**Beware SPOILERS** Obi-Wan Kenobi Series on Disney+ **Beware SPOILERS**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my favourite Vader moments is actually from Rebels. Kanan and Ezra drop a bunch of walkers on top of him and he essentially just shrugs it off and they are 100% aware that they are outmatched.

It's amazing how cool that scene was. Makes me want to watch Rebels again.

When animated kids shows have better moments & cinematography than live action. :slap

But Obi-Wan also has:

1. Better acting than the OT

3. Better visual effects than the OT and PT

I cannot agree with these two points, Khev.

Better acting? Reva? That pale dude with the rice hat? 4-LOM? Come on...

And better visuals? Weren't we just complaining about the locales?

Yep from RO to Kenobi Disney has continued to give Vader his most awesome moments since 1980. After the OT Lucas gave Vader a "cute" little nickname (Ani), "NOOOO!" etc., while Disney gave him a throne, a throne!

Yep. Again since 1980 Star Wars has always been give and take. Sure people can call out the TV quality feel for a number of scenes or the average music. But Obi-Wan also has:

1. Better acting than the OT and PT

2. Better writing than the PT

3. Better visual effects than the OT and PT

4. Ruthless Vader in his prime that we always wanted to see in the PT but never did

5. A greater focus on Legacy characters than what we got in the ST

6. A great tone befitting of the "Dark Times."

If you want to throw the baby out with the bathwater then go ahead but if you do that for all SW then all you're left with is theatrical SW and ESB.
It truly is just that simple.

I would say as good as acting from ANH/ESB.

That breakdown can not be refuted.

Yes. You don't compare the worst actor in Kenobi to the best actor in the OT. You compare best to best. McGregor and Edgerton outshine them all.

Yes, meaning more convincing visuals.

For the first time, we disagree heartily here.

I did not compare the worst to the best... I just pointed out the worst of the OWK series. I can't compare major character Reva to any major character in ANH/ESB because she is so much worse. I suppose you can compare 5th Brother to Aunt Beru.

I don't follow you on more convincing visuals. The visuals in the OT must have been pretty convincing or we wouldn't be here today. Plus, I don't think you can judge a 45 year old movie to today's standards (many of which it set); otherwise we should only judge this show in 45 years. That said, the visuals in Kenobi are inconsistent and often cheap.

It's amazing how cool that scene was. Makes me want to watch Rebels again.

When animated kids shows have better moments & cinematography than live action. :slap
Nothing cooler than Vader surrounded by flames and destruction

I can't compare major character Reva to any major character in ANH/ESB because she is so much worse.
No argument there. Does she negate the performances of everyone else though?

I don't follow you on more convincing visuals. The visuals in the OT must have been pretty convincing or we wouldn't be here today. Plus, I don't think you can judge a 45 year old movie to today's standards (many of which it set); otherwise we should only judge this show in 45 years. That said, the visuals in Kenobi are inconsistent and often cheap.
Sure we can compare visuals between a 45 year old movie to those of today. The OT was state of the art when it came out but that doesn't mean that we have to pretend that they can objectively go toe to toe with what is capable now. And I'm hardly saying that to bash the OT. I still love the aesthetic and charm of the OT visuals but nothing is on the level of realism of say the capital city of Alderaan in Kenobi, the X-Wings chasing the Razor Crest through the clouds on Mando, the Krayt Dragon, and so on, and that's only comparing the OT to these pesky new TV shows.

Obviously SW and ESB as a whole blow away everything that came after but Disney has continued to give us these awesome morsels in each new movie/TV show that exceed certain elements of not only the PT but even the OT which has been a lot of fun to experience IMO.

1654455841389.png
:lol

Sure we can compare visuals between a 45 year old movie to those of today. The OT was state of the art when it came out but that doesn't mean that we have to pretend that they can objectively go toe to toe with what is capable now. And I'm hardly saying that to bash the OT. I still love the aesthetic and charm of the OT visuals but nothing is on the level of realism of say the capital city of Alderaan in Kenobi, the X-Wings chasing the Razor Crest through the clouds on Mando, the Krayt Dragon, and so on, and that's only comparing the OT to these pesky new TV shows.

Obviously SW and ESB as a whole blow away everything that came after but Disney has continued to give us these awesome morsels in each new movie/TV show that exceed certain elements of not only the PT but even the OT which has been a lot of fun to experience IMO.

Wait, hold the phone -- I thought we were comparing the OT to Obi-Wan show exclusively? You said "Obi-Wan has" and then made bullet points, which is what I was offering my point of view about. But if you're going to bring Mando into it then I will agree with you on visuals. I was just talking Kenobi vs OT.

