'Batman: Year One' adaptation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished watching. I thought this was the weakest animation I have seen from DC so far. There was waaaay too much emphasis in Gordon and in the corruption in Gotham City. Catwoman also added NOTHING to the story.

I really wish they had focused more on the idea of a rookie Batman, making mistakes and learning as he goes. I thought that's what the story was supposed to be about anyways. We got very little (almost nothing) of that! Come to think of it, there was hardly any Batman at all.

I'm glad I did not buy this one! I'm curious to see what you guys thought of it.

i liked it thought it was dc's best animated movie yet i read the story yes it not exacty like the book but it was damn good .

I just finished watching. I thought this was the weakest animation I have seen from DC so far. There was waaaay too much emphasis in Gordon and in the corruption in Gotham City. Catwoman also added NOTHING to the story.

I really wish they had focused more on the idea of a rookie Batman, making mistakes and learning as he goes. I thought that's what the story was supposed to be about anyways. We got very little (almost nothing) of that! Come to think of it, there was hardly any Batman at all.

I'm glad I did not buy this one! I'm curious to see what you guys thought of it.

Then it follows the comic closely as Gordon was the focus of Year One. It was told as Gordon was feeling hopeless against the corruption of the GCPD and stuck was a crooked partner Flass. Suddenly for him a crazy dude who dresses up like a bat appears and Gordon sees by the end he can use him as a partner to combat crime and corruption in Gotham.

Anyone from the uk ordering this from amazon.com? Its not on the uk amazon and was wondering if amazon.com has free shipping to the uk?

^ A member called Soundwave kindly pointed out this site to us UK members https://www.movietyme.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=52274
They have the BluRay for £14.99 including shipping. Awesome!! :D

It's also available on iTunes for download now too in the UK. I downloaded it Monday and watched it - really enjoyed it too. Posted my thoughts on it in more detail on the previous page, but my main disappointment was the lack of Catwoman short that comes with the BluRay.
Definitely going to order from that site above.

^ A member called Soundwave kindly pointed out this site to us UK members https://www.movietyme.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=52274
They have the BluRay for £14.99 including shipping. Awesome!! :D

It's also available on iTunes for download now too in the UK. I downloaded it Monday and watched it - really enjoyed it too. Posted my thoughts on it in more detail on the previous page, but my main disappointment was the lack of Catwoman short that comes with the BluRay.
Definitely going to order from that site above.

I think I should be on a commission with them for the extra sales on this title ;) lol

Neil

Haha yeah you should! I bet they'll sell a lot more of this than they would have done now thanks to your link :D

Haha yeah you should! I bet they'll sell a lot more of this than they would have done now thanks to your link :D

Lol ;)

I've used them for years (way back when I was buying Region 1 DVD's) & they've been always been great.
The Postage isn't the best & some times I might have to wait 7-10 days but I'm never really that desperate for a title so it doesn't worry me too much.

They are also really good at confirming what is Region Free & what isn't for Blu-Rays
If you sign up to their Facebook or Twitter feeds you'll get regular updates on the status of the latest titles so you know whether import or wait for the UK release.

Oh one thing with the DC titles...get your orders in early if you want the Slipcovers.
I was a little late getting Green Lantern: First Flight & Batman/Superman: Public Enemies so missed out on the slipcovers so now they look a little out of place in amongst the others :monkey2

Neil

Watched this last night. EXCELLENT!!! Particularly if you love the comic book. It follows it so tightly that it really feels like one of the best adaptations I have seen. DC animation should be commended for following this so closely and giving us older fans the Year One we remember. This was the book that got me to love Gordon so much and really showed just how much Gordon needs Batman. Bryan Cranston was perfect as Gordon btw, the guy who voiced Batman....not so much. I don't know why they went with this guy, he read the lines terribly and his Batman voice was not convincing at all. Besides that complaint, everything else was so solid it more than made up for it.

I give it a solid 9 out of 10 (would be 9.5 but the Batman voice really bugged me)

It really is. I was just surprised at how close they stuck to the source material. If they can do this with Year One, bring On Dark Knight Returns!!!! Would love for them to do DKR and The Long Halloween. Just recast Batman :)

Got my blu ray of this this morning. Have to say im a little disappointed. It was really well made, and stuck VERY close to the book. Pretty much scene for scene. Which is a great thing in my view. But i really didnt like the voices. Any of them. I thought Batman's voice was just awful. Although it did sound good when he crashed the party with Falcone and Commissioner Loeb. I hated Falcone's voice, just kept thinking of Roger Myers from the Simpsons (yep, its the same voice). And even Gordons voice i didnt think really suited him. I dunno, maybe its just because its weird seeing the story up on screen with voices when im used to just reading it and hearing them in my head.
But other than the voices it was still pretty good. I just found that the whole cast was a bit of a let down. That said, i'd still love them to follow it up with an adaptation of of The Man Who Laughs, would be a perfect sequel i think. Then maybe move on to The Long Halloween, probably my favourite Batman book.

There are so many Batman books that i love its hard for me to pick a definite favourite, but if I really had to I'd say The Long Halloween. Its just perfect. Would love to see that done. But I also think The Man Who Laughs would make a great follow up to Year One, as thats how i see the books of each. Whenever i read Year One, the end makes me want to read The Man Who Laughs.

Hope you enjoy it void, it is good, I was just really let down by the voice actors. Some good special features though.

Can't wait to see this either eagerly waiting for the Blu-Ray to arrive :)

Personally I'd like an animated version of a Death in the Family.

That could be awesome if handled right & made a little darkly.

Killing Joke would be way up on the list as well.

Neil

Back