Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I was 9 in 1986! It was cool to me.

I remember the Disney theatrical re-releases of the classics. Kind of lost the magic once we collected them all on tape.

Fantasia was the last really big one I'd never seen until its (last?) theatrical run in 1990. It was awesome to finally see this mythical piece of Disney lore and cross it off my list.

The main thing I remember about Captain Eo was the one flying critter that seemingly flies out over the audience and all the dopes (myself included) reaching out to try and touch him, lol.

I have such awesome and epic memories of the original Star Tours ride where you get to blow up the Death Star. I wonder how that would hold up today.

I went to Disney World the one and only time in 1986...about a year or so BEFORE Star Tours. Never got to ride it.....until.....

2005 at Tokyo Disneyland! There was NO line for it. It was off in the corner of "Tomorrow World" or whatever, looking abandoned. I got to see the original 1980s version. It was....OK. Kinda cheesy and dated, but I was just happy to see it at long last. I think it's on youtube, too, now. I am glad I got to experience the original before they "updated" it.

"Tomorrow Land " area of Tokyo Disney had Air's "La femme d'argent" on a repeating loop over the speakers. Man, I love that song.

I wasn’t alive during the first “batmania” in 1989 but I heard it was huge back then .

The main thing I remember about Captain Eo was the one flying critter that seemingly flies out over the audience and all the dopes (myself included) reaching out to try and touch him, lol.

Of course! We all looked so stupid reaching our hands out at nothing! The only bit I remembered other than that was the Max Rebo looking guy throwing an empty drink can right in our faces, and MJ using the power of love to turn all the Borg guys into backup dancers.

Man. Can you believe that was written by Lucas, directed by Coppola, and starred Anjelica Huston as the Borg Queen? Big talent. Dumb "movie."

I wasn’t alive during the first “batmania” in 1989 but I heard it was huge back then .
Yep and the first big letdown I ever experienced on the big screen. With all the hype and trailers I was literally expecting a TDK/TB experience, imagine my reaction to Jack sticking his tongue out and making fart sounds as he danced around.

The summer of 89 is well-documented by all of us nerds. Batman was the biggest movie imaginable, thanks to the relentless hype of the marketing machine.

But we also got Ghostbusters II and Indy III. What a time to be alive!!

The summer of 89 is well-documented by all of us nerds. Batman was the biggest movie imaginable, thanks to the relentless hype of the marketing machine.

But we also got Ghostbusters II and Indy III. What a time to be alive!!
And The Abyss! And Roadhouse which I somehow managed to see multiple times on the big screen despite being only 15 at the time, lol.

Yep and the first big letdown I ever experienced on the big screen. With all the hype and trailers I was literally expecting a TDK/TB experience, imagine my reaction to Jack sticking his tongue out and making fart sounds as he danced around.

I was only slightly disappointed. I wanted a Batman Begins style epic, but instead we got a very weird and "dark" (for the time) movie about Jack/Joker with a little Bruce Wayne sprinkled in, and even less screen time for him in the actual Batsuit.

Still a classic though. That movie will coast on nostalgia alone until all the Gen X-ers are dead.

(Man, I got SUUUUCH a boner when I finally watched Roadhouse on late night cable and that chick does a striptease on stage.....why can't they make movies like that anymore??)

I was only slightly disappointed. I wanted a Batman Begins style epic, but instead we got a very weird and "dark" (for the time) movie about Jack/Joker with a little Bruce Wayne sprinkled in, and even less screen time for him in the actual Batsuit.

Still a classic though. That movie will coast on nostalgia alone until all the Gen X-ers are dead.
Yeah, it holds up due to being tied to really fond memories of seeing it opening night with an energetic crowd, the production design, music, etc., but even in the theater I remember being really put off by how different, weird and goofy it ended up being compared to what I was expecting.

(Man, I got SUUUUCH a boner when I finally watched Roadhouse on late night cable and that chick does a striptease on stage.....why can't they make movies like that anymore??)
Holy crap, lol. :lol

Damn that sucks. Tbh I’m not a fan of Jack joker either. I like returns more than 89. But I think I have fond memories of all the 90s Batman films. Yes even Batman and Robin holds nostalgia for me.

Damn that sucks. Tbh I’m not a fan of Jack joker either. I like returns more than 89. But I think I have fond memories of all the 90s Batman films. Yes even Batman and Robin holds nostalgia for me.
I still ended up seeing Batman three times in the theater, kind of like TPM I kept going back questioning whether it was really as disappointing as the previous viewing.

Fortunately as otomofan called out there were tons of other cool movies that came out that year including some real surprises like the first Bill and Ted and Weekend at Bernies plus Licence to Kill with that awesome 18-wheeler chase at the end, Black Rain, etc.

I still ended up seeing Batman three times in the theater, kind of like TPM I kept going back questioning whether it was really as disappointing as the previous viewing.

Fortunately as otomofan called out there were tons of other cool movies that came out that year including some real surprises like the first Bill and Ted and Weekend at Bernies plus Licence to Kill with that awesome 18-wheeler chase at the end, Black Rain, etc.
Lol I remember TPM hype. I mean a lil bit cause I was like 8 but I remember people being super excited. Now that was everywhere. Jar jar standees almost everywhere. They marketed the hell out of the double lighsaber and jar jar.

Ep 1 hype was insane. Absolutely through the roof.

Then a little sci-fi movie nobody had ever heard of quietly premiered a month earlier and blew it out of the water. Ep 1 was all hype and no substance, but The Matrix was the real deal.

Back