And no, Reva doesn't negate everyone, and certainly Ewan and Edgerton are as good as SW ever had... but Bail is as stiff as ever, that little girl ain't nothing to write home about, Rupert wasn't so great either. Star Wars, then and now, has never been about its acting true... but I'm not sure the OT had anyone who jumped out as just terrible and miscast.

Wait, hold the phone -- I thought we were comparing the OT to Obi-Wan show exclusively? You said "Obi-Wan has" and then made bullet points, which is what I was offering my point of view about. But if you're going to bring Mando into it then I will agree with you on visuals. I was just talking Kenobi vs OT.
Well you made the broad point about giving 45 year old visuals a pass compared to those of today so I expanded some of today's examples to those that I'd figured strike a chord with you and make my point better. So taking that logic and going back specifically to Kenobi then yes I can say that that starship visuals, cityscape visuals, lightsabers giving off proper reflective lighting effects, creature visuals like Obi-Wan's absolutely real looking Eopie, etc., surpass equivalent visuals in the OT.
I'm not sure the OT had anyone who jumped out as just terrible and miscast.
Reva is definitely both of those things and I certainly can't think of anyone in the OT as bad as her but there have been many portions of the show without her and those are obviously what I'm thinking of when I say better acting than the OT and PT. And I'm not one of those people that is bothered by OT acting (except Ford and Billy Dee in ROTJ, yikes), I just think that the likes of Ewan and Edgerton exceed them.

Hell Jurassic Park 1 surpassed the OT just 10 years later.

Well you made the broad point about giving 45 year old visuals a pass compared to those of today so I expanded some of today's examples to those that I'd figured strike a chord with you and make my point better. So taking that logic and going back specifically to Kenobi then yes I can say that that starship visuals, cityscape visuals, lightsabers giving off proper reflective lighting effects, creature visuals like Obi-Wan's absolutely real looking Eopie, etc., surpass equivalent visuals in the OT.

Reva is definitely both of those things and I certainly can't think of anyone in the OT as bad as her but there have been many portions of the show without her and those are obviously what I'm thinking of when I say better acting than the OT and PT. And I'm not one of those people that is bothered by OT acting (except Ford and Billy Dee in ROTJ, yikes), I just think that the likes of Ewan and Edgerton exceed them.
As much as I dislike Leia’s personal flying droid it still looked like a real droid sitting on the tree interacting with her.

Hate the droid all you want.

Call the show cheap all you want.

But that dumb droid looked very real!

Vader suiting up looked great!

When it comes to SW, my main pop culture jam in life, my brain is wired to perfectly hate woke story group forced KK agenda spreadsheet story telling hollywood while simultaneously not throwing the baby out with Reva Hidalgo!

As much as I dislike Leia’s personal flying droid it still looked like a real droid sitting on the tree interacting with her.

Hate the droid all you want.

Call the show cheap all you want.

But that dumb droid looked very real!

Vader suiting up looked great!
So true about L0LA and hell yeah about Vader suiting up!

And obviously I'm not saying that Eopies look as cool as Tauntauns (lol) but hell if Obi-Wan's ride didn't look 100% real. Especially how he seamlessly rode it to his cave and it bent down while he slid off of it. No editing cheats of any kind, just perfectly convincing visuals.

So true about L0LA and hell yeah about Vader suiting up!

And obviously I'm not saying that Eopies look as cool as Tauntauns (lol) but hell if Obi-Wan's ride didn't look 100% real. Especially how he seamlessly rode it to his cave and it bent down while he slid off of it. No editing cheats of any kind, just perfectly convincing visuals.
It’s funny you bring that up I actually went and compared the Eopie to a real camel sitting down and it was like 99% perfect it’s crazy.

Yes. You don't compare the worst actor in Kenobi to the best actor in the OT. You compare best to best. McGregor and Edgerton outshine them all.

Yes, meaning more convincing visuals.
Did you forget Ford, Fisher, Guinness and Cushing were in the OT? Not that McGregor and Edgerton haven’t been good, but outshines? I beg to differ. And no strictly citing ROTJ performances in your response lol.

p.s. - How did you NOT know about Jye’s surgery? It had its own dedicated thread! :lol

p.s. - How did you NOT know about Jye’s surgery? It had its own dedicated thread! :lol
All that stuff needs to be discussed here, you can't require me to hunt back and forth from forum to forum, lol.

In all honesty I thought all his surgery stuff resolved itself prior to the release of MOM so glad to hear that it all went well jye and sorry for being clueless on the dates and times!

All that stuff needs to be discussed here, you can't require me to hunt back and forth from forum to forum, lol.

In all honesty I thought all his surgery stuff resolved itself prior to the release of MOM so glad to hear that it all went well jye and sorry for being clueless on the dates and times!
It’s all good Matticus even got banned real time while checking up on my thread I feel bad I was like “hey bring him back” lol

Back