**Beware SPOILERS** Obi-Wan Kenobi Series on Disney+ **Beware SPOILERS**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well actually, you're argument that OWK visuals are superior to those of the OT hinges entirely on the superior technology that's available today - without it OWK doesn't hold a candle to the OT. That's not to disparage Chow's work, it's just a fact. People were in awe watching Star Wars for the first time. The ships, the sweeping vistas, the FX - it was on an entirely new level. OK, the sweeping vistas were done by David Lean first, but still...no one I know has been in awe of what they've seen so far on OWK. I'm not saying It hasn't been enjoyable, but I think we need to keep things in perspective.
Well lets not pretend that Lucasfilm who pride themselves in the advancement of cinema arts didn’t put out those 2 Ewok TV movies during the OT era so technically we should be comparing ObiWan to those two Ewok TV movies!

Who wins now lol

Yeah now that this show has it that Obi-wan believed Anakin died in that Volcano it reframes Padme's last words to Obi-wan (about there still being good in Anakin) as this super-awkward moment.
Very true, though it was already awkward given that Lucas used Padme's dialogue to tell Obi-Wan point blank that there was hope for Anakin which he then summarily ignored in ROTJ when he urged Luke to go kill his father regardless, lol.

Luke to Obi-Wan's ghost on Endor: "I redeemed my father! Though only after a costly lightsaber duel that almost pushed me to the Dark Side, maimed my father so that he couldn't lift the Emperor high enough to avoid Force Lightning, etc."

Obi-Wan: "No kidding? Well I guess what your mom said about him decades ago was correct after all!"

Luke:

On the contrary, how OWK compares to other visuals today has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not its visuals are superior to the OT. In no small part because it demands that each viewer somehow have the same viewing experiences outside of SW, which would quite literally change from person to person and isn't remotely measurable.

Case in point: The legions of kids like myself who fell in love with SW in 1977 where SW was the very first or second movie we'd ever seen! You think I was sitting in the theater at 3 years old going ****, this is light years beyond Logan's Run, lol. Or imagine someone else sitting a couple rows back who'd never seen Logan's Run or Planet of the Apes but had seen 2001. They'd be going watch ANH going "meh, I've seen better."

Or are you going to tell me that because ROTJ was only an incremental improvement over ESB in terms of visuals (compared to ANH's quantum leap over Logan's Run) that somehow the ANH space battle was better looking than that DSII battle? Get out of here... ;)

Sure ANH changed the film industry, visual effects, and so on, but it also set a benchmark for visuals just within the SW Saga itself (being the first Episode and all) and I see nothing wrong with calling out and appreciating all the advancements that have been coming with each successive SW entry up to and including OWK.
I’m sorry, but I stopped reading after you said you were 3 years old when watching SW in 1977. Could tiny toddler you even see the screen? Somehow I don’t think we had the same viewing experience. :lol

I’m sorry, but I stopped reading after you said you were 3 years old when watching SW in 1977. Could tiny toddler you even see the screen? Somehow I don’t think we had the same viewing experience. :lol
Which only further proves my point of course. I would even wager that ANH had a much bigger imprint on my life than yours (as much a part of me as my ABC's :yess:) and yet I can still recognize that while it still looks great to this day it has also served as a foundation for new media to stand on and even exceed, at least with regard to the aspects we've been discussing.

Very true, though it was already awkward given that Lucas used Padme's dialogue to tell Obi-Wan point blank that there was hope for Anakin which he then summarily ignored in ROTJ when he urged Luke to go kill his father regardless, lol.

Luke to Obi-Wan's ghost on Endor: "I redeemed my father! Though only after a costly lightsaber duel that almost pushed me to the Dark Side, maimed my father so that he couldn't lift the Emperor high enough to avoid Force Lightning, etc."

Obi-Wan: "No kidding? Well I guess what your mom said about him decades ago was correct after all!"

Luke:

:rotfl

Brilliant use of that clip.

