Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense taken kara, I was just posing my Thor. :lol

I can appreciate what Chris Nolan gave us with BB and TDK, but I don't see those two movies any more sophisticated or intellectual than what the MCU has given us

Hell, Man of Steel tried to be very sophisticated and intellectual with its codex story and all I got out of it was a suicide by tornado! :lol

If anything I prefer Avengers over TDK simply because it has better superhero action.

So yeah, I guess you're right! :lol

If I want Dr. Zhivago i'll go watch Dr. Zhivago, I don't need that level of complexity when Hulk is fighting aliens or A.I. :lol

Guys quit hating on the tornado! Once again Mr. Kent sacrificed himself to hide his adopted sons secret. His love for his family was important to him and wanted his son to live a normal life . Plus he wanted to save the family dog which I would have done myself . It was a beautiful moment of love for life!!!

In fairness to Whedon, none of the characters in his films, or the Marvel Studios-verse in general are particularly "deep." And the dream sequences highlight this. That's not the point of these movies. You make them 3-dimensional enough that you care about them, but we're not going to get character stories on the order of Deniro in Raging Bull or Welles in Citizen Kane. These are fanciful movies meant to entertain kids and kids at heart, period. If you try to read more into it, then you're going in with the wrong orientation IMO.

That's all very true but I still think you can dig in and explain certain things with a certain level of complexity. Jokes aside, I won't claim to understand woman :lol, but I don't see what's terribly wrong here.

Her vulnerability in TWS had to do with work, not romance. Her flirting with Rogers had to do with lust, not love, and a girl can act two very different ways in both of those scenarios.

Her attraction to Banner makes perfect sense in my opinion (keeping it brief and not over analytical). The foundation of it was her fear of him. She obviously is attracted to his duality and loves both personas (best of both worlds rolled in one; dorky, brilliant sensitive scientist... giant rage warrior).

So what was the big issue? We saw her mushy side? Was it so bad that we saw there's a real girl underneath that hard exterior? Maybe it's not her usual character but perhaps Banner brings that out of her. Maybe she was just a little off kilter because Wanda sent of for a loop and it hit her hard (as they said several times). Maybe she got sterilized when she was younger and had a completely different mindset, and now as an older woman regrets that.

IDK. For me it can be rationalized many ways and it works. Or maybe I'm just a dude and don't get it

Last edited:
Boy are you going to get it now. :lol

:lol:lol:lol

Guys quit hating on the tornado! Once again Mr. Kent sacrificed himself to hide his adopted sons secret. His love for his family was important to him and wanted his son to live a normal life . Plus he wanted to save the family dog which I would have done myself . It was a beautiful moment of love for life!!!

It was the delivery, not the event

"Betty Crocker Axis"
confused.gif

Is it an Axis of evil?!?

Red Velvet cupcakes are EVIL!! Rolling pin be damned!!

Hell, Man of Steel tried to be very sophisticated and intellectual with its codex story and all I got out of it was a suicide by tornado! :lol
Well the problem right there is you substitute the guy responsible for Memento as his first major original, artistic foray into movies with the guy responsible for Sucker Punch as his equivalent. . . . . . . .'nuff said, true believers!

At the end of the day these are just movies about COMIC BOOKS. It's not Shakespeare. There's not deep philosophical meaning in any of this stuff, and for those that find hidden evils or ulterior motives somewhere you've just been putting waaaaaay more time into these movies than you should. I crack on Man of Steel because Snyder took a movie about a man in a funny red sheet so seriously I couldn't enjoy it. Like the Joker said, "Why so serious?"

Sorry, held that post back a minute!

No one will ever top Batman becoming Batman and then spending two movies trying not to be Batman. Deepz.

rxZaHkD.gif

I know there's a big backlash against the onslaught of the Nolanites from years back. Rightly so. Seems like many of those guys wanted to erect a Church of Ledger Joker in honor of those films, and read way more deeply into them than they probably should have. But in my opinion--and I'm a guy who really enjoyed those films, but didn't watch them 50,000 times, write my dissertation about them, dream about Nolan Ledger coming to me at night, etc.--the first two Nolan films are still the "deepest," and most artistically successful "traditional" comic book movies yet (traditional because no one can match A History of Violence, and no one ever will!).

They were thoughtful and relatively sophisticated, they did develop and address complex situations and characters, and I think there is a greater meaning below the surface in the way that there is a greater meaning below the surface in all well made art. In that sense, I think they distinguish themselves from the other stuff we've seen. Not to bash any of it for that, it's just that they differ in that respect, and in my opinion should be judged based on what they are attempting to do, not on what they can't hope to achieve since these achievements aren't goals of the filmmakers (case in point--fleshing out a truly multi-dimensional Black Widow). My favorite comic movie isn't one of the Nolan films, but X2. But I think I'm calling a spade a spade here.

