BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need proper anchors. Best to find a stud of cause but I found some amazing drywall anchors that look like white oversized screws. https://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5y...ngId=-1&keyword=drywall anchors&storeId=10051

Sounds like you might want to consult a DIYer friend ;)

Aligning the doors take a bit of patience but each door hinge needs adjusting. I usually start with adjusting one to as good as possible and then cloning the same setup.

thanks guys but I don't think fastening the shelves to the wall is an option for me as I'm renting plus the heat that is directly behind won't allow it; I'll probably take off the legs and hope for the best :pray:

What do you use to hold them to the wall? I tried using the things they come with but apparently my walls are made out of paper and cant seem to support a nail.

I actually used the safety strap that came with my detolf for the besta instead, you can easily find similar materials. I drilled one end into a stud in the wall and the other end onto the top of the besta. I didn't want to use the things the besta came with because I didn't want to make a hole in the cardboard backing of the besta. I didn't find that too stable at the time and didn't want to risk ruining the cardboard backing.

just picked up a couple of Besta shelves with the Tombo glass doors; however, I have a couple of issues. I followed the instructions to a tee but I can't get the glass doors to line up with each other properly; they're misaligned when I line up the two shelves together and they look weird.

Secondly, anyone find the shelves a little unstable? When I have all the glass doors opened with nothing inside (no statues or shelves,) the Besta tips over if I don't hold it back. Any comments would greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind the weight of the wooden shelves and statues will make the besta more grounded and a little more stable unless it is top heavy. The tombo doors are pretty heavy, so an empty besta with the glass doors open (weight towards the front) will make it tip forward. I also got some besta legs which I adjusted the front ones so that the besta will lean more back towards the wall instead of forward; I'm sure you can do it with the stock legs as well.

Has anyone hung a single Besta unit on a wall I can't see any fixings or holes in the units, in IKEA they just have 2 screws through the top but that won't hold 1:1 busts.

just picked up a couple of Besta shelves with the Tombo glass doors; however, I have a couple of issues. I followed the instructions to a tee but I can't get the glass doors to line up with each other properly; they're misaligned when I line up the two shelves together and they look weird.

Secondly, anyone find the shelves a little unstable? When I have all the glass doors opened with nothing inside (no statues or shelves,) the Besta tips over if I don't hold it back. Any comments would greatly appreciated.

Is Ikea still selling the Tombo doors (the $50 ones) for Bestas? They are not listed on the website anymore.

thanks guys but I don't think fastening the shelves to the wall is an option for me as I'm renting plus the heat that is directly behind won't allow it; I'll probably take off the legs and hope for the best :pray:

I haven't mounted mine to the wall and they are very sturdy.

IMG_1057.jpg

They are on carpet and I use the Besta legs. You should be fine.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80143217/

I actually used the safety strap that came with my detolf for the besta instead, you can easily find similar materials. I drilled one end into a stud in the wall and the other end onto the top of the besta. I didn't want to use the things the besta came with because I didn't want to make a hole in the cardboard backing of the besta. I didn't find that too stable at the time and didn't want to risk ruining the cardboard backing.

Keep in mind the weight of the wooden shelves and statues will make the besta more grounded and a little more stable unless it is top heavy. The tombo doors are pretty heavy, so an empty besta with the glass doors open (weight towards the front) will make it tip forward. I also got some besta legs which I adjusted the front ones so that the besta will lean more back towards the wall instead of forward; I'm sure you can do it with the stock legs as well.

hey thanks, never thought about the idea of adjusting the front legs to lean the shelf backwards. I think I'll give that a try.

I tried to mount mine to the wall using the Ikea pieces that came with the Besta, and it worked like crap. I ended up buying drywall anchors (L-shaped) and screwed them into the top of the Besta and then into a stud (or two if possible). Now those suckers aren't going anywhere!

