Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I might have imagined it, can't find anything to back it up. There's a shot of Cap looking at a flag pole and he says "We're home"

Very entertaining film- great time at movies. However I continue to think first one was superior and A0U trying too hard in too many places to top it. Just too much thrown in alot of the battle scenes for the sake of overloading- I think TWS's fights were far better in realistic"that could hurt" way than the infinite slugfests Cap endures in this one.
I am most unhappy how Stark/RDJ was in the backround alot in the last third of the film...just didn't feel right to me.

Didn't Cap say that in Winter Solider? I remember him having a flashback at an army base in NJ before he talks to the living computer.

Since everyone's doing their own list, might as well make my own:

Iron Man - 10/10 - perfect in every way, characters, pacing, impact, still the best MCU film

TIH - 6/10 - really good start but fumbles along the way and turns into a slug-fest in the end

Iron Man 2 - 6/10 - cast was really fun, does more telling than showing with regards to Tony's problems, villains were wasted

Thor - 7/10 - solid stuff, middle act could have been developed better, Loki at his best and most developed than in any other film

TFA - 8/10 - really great start with Cap as an idealistic underdog, fun mix of war movie with retro pulpy sci-fi

Avengers - 8/10 - good flow, really fun team dynamic, best Hulk depiction to date but Loki is underutilized even if he was charming

Iron Man 3 - 7/10 - humanizes Tony, great stuff outside the suit, twist was great, main villain is an improvement over IM2

TDW - 6/10 - Thor and Loki dynamic was the best part, Earth cast was fun but the villains were really uninspired

TWS - 8/10 - Bucky is a great silent villain, best action scenes, game-changer film in terms of the MCU lore

GOTG - 9/10 - very unoriginal yet very self-aware of audience reception, main cast was a delight, and story knew how to have fun while having a lot of heart

AOU - 9/10 - "underdog" movie that finally develops Clint & Nat, great new additions (Wanda & Vision), Ultron is a far more interesting villain than Loki in Avengers

Nice list.. I disagree with many but agree with some..... One comment.. Hulk should end with a slug fest ;) :) But it was a bit of an uninspired slug fest :)

Did anyone see the Jocasta reference when Tony was uploading the new Jarvis, Friday?

I missed it on the first viewing but I swear I saw one of the program's labeled Jocasta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how's Quicksilver? How does he compare to Evan Peter's version? Would you guy say his version was the better one?

how's Quicksilver? How does he compare to Evan Peter's version? Would you guy say his version was the better one?

I think he was good. I actually liked him a lot, but the QS in DOFP was definitely made faster, and more humorous. This one was emotional (not in a sappy way) and definitely has moments, but nothing really stood out like DOFP Pentagon scene.

While QS in DOFP was the better representation of his abilities and had a cooler scene, QS in AOU had the bigger emotional impact for me.

Rescuing Magneto pales in comparison to QS story arc in AOU.

QS rescuing kids > QS rescuing villain Magneto.

AOU Pietro was good in the way he felt closer to the comics and got a better story arc. DOFP Pietro was more in line with his "X-Men: Evolution" cartoon depiction which, while fun, was more of a presence than an actual character in the movie compared to AOU Pietro.

As mentioned though, AOU Pietro didn't get a full-on standout scene like DOFP Pietro.

Published May 01, 2015 by Devin Faraci
Why Joss Whedon Cut The Hulk’s Best Scene From AGE OF ULTRON

Filmmaking is about making tough choices, and Whedon was forced to make the toughest.

avengers1__span.jpg

I’ve interviewed Joss Whedon a couple of times, and on a few of those occasions he has talked about something I find incredibly interesting: the difference between moves and moments in storytelling. For Joss a moment is the culmination of things - character as well as plot based - that pays off what came before. It’s natural, organic, growing out of everything that came before.

A move, though, is when the filmmaker reaches into the movie and makes things happen - a weird character choice, a random outside influence, a series of belabored scenes - intended to get to a payoff. A moment is something you find, a move is what you do to desperately get to that moment.

In my review of Avengers: Age of Ultron, I mentioned that the film didn’t have many of the fist-pumping moments that made The Avengers special. But it wasn’t always that way - the original script had a Hulk moment that was so good it would have been THE fist-pumping moment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It wasn’t in the final movie, and I didn’t know why. So I asked Whedon when I interviewed him a few weeks ago. But first, a note from Joss that explains why I won’t tell you what this cool thing was:

I don’t talk about it specifically because I said to Marvel, ‘You can use this in another movie! Hold on to that!’

So with the knowledge that this cool bit could still pop up in a Marvel movie, and that it would suck to spoil it, here’s Whedon giving the hard-edged explanation for why it’s not in Age of Ultron:

Sometimes what seems like a moment turns out to be a move. That turned out to be a move.

It’s a great gag, but I couldn’t justify it. We were building a lot of the final battle around it, and it was killing us. Even when we were shooting. We had to stutter-step everything else, and eventually in post I convinced them we need to jettison this concept. I knew I could write a conclusion for Bruce and Natasha that I thought would be much better storytelling, and would be a real moment.

This made me respect Whedon even more. The scene he cut was amazing on the page, and he had to know that - whether it read as a move or a moment - it would be huge with the audience. But he opted instead for the integrity of his storytelling, of making sure the whole worked instead of letting the whole suffer for the sake of one great scene. Kill your darlings, they say, and he did.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers, I'm going to watch it this weekend. Hopefully I enjoy it more than the first movie.

Back