Blockbuster Picks a Side in the HD Format Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fritz said:
hdcivilwarfv9.jpg

:moon :dunno :monkey3

lol..... me too. in wonder if someone could make a CW banner for it.

Interesting comments all. I thought at first read that Blockbuster's news would be a nail to HD-DVD's coffin. But, realizing Blockbuster is doing a CYA and not in the best of a financial position has me going back to my original thought: the paint's still not dry to declare a winner. I own both formats, and believe it or not, as much as I watch more Blu-Ray movies on my PS3, I have bought more HD-DVDs but sealed. Eh, you say? Basically, with the misinformation that Sony is spinning to buoy itself up, I'm leaning more towards HD-DVD only because they seem to be releasing more of the movies I want to watch. Just the fact that Heroes S1, Battlestar Galactica S1 and a higher packed version of 300 are coming tells me I can't wait for Sony to get their act on BD-J+ working.

Sony has been late time and again on their promises, and the lackluster sales of PS3 is not a good sign, nor the fact that their BD players are more expensive. I wish them more luck honestly, but looking at what things may come, the Xmas holidays will definitely portent which way the wind will blow with this HD format war.

Despite Blu-Ray's technical advantage, somehow the cheap HD-DVD players will sell faster unless Sony aggressively catches up and lowers their prices too. I don't care how many big name movie companies Sony may have in its back pockets, if they don't release their slate of good movies, then the fate of Blu-Ray will suffer the same as what the PS3 is with its games.

Should be an interesting VHS vs Betamax showdown come the holidays.

Speaking of the HD DVD version of 300 being superior to the Blu-ray:

original.jpeg

Warner Home Video is planning to push the boundaries of high-def technology with the July HD DVD release of '300,' which is set to include the world's first "blue screen" picture-in-picture commentary.

Warner first announced '300' in early May for a July 31 release on both Blu-ray and HD DVD, with initial specs including an In-Movie Experience video commentary track (exclusive to the HD DVD version).

Though IME tracks are common to many HD DVD releases, '300' will be unique in that it will include what Warner is dubbing the first-ever "Blue-Screen Picture-in-Picture Version." Throughout the track, director Zack Snyder will present the pre-CGI-enhanced version to the finished film, allowing viewers to compare the entire movie in both rough and completed forms.

The HD DVD will include several other additional exclusive features, including the "Vengeance and Valor" interactive game, a "Pick Your Favorite Scenes" function allowing users to assemble clips and create a unique montage, as well as other web-enabled downloadable features to be announced.

The remaining specs will be identical to both the HD DVD and Blu-ray versions of '300,' including standard audio commentary, multiple featurettes, a suite of "Webisodes" and deleted scenes.

Warner has set a $39.95 list price for the HD DVD/DVD combo version, while the pared-down Blu-ray will sell for $34.95.

Note that these separate-but-unequal versions of '300' are the latest in what appears to be new trend for Warner, following the recent dual-format release of 'Blood Diamond,' which the studio issued in a stripped-down Blu-ray version earlier this month, ahead of a more full-featured, IME-enhanced HD DVD edition due on July 3.

^^nice!! i can't wait to get my copy. july is gonna be an expensive movie month for me. i've got 300, shaun of the dead, hot fuzz, and the bourne identity on preorder.

Back