Is Ikea still selling the Tombo doors (the $50 ones) for Bestas? They are not listed on the website anymore.

not sure about the US, but I'm in Canada where they're still readily available

I have another question; are the pegs safe enough to hold the shelf for a weight of ~35 lbs or do you guys use the ones where you can secure it with a screw? My shelf only came with four of the screw type ones.

not sure about the US, but I'm in Canada where they're still readily available

I have another question; are the pegs safe enough to hold the shelf for a weight of ~35 lbs or do you guys use the ones where you can secure it with a screw? My shelf only came with four of the screw type ones.

I put the ones with the screws in the middle of the shelf, I felt it would stabilize the shelf from rocking left to right more than anything. According to IKEA's website, the max load/shelf is 66 lbs sooo I think you should be fine.

Anyone have pictures of 1/6th scale figures displayed in rows with acrylic risers? I am thinking of going with Bestas for 1/6th. Also would be interested in seeing pictures of 7" figures being displayed the same way if anyone has any or could maybe take pictures of their setup?

They'd be a bit lost inside Bestas I'd imagine. Bought myself 2 Billy book cases for my 1/6 and 2 Bestas for my larger 1/4 scale figures & busts etc.

i saw the billy with the glass door that is similar to detolf....does anyone have their 1/6 displayed in that?

Hi guys!

I'm trying to find the best display/storage solution for my collection which so far consists of a few PFs (The Terminator, Jason Part 3 and Jack Sparrow), the Alien Warrior Maquette and four 1/5 scale polystone statues.

I already have the white EXPEDIT bookcase on one side of the room so was thinking white BESTA with glass doors, and mirrord inserts for the back and base of each cube holding a statue. Does anyone have this set up, or even just the white BESTA cubes for their display.

I don't know what height to get - I would like to think I will fit three PFs each side in this one https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/70179344/
and two PFs each side in this one https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/90179343/
but am worried about the Terminator PF because with his outstretched arm, I don't know if he will fit with a glass door, even if I angle him.

Thoughts/suggestions/comments most welcome!

i've seen white bestas with pf's on this board somewhere.
it gives a very modern look and is a great backdrop without mirrored backs. The T1 PF fits no problem in a besta perfectly

Hi guys!

I'm trying to find the best display/storage solution for my collection which so far consists of a few PFs (The Terminator, Jason Part 3 and Jack Sparrow), the Alien Warrior Maquette and four 1/5 scale polystone statues.

I already have the white EXPEDIT bookcase on one side of the room so was thinking white BESTA with glass doors, and mirrord inserts for the back and base of each cube holding a statue. Does anyone have this set up, or even just the white BESTA cubes for their display.

I don't know what height to get - I would like to think I will fit three PFs each side in this one https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/70179344/
and two PFs each side in this one https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/90179343/
but am worried about the Terminator PF because with his outstretched arm, I don't know if he will fit with a glass door, even if I angle him.

Thoughts/suggestions/comments most welcome!

Hi obsidian,

I went with white BESTAs with glass doors (mainly because I wasn't fussed with the timber look of the others). I'd take a pic for you but it's empty at the moment.

You may have seen them but here are a few links to others on the board - with the right lighting the white can look very museum-like:

ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR

As psimun said, the Terminator PF fits easy. I had him displayed on the same shelf as the SS T-800 bust which looked quite good.

If you go ahead with the mirror I'd be interested to see pics of that as I've considered putting them in myself.

After looking for so long for a deeper cabinet to fit my collectibles in I gave up and bought Bestas which are only 40cm deep, now I have just found in the children's section a cabinet which has the exact same dimensions as a Besta but it is 50cm deep. You can use the same glass Tombo doors as the Bestas as it is the same sizes. I only wish I had found them earlier as my room is full. Here is the link.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30128177/

I caved and bought a Besta unit. I don't have many large pieces to display in them so I'm currently debating on either going for glass shelves or going the custom acrylic riser route. If anyone knows of any acrylic shops that do good, decent priced work let me know. I'd love to do black risers but I can't find a shop to do a small run of them. :monkey1

Back