There's a continuum of artistic/dramatic success in comic book movies. On one side, you have movies like Catwoman, with no artistic value and no real entertainment value, either. Toward the middle, you have movies that are good and well made, but don't have much artistic merit, and aren't really trying to delve into questions of who we are and why we do what we do, aren't spending a lot of serious time or thought into the symbolic meaning of behaviors and accomplishments in the film, etc. And there I would place much of the Marvel Studios stuff. Or, you have movies that attempt to do more, but miss the mark in the eyes of a majority of critics and onlookers, and I would put Sucker Punch in that category. A little further down I would place the Singer/Vaughn X-Men, who are still trying to entertain audiences with action and comic booky wackiness, but mix that with a little more dramatic depth. And on the far, opposite side of the spectrum I would put the first couple of Nolan films. Maybe they are a bit pretentious, and maybe they aren't all that Nolan or his acolytes pretend that they are. But they're still "more" than anything else we've seen, yet.

I would say the characters in Avengers are so much more complex than Nolan's Batpeople it's not even measurable. What can be said about Jim Gordon, probably the third biggest character of the trilogy, other than he is grimly determined?

They are indeed different movies with different goals. I just don't see what other people see in the Nolan movies. I like them, I own them and watch them from time to time. I think Begins is probably the best live action Batman movie. But I don't see complexity in the story or characters. They are absolute simplicity pursuing sledgehammer-subtle themes.

I would say the characters in Avengers are so much more complex than Nolan's Batpeople it's not even measurable. What can be said about Jim Gordon, probably the third biggest character of the trilogy, other than he is grimly determined?

They are indeed different movies with different goals. I just don't see what other people see in the Nolan movies. I like them, I own them and watch them from time to time. I think Begins is probably the best live action Batman movie. But I don't see complexity in the story or characters. They are absolute simplicity pursuing sledgehammer-subtle themes.
And to that I say. . .

rxZaHkD.gif

:D

Stark has the potential to be an interesting, complex character. But his arc across the films makes no real sense. I'm still not sure how he goes from Iron Man 3 to Avengers. He seems to experience no growth at all in Avengers, despite the ostensible theme that all these guys have to learn and change, etc. The conflict with Steve and the others has no payoff at all in that film, and seems weird. He seems to have transformed into a redundant caricature of what he was throughout the first Iron Man film at this point. He is funny and likable, though.

This is actually why I appreciate the Nolan trilogy and the Singer/Vaughn X-Men films. They try to offer something more than just cool action sequences and funny one liners. I definitely agree with your assessment on the X films, and how they're kind of in the middle when it comes to embracing the comics and being a "deep" artistic film. Sometimes I feel like studios would make much better films if they stopped trying to cater to the fans, and just make the movie they want, but that's kind of hard to do with summer blockbusters, and a really great director with a specific vision would probably be needed which wouldn't be easy to find with the amount of superhero movies that come out now.

I also recognize there are a lot of comic book fans who feel grounding the comics, or adding any depth to characters/universe where claws, webs, and beams come out of people is ridiculous in itself, I don't know why they feel like that but they prefer a much more simple fun film with their favorite characters kicking ass. It's all subjective so I can't really say they're wrong for that, but this is pretty much why I'm glad Marvel doesn't have the rights to all their characters. The variety is prolonging the eventual fatigue from happening so soon in my opinion.

And to that I say. . .

rxZaHkD.gif

:D

Stark has the potential to be an interesting, complex character. But his arc across the films makes no real sense. I'm still not sure how he goes from Iron Man 3 to Avengers. He seems to experience no growth at all in Avengers, despite the ostensible theme that all these guys have to learn and change, etc. The conflict with Steve and the others has no payoff at all in that film, and seems weird. He seems to have transformed into a redundant caricature of what he was throughout the first Iron Man film at this point. He is funny and likable, though.

I'm still wondering how learning how to be afraid makes you jump higher.

We can agree to disagree. :)

Since we're on the topic of cbm universes ... am I the only person who thought The Dark Knight dragged on a bit at the end?
It was a bit jarring to have the triumphant defeat of the Joker (which is the equivalent of the climax of 99% of comic book movies) turn out to be bittersweet, and to be followed up by the almost action-free, dramatic standoff with Harvey. But given the story that was being told, I think it worked really well.

Latest posts

Back