Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QS in DOFP >>>> QS in AOU

Spoiler Spoiler:

Really, one scene of QS rescuing a villain like Magneto has more emotional impact for you then QS rescuing children.

Dang. :lol

If just his abilities and coolness of the scene, then yeah, DOFP.

Although what QS did in AOU was also pretty cool.

I'm so glad the Russos are taking over. Hopefully they're not a one trick pony and can continue to delivery the quality that was Winter Soldier with Civil War and The Infinity War.

Published May 01, 2015 by Devin Faraci
Why Joss Whedon Cut The Hulk’s Best Scene From AGE OF ULTRON

Filmmaking is about making tough choices, and Whedon was forced to make the toughest.

avengers1__span.jpg

I’ve interviewed Joss Whedon a couple of times, and on a few of those occasions he has talked about something I find incredibly interesting: the difference between moves and moments in storytelling. For Joss a moment is the culmination of things - character as well as plot based - that pays off what came before. It’s natural, organic, growing out of everything that came before.

A move, though, is when the filmmaker reaches into the movie and makes things happen - a weird character choice, a random outside influence, a series of belabored scenes - intended to get to a payoff. A moment is something you find, a move is what you do to desperately get to that moment.

In my review of Avengers: Age of Ultron, I mentioned that the film didn’t have many of the fist-pumping moments that made The Avengers special. But it wasn’t always that way - the original script had a Hulk moment that was so good it would have been THE fist-pumping moment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It wasn’t in the final movie, and I didn’t know why. So I asked Whedon when I interviewed him a few weeks ago. But first, a note from Joss that explains why I won’t tell you what this cool thing was:

I don’t talk about it specifically because I said to Marvel, ‘You can use this in another movie! Hold on to that!’

So with the knowledge that this cool bit could still pop up in a Marvel movie, and that it would suck to spoil it, here’s Whedon giving the hard-edged explanation for why it’s not in Age of Ultron:

Sometimes what seems like a moment turns out to be a move. That turned out to be a move.

It’s a great gag, but I couldn’t justify it. We were building a lot of the final battle around it, and it was killing us. Even when we were shooting. We had to stutter-step everything else, and eventually in post I convinced them we need to jettison this concept. I knew I could write a conclusion for Bruce and Natasha that I thought would be much better storytelling, and would be a real moment.

This made me respect Whedon even more. The scene he cut was amazing on the page, and he had to know that - whether it read as a move or a moment - it would be huge with the audience. But he opted instead for the integrity of his storytelling, of making sure the whole worked instead of letting the whole suffer for the sake of one great scene. Kill your darlings, they say, and he did.

WHAT WAS IT??? I hope we get all this stuff in teh blu ray.

Published May 01, 2015 by Devin Faraci
Why Joss Whedon Cut The Hulk’s Best Scene From AGE OF ULTRON

Filmmaking is about making tough choices, and Whedon was forced to make the toughest.

avengers1__span.jpg

I’ve interviewed Joss Whedon a couple of times, and on a few of those occasions he has talked about something I find incredibly interesting: the difference between moves and moments in storytelling. For Joss a moment is the culmination of things - character as well as plot based - that pays off what came before. It’s natural, organic, growing out of everything that came before.

A move, though, is when the filmmaker reaches into the movie and makes things happen - a weird character choice, a random outside influence, a series of belabored scenes - intended to get to a payoff. A moment is something you find, a move is what you do to desperately get to that moment.

In my review of Avengers: Age of Ultron, I mentioned that the film didn’t have many of the fist-pumping moments that made The Avengers special. But it wasn’t always that way - the original script had a Hulk moment that was so good it would have been THE fist-pumping moment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It wasn’t in the final movie, and I didn’t know why. So I asked Whedon when I interviewed him a few weeks ago. But first, a note from Joss that explains why I won’t tell you what this cool thing was:

I don’t talk about it specifically because I said to Marvel, ‘You can use this in another movie! Hold on to that!’

So with the knowledge that this cool bit could still pop up in a Marvel movie, and that it would suck to spoil it, here’s Whedon giving the hard-edged explanation for why it’s not in Age of Ultron:

Sometimes what seems like a moment turns out to be a move. That turned out to be a move.

It’s a great gag, but I couldn’t justify it. We were building a lot of the final battle around it, and it was killing us. Even when we were shooting. We had to stutter-step everything else, and eventually in post I convinced them we need to jettison this concept. I knew I could write a conclusion for Bruce and Natasha that I thought would be much better storytelling, and would be a real moment.

This made me respect Whedon even more. The scene he cut was amazing on the page, and he had to know that - whether it read as a move or a moment - it would be huge with the audience. But he opted instead for the integrity of his storytelling, of making sure the whole worked instead of letting the whole suffer for the sake of one great scene. Kill your darlings, they say, and he did.

