Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite all that money being made, I only know one person who actually went and saw this in the theater.
I don't know anyone who saw it. I never heard about this thing. Never knew it was out already. Never heard/read a word about it. As a WDW fan I was hoping these would go away so that part of Animal Kingdom could get re-themed. 🤔 😁

Last edited:
I don't know anyone who saw it. Nobody even talks about it either. It's like a ghost. I don't see how that box office is possible.

I don't know anyone who saw it. Nobody even talks about it either. It's like a ghost. I don't see how that box office is possible.
Same. It’s so weird. Like some type of money laundering scheme. Nobody talks or references it at all. Atleast the first one was talked about for months before it died down. This just came and went .

Good movies tend not to elicit a lot of continuous discussion after people see them. Typically it's just laughable disasters or controversies or polarizing films (like your average Zack Snyder flick) that keep people talking for weeks, months, or years on end.

I mean just look at the new Spiderverse movie (which I haven't seen and don't plan to anytime soon.) People seemed to generally like it but that thread has already moved on to TWS and the New York skyline, lol.

I still think it's just cause no movie has been truly innovative or original in the past decade. Even the really "good" movies are just rehashes of stuff we've seen before. And there haven't been any truly GREAT movies, not the way it was in the 70s to 90s.

Yes, we talked about those movies more in part cause there was less competition. T2 was the ONLY movie that mattered in 1991. Jurassic Park was THE movie of 1993. Those were groundbreaking movies in terms of effects. Pulp Fiction resonated for years after its release cause it changed how we see editing and dialogue and even violence in mainstream movies.

The Matrix was a game-changer. The Sixth Sense and Fight Club were game-changers, but not many people saw Fight Club in its initial run. (I did...twice!) LOTR trilogy was a game-changer.

Even the first Avatar was a game-changer at the time of release. Got buzz for several months afterwards.

Now? What is there? All those super-hero movies are exactly the same. They're either in the style of Batman 89 or X-Men 2000. Just different costumes.

There's definitely merit in what you say
I still think it's just cause no movie has been truly innovative or original in the past decade. Even the really "good" movies are just rehashes of stuff we've seen before. And there haven't been any truly GREAT movies, not the way it was in the 70s to 90s.

Yes, we talked about those movies more in part cause there was less competition. T2 was the ONLY movie that mattered in 1991. Jurassic Park was THE movie of 1993. Those were groundbreaking movies in terms of effects. Pulp Fiction resonated for years after its release cause it changed how we see editing and dialogue and even violence in mainstream movies.

The Matrix was a game-changer. The Sixth Sense and Fight Club were game-changers, but not many people saw Fight Club in its initial run. (I did...twice!) LOTR trilogy was a game-changer.

Even the first Avatar was a game-changer at the time of release. Got buzz for several months afterwards.

Now? What is there? All those super-hero movies are exactly the same. They're either in the style of Batman 89 or X-Men 2000. Just different costumes.
There's definitely merit in what you say but I disagree about there having been no "great" movies since the 90's (or let's say LOTR in the early 2000's.) Just rewatching AWOW again I was convinced that if Avatar and AWOW had come out in say 1991 and 1994 then they'd be every bit as beloved and iconic now as other classics from that era. Similarly if T2 came out today it wouldn't be nearly as well received. The Batman absolutely feels like a 90's era blockbuster and I definitely believe that if it had come out in the 90's it'd probably be more revered than even the Nolan trilogy.

It's very hard for a modern film to ever make the same type of impact as those from decades past which makes huge cultural events like IW and EG all the more impressive.

Investors only want those guaranteed franchise blockbusters. It's hard to take a chance on movies nowadays when moviegoers have to apply for a loan just to see them.

Some cultural events pass and are forgotten. Like E.T. in 1982.

Not for me. That movie promoted my lifelong addiction to these guys:

Z09Q3bd.png

Nobody can ever convince me that ET wasn’t some type of allegory for a walking talking penis creature

E.T. stayed relevant for a long time due to Spielberg's shrewd marketing strategy: he refused to release it on home video.

He had a re-release in 1985, but still no VHS tape.

All you really need to do to convince people that they NEED something is to tell them they can't have it. For a few years, E.T. had an almost mythical status cause there was no way to watch it at home.

SIX YEARS after the movie was out, he finally announced a VHS release date. October 1988. People lost their minds. Couldn't wait to watch it over and over, share with the family, etc. VHS tape broke all known sales records.

But once people owned the movie, the mystique was gone. They watched it once or twice, realized it wasn't as good as they remembered, and it became just another hit movie of the past that people like, but very few people love.

Not releasing it was the smartest thing he did. But he wanted one more sweet payday, so he gave everyone what they wanted, but it kind of killed the legacy of the movie.

I don't think that's even possible today. EVERYTHING gets out, either legally or illegally. I remember being blown away as a child in 1986, seeing Captain Eo in 3D on a big screen at Epcot. I remembered it for years..had this feeling it was this amazing timeless thing.

Now you can watch the whole thing on youtube. It's really stupid. It's Michael Jackson and some muppets.

Studios need to start holding stuff back again. Make movies a big deal again. Don't stream them a week after the world premiere. They're such dummies.

Yeah Disney did the same thing in the 70's and 80's. Never release their classics on home video and just re-release them in *theaters* every few years. That allowed every new generation to grow up with awesome theatrical memories of films that came out years or even decades before they were born. Pinnochio on the big screen was a part of my childhood for crying out loud. And Sleeping Beauty. Peter Pan, The Jungle Book, Robin Hood, etc. I even got to see Song of the South during its final theatrical release in 1982 before they buried it.

That was so awesome to be able to do that.

I remember being blown away as a child in 1986, seeing Captain Eo in 3D on a big screen at Epcot. I remembered it for years..had this feeling it was this amazing timeless thing.

Now you can watch the whole thing on youtube. It's really stupid.

Nope. It was always stupid right from the get-go.

Back