Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Age of Ultron's Chinese subtitles have been causing some major confusion for audiences. While it's easy to understand that some phrases just don't have the same meaning when translated directly from English to Chinese, it seems as if some were translated using Google translate according to some fans.

For example, at one point Captain America says, "I'm home," but that was translated to the Chinese audience as "I'm good." Another example, one complains about waiting too long but is translated as saying, "I am very old." And remember Captain America's pep talk, "You get hurt, hurt them back. You get killed...walk it off." Well, that one has been said to be mistranslated as well, resulting in, "Run fast if someone tries to kill you."

Finally, one of the biggest misses comes when Tony Stark tries to rally the troops, "We may not make it out of this." This was translated to, "Let's back off now," giving Stark's phrase a completely different meaning. Some fans even got so frustrated that they chose to walk out of the theater.

"Run fat if someone tries to kill you" :lol

Seen it 6 times, I think that's it for me. They aren't showing it at my local IMAX anymore because Mad Max is out, and I don't plan on seeing it on another screen.

Can anyone explain to me all the feminist controversy about the movie? I don't get it.
There are some crazy women in Tumblr and other SJW-tier places who claim BW was reduced to a female trope of the lowest, most disgustingly sexist kind, being love interest/damsel in distress, these people are allegedly the reason Whedon quit twitter, they were writing insults, death threats and other vitriol of the kind with a mighty mighty rage...

Pretty dumb stuffz.

There are some crazy women in Tumblr and other SJW-tier places who claim BW was reduced to a female trope of the lowest, most disgustingly sexist kind, being love interest/damsel in distress, these people are allegedly the reason Whedon quit twitter, they were writing insults, death threats and other vitriol of the kind with a mighty mighty rage...

Pretty dumb stuffz.

Yeah, that's ridiculous, if anything BW was one of the strongest things in the 2 movies.

Seen it 6 times, I think that's it for me. They aren't showing it at my local IMAX anymore because Mad Max is out, and I don't plan on seeing it on another screen.

Yup, I finished at 6 as well. I'm good for now. :lol

Pretty dumb stuffz.

They also complained about her being sterilized. :lol

Last edited:
`I'll admit that I understand some of the complaints about Widow - and no, I'm not sending threats to Whedon. That's an extreme few. I've always been a fan of Joss and what he usually does with female characters and he's told good romance stories in his work before this. I recognize what he was going for, but I think the execution of the Widow/Banner relationship was very poor, and the farm scene was very much a case of intention = / execution. I remember sitting in the theater during my first showing, watching that scene and thinking "this is gonna go over like a lead balloon". That's what it did with me.

The execution of the romance in general was terrible - there was no build up to their attraction, he tried to make it an angsty/tragic romance and they'd barely gone past the flirting stage. And Natasha Romanoff does not work in a Buffy/Angel style romance. He wanted a Beauty for Beauty and the Beast, but Nat isn't a good fit.

I also think Scarlett and Mark do not have that kind of chemistry. And chemistry is important, because sometimes if the chemistry is strong enough, it allows viewers to engage in the couple, even if it's rushed/ill developed.

I was disappointed in the storyline for Widow, minus the flashback nightmare Scarlett Witch made her see. I think the Russo brothers have shown they're the best with the character so far - they enhanced her vulnerability in a way that made sense for the character. I also think they could have penned a more fitting romance story for her.

Last edited:
As that now famous article puts it:

"politically offensive as well as aesthetically offensive. She can’t have babies. She’s sad because she can’t have babies. There you go! Depth established! I mean, it’s disgusting. Defining your female character’s motivation solely around the Betty Crocker axis of “wants boyfriend” and “wants babies” is 100% disgusting."

"Betty Crocker Axis"
confused.gif

Is it an Axis of evil?!?

In fairness to Whedon, none of the characters in his films, or the Marvel Studios-verse in general are particularly "deep." And the dream sequences highlight this. That's not the point of these movies. You make them 3-dimensional enough that you care about them, but we're not going to get character stories on the order of Deniro in Raging Bull or Welles in Citizen Kane. These are fanciful movies meant to entertain kids and kids at heart, period. If you try to read more into it, then you're going in with the wrong orientation IMO.

I just told my girl what I was about to post and she just smacked me and made me mop the floor and do the dishes

:lol :lol

My wife just wants to see Vision kick some ass. :lol

In fairness to Whedon, none of the characters in his films, or the Marvel Studios-verse in general are particularly "deep." And the dream sequences highlight this. That's not the point of these movies. You make them 3-dimensional enough that you care about them, but we're not going to get character stories on the order of Deniro in Raging Bull or Welles in Citizen Kane. These are fanciful movies meant to entertain kids and kids at heart, period. If you try to read more into it, then you're going in with the wrong orientation IMO.

Is that what you think of me?

If so, :yess:

:lol

It's one of those scenrios where the director is damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You write that the female character wants to have babies and that is viewed as disgusting and has no depth.

I bet if he wrote that she didn't care about having babies that someone out there would've wrote the same thing, it is disgusting and has no depth. How could she NOT care about motherhood, how dare they, that's disgusting and brings no depth to the character!

See, damned if you do and damned if you don't lol!

But the best part of her article is when she said that Marvel shouldn't be surprised of the death threats against JW because they write movies where violence comes first before peaceful negotiations to resolve conflict, so they shouldn't be surprised how their fans react when the MCU comes under attack. Wut!

That's just what I want to see, Hulk having tea with Loki! :lol

Last edited:
Is that what you think of me?

If so, :yess:

:lol
It's not meant as an insult. I think anyone who collects toys, sees movies based on funny books, and likes to talk about these kinds of things with like-minded folks is young at heart. And that's not a bad thing. But it's pretty silly to start critiquing a comic movie for not giving us the dramatic equivalent of Daniel Plainview, Norma Rae, or Jake Gittes.

Of course, sometimes filmmakers go above and beyond--I think this was the case with Chris Nolan--but by and large this isn't the motivation for making these films and the target audience isn't really asking for it.

Back