:( :(

Great if they use it in another film... But they should have added more Hulk since they took this out.. :(

I notice this review said the film lacked the fist pumping moments the first one had :) :)

Anyways thanks for the post Jye!

Last edited:
All I kept repeating in this movie was bad ass over and over and over.

I agree, Jye. I loved this one. I'd say that my number one is TWS, and then, Guardians, AoU, and Iron Man, are all in an ever changing 2,3, and 4 spot, depending on my mood.

Really, one scene of QS rescuing a villain like Magneto has more emotional impact for you then QS rescuing children.

Dang. :lol

If just his abilities and coolness of the scene, then yeah, DOFP.

Although what QS did in AOU was also pretty cool.

He was an awesome character though, the scene wasn't the only thing people liked about him. There's a reason people want him back for the sequel and were upset when they ditched halfway into the movie.

:( :(

Great if they use it in another film... But they should have added more Hulk since they took this out.. :(

I notice this review said the film lacked the fist pumping moments the first one had :) :)

Anyways thanks for the post Jye!

I read that and first thing that came to my mind is that this article validates one of your primary gripes.

That being said, Marvel delivered the goods for me with this movie regardless of this scene being cut.

The action on display was so far from dull for me.

Last edited:
I'm so glad the Russos are taking over. Hopefully they're not a one trick pony and can continue to delivery the quality that was Winter Soldier with Civil War and The Infinity War.

Same here, I know I've said it enough in here, but Whedon isn't as great of a writer as people give him credit for, and he's an even worse filmmaker. The Russos showed me in their one movie that they know how to properly balance a superhero movie, it's not all jokes and action with them.

I read that and first thing that came to my mind is that this article validates one of your primary gripes.

That being said, Marvel delivered the goods for me with this movie regardless of this scene being cut.

I am hoping that my second viewing on Sunday improves my enjoyment.. Now that I know that Hulk is not given much to do and with my Expectations in check I will try and just sit back and enjoy..

I am hoping that my second viewing on Sunday improves my enjoyment.. Now that I know that Hulk is not given much to do and with my Expectations in check I will try and just sit back and enjoy..

Good luck, I have no interest in sitting through this one again. I saw the first one 2 days in a row I liked it so much.

Part 2 is just wrong on too many levels for me.

Same here, I know I've said it enough in here, but Whedon isn't as great of a writer as people give him credit for, and he's an even worse filmmaker. The Russos showed me in their one movie that they know how to properly balance a superhero movie, it's not all jokes and action with them.

Impact-wise, I'd say that both Pietro's are equal, honestly. While this may count as a spoiler, I think it helps you set up your expectations. Out of the twins, Wanda gets more obvious spot-lighting and thus is the better character overall, imo.

Good luck, I have no interest in sitting through this one again. I saw the first one 2 days in a row I liked it so much.

Part 2 is just wrong on too many levels for me.

completely agree. second viewings of this for me will only show more problems, i think i will wait a little bit.
the biggest problem is that the "AWE" factor is gone, we already saw the Avengers get together and fight. Most of this movie feels like a rehash. And there are few cool parts to redeem it.

the best stuff is not even anything related to action scenes. The best stuff is more dialogue driven. It is kind of funny how if I ever rent this again i will probably fast forward to most of the action scenes. kind of ironic that so much money and time went into making those action scenes and Im just more interested in seeing everything else

Iron Man - 10/10 - PERFECT!
TIH - 8/10 - Good for sure.
Iron Man 2 - 6/10 - liked it better the second time around but still missing something.
Thor - 8/10 - Great and can always watch this one when it's on
TFA - 9/10 -Loved it, very memorable score too, loved the themes in it.
Avengers - 10/10 - perfect movie!
Iron Man 3 - 5/10 - it was ok but I liked it less the second time seeing it.
TDW - 8/10 - Thor and Loki always good.
TWS - 8/10 - Really good and loved Bucky.
GOTG - 3/10 - I wanted to walk out of it....no real drama and WAY too much forced comedy. I tried it again and still hated it.
AOU - 5/10 - It just did not work for me on many levels and not a memorable score.

Saw it last night. Kicks Ass!
I still need to finish the prelude comic :lol
Spoiler Spoiler:

Just saw the film. I liked it as much as the first film. However, the mid/after credit scene sucked this time. It was so quick and rushed...come on!

:lecture Indeed, it didn't make sense in context of the film's story at all. I thought it would have fit better at the end of GOTG honestly.

:lecture Indeed, it didn't make sense in context of the film's story at all. I thought it would have fit better at the end of GOTG honestly.

You have a point, you do need to have prior knowledge that

Spoiler Spoiler:
:lol

Right, is that what you're referring to?

Back