line for autogragh $75

The look on peoples faces as you call a spawn toy a sculpture.........PRICELESS:rotfl

Titan7170 said:
I would love to be standing next to you to see the look an peoples faces
or hear the reaction of you calling a little action figure a sculpture. Maybe at a Comic convention with lots of people standing around lots of polystone statues and watch you run up with some He man Figures and say "look at the quality of these small sculptures"

Price of 4 tickets to comic book convention $125

Food and drinks for you and your family $35

Standing on line for autogragh $75

The look on peoples faces as you call a spawn toy a sculpture.........PRICELESS:rotfl
Wow when did they lower the price of food?:rotfl

Agent0028 said:
So today I was wondering...what was the prototype made of and why wasn't this issue realized during its construction? Not making accusations, just curious.

good question!

I will be the one to tell everyone way ahead of time, that Darkness and Captain America will be made of paper mache with tissue paper costumes and candy necklace bead work. Part of the Green Earth line.

The final Boba piece looks very similar to what was at SDcc within the display cases. Nobody questioned the look of the weight of the item at the show and I am sure it will look just as heavy when you receive it. We appreciate everyone's participation in this discuss and truly hope that people wait to receive the piece before they make their decisions.

Best,
C

Chicky said:
I will be the one to tell everyone way ahead of time, that Darkness and Captain America will be made of paper mache with tissue paper costumes and candy necklace bead work. Part of the Green Earth line.

The final Boba piece looks very similar to what was at SDcc within the display cases. Nobody questioned the look of the weight of the item at the show and I am sure it will look just as heavy when you receive it. We appreciate everyone's participation in this discuss and truly hope that people wait to receive the piece before they make their decisions.

Best,
C
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
That was awesome C. I am glad Sideshow can have a sense of humor about this and acknowledge that there is a concern out there at the same time. Thanks.

tomandshell said:
Sideshow giving me Fett #42 would set a bad precedent. I understand that and will in no way feel anything negative when it doesn't happen.

But it's been fun to see the support from everybody on the board. In a way, that's worth more than a number on a base.

I'm so glad that you realize all of this Tom.

Just one quick thing cant they reuse most of the molds for Boba then for Jango when they decide to do him. I mean most of the armor is close to the same, the helmet is very similar as well. Change the stance a bit and we could get a Jango rather quickly I would hope.

Chicky said:
I will be the one to tell everyone way ahead of time, that Darkness and Captain America will be made of paper mache with tissue paper costumes and candy necklace bead work. Part of the Green Earth line...

C

OK! Just so you don't use any of that nasty, heavy polystone in them!!! :rotfl

Chicky said:

Best,
C
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Back