I always thought having Padme say that in ROTS was utterly pointless because A) as you said, Obi-Wan goes on to disregard it completely and B) Padme decides to die anyway rather than take hope from this belief she apparently has. You'd think she'd want to stay alive to help bring it to fruition. Wtf. Well, Padme's entire characterization was awful anyway, particularly in ROTS.

E6C473D4-10BC-4EEC-A5D8-1C53DBDAFC5F.jpeg

DDEE71DE-F85B-4C9C-B45D-E2FDBF02CA8B.jpeg

I'm too tired to read through this thread...
And not only that, I think I'm too burned out on mediocre SW to have enough energy to discuss anything about these different series, but I do have one question: isn't it a bit weird that that Reva knows that Vader is actually Anakin? And that Obi Wan didn't know that or that he's still alive? I mean, hasn't Vader been kicking ass all over the Galaxy for the last ten years? Or am I just too tired?

I will try to wade through the last few pages, it's probably been discussed to death...

I will say one thing though: they completely failed at making Vader cool and menacing. And that's all on the director, IMHO.

Which only further proves my point of course. I would even wager that ANH had a much bigger imprint on my life than yours (as much a part of me as my ABC's :yess:) and yet I can still recognize that while it still looks great to this day it has also served as a foundation for new media to stand on and even exceed, at least with regard to the aspects we've been discussing.
What point was that? What were we discussing again? Oh yes, visuals lol. Getting back to OWK, your mileage obviously differs but with the exception of the wide shots of the desert on Tatooine (or the quasi-desert on the most recent planet), everything has felt very limited in scope. Much like the town scenes in BOBF, I can’t get past how regardless of what planet it is it seems like I’m always looking at yet another block long film set. It’s still early so I’m hoping for a bit more variety in the settings.

Edit: I forgot about the rooftop scenes from Episode 2. Those were OK.

And not only that, I think I'm too burned out on mediocre SW to have enough energy to discuss anything about these different series, but I do have one question: isn't it a bit weird that that Reva knows that Vader is actually Anakin? And that Obi Wan didn't know that or that he's still alive? I mean, hasn't Vader been kicking ass all over the Galaxy for the last ten years? Or am I just too tired?

I will try to wade through the last few pages, it's probably been discussed to death...

I will say one thing though: they completely failed at making Vader cool and menacing. And that's all on the director, IMHO.
Let me get you up to speed then. The consensus is that Reva knowing Anakin's identity and Obi-Wan not knowing that he's alive are both highly suspect. The other consensus was that Vader was super cool and menacing. ;)

:rotfl

Brilliant use of that clip.

I always thought having Padme say that in ROTS was utterly pointless because A) as you said, Obi-Wan goes on to disregard it completely and B) Padme decides to die anyway rather than take hope from this belief she apparently has. You'd think she'd want to stay alive to help bring it to fruition. Wtf. Well, Padme's entire characterization was awful anyway, particularly in ROTS.
I know right!

"There's good in him but I...don't...care..." *dies*

Your earlier point still stands though that Obi-Wan not knowing about Anakin surviving does make Padme's exchange even stranger. Man, and for what gain? I guess they just really wanted an excuse to have Ewan deliver a super awesome reaction to the news (which it was) at the further expense of continuity. Oh well.

Also I'd think that Obi-Wan believing that Anakin is dead would make him less depressed and more hopeful that the Empire could be defeated if it was just the Emperor instead of Emperor plus Vader... :dunno

I agree Vader is very lame in this I would accept nothing less than him burning alive a room full of babies.

I want to see Vader at home on Mustafar at a campfire with three Younglings on a stick toasting them like marshmallows.

I want... Hayden evil!

Prowse is not enough! Shaw... weak! But Hayden...

anakin-liar.gif
What was the point of bringing Hayden back? I’m happy for him, but between the costume, JEJ’s voice dubbed in and the prosthetics when he’s in the tank it could be Pedro Pascal in this show for all we know lol.

Back