Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no way in hell people are going to rush to see the blue people featuring water when so much other stuff has taken over.
4046985_orig.gif

I found it disjointed. Good things to enjoy, but not all it was hyped up to be. House Of Gucci was even worse if we're talking Scott's recent flicks. The best part about it were Pacino and Leto hamming it up. And as far as TLD goes, it was certainly not "cell phones" that did it.
The first part felt disjointed to me, I thought the editing was weird, but as the second part progressed, and then finally into the third part, it all fell into place for me. I really think it is way up there with Scott's best. As for House of Gucci, eh, it was ok, Driver was brilliant as always, but it didn't wow me like The Last Duel.

I believe you have it in a nutshell... except for one missing detail: It's not actually Cameron's delay - its 'The Studios' delay.

They've been busy HEAVILY promoting all this MARVEL and SW (not sure if this stands for STAR WARS anymore or simply Social Warrior) TRIPE - I'm sure you've seen a lot of it...? and not until they've forcibly topped all Box Offices around the globe will they even contemplate something as original as a Cameron movie entering the fray.

I'm not a mega-fan, just an interested old-timer who reads a lot. They've been pushing that Cap/Spidey & Ms Marvel nonsense for long enough now and since absolutely nothing else of note was being released they were actually 'winning' at The Box Office... (hard to lose whne you hold all the cards) until Cameron re-releases in Asia and then rightfully wins back his crown - just sayin' - It's not the buck$ earned - it's the quality of the story and the re-watchability that wins FOR ME.

I'm not from Kansas.
Yeah well, that's exactly what I find lacking in Avatar: quality of the story and re-watchability.
But hey, I'm a fan of the Prequels, so what do I know! :lol

The first part felt disjointed to me, I thought the editing was weird, but as the second part progressed, and then finally into the third part, it all fell into place for me. I really think it is way up there with Scott's best. As for House of Gucci, eh, it was ok, Driver was brilliant as always, but it didn't wow me like The Last Duel.
Eh, I didn't care for it. I felt as if nobody was really trying enough and Scott's directing was subpar. Not to mention that framing the last version as the "true" one undermines the whole point of the flick. I watched it and forgot about it the next day. HoG was schlock, but Pacino and Leto understood that and gave us some good over the top performances. I much prefer "All The Money In The World" as far as Scott biopics about the rich go.

Eh, I didn't care for it. I felt as if nobody was really trying enough and Scott's directing was subpar. Not to mention that framing the last version as the "true" one undermines the whole point of the flick. I watched it and forgot about it the next day. HoG was schlock, but Pacino and Leto understood that and gave us some good over the top performances. I much prefer "All The Money In The World" as far as Scott biopics about the rich go.
That is actually my one nitpick in the entire movie, I thought it was unnecessary. The way the story is told from each point of view (especially part 2 and 3) makes it pretty clear how it went down.

That is actually my one nitpick in the entire movie, I thought it was unnecessary. The way the story is told from each point of view (especially part 2 and 3) makes it pretty clear how it went down.
Exactly. It was already mildling in my opinion, but then he botched the entire point of the flick with that decision, so I can't in good conscience recognise it as a good film. It wasn't a bad one mind you, from a technical standpoint and whatnot, I just didn't find anything unique or memorable in it. I like medieval knights so I will probably rewatch it at some point, but not because of its objective quality as a piece of art. I prefer that Exodus movie he did, even. At least there I felt the scale. And Egypt's so sunny he couldn't add his depressing blue filter, so there's that too...

Took the kids to see Avatar in IMAX 3D. WOW the hype is back for me. I had forgotten just how jaw dropping the 3D in this movie is.

The kids were blown away too. "I felt like we were in the movie." "I felt like I was a camera man who was really there." And this after a good portion of their lives watching multiple Marvel 3D movies a year.

And watching it from beginning to end in one sitting with thunderous audio and that sweeping score--I thought I was pretty much over this movie but no it still holds up. My son couldn't believe it came out in 2009 and said that it felt like a brand new movie that came out today.

I didn't know that it was going to have an extra scene not in any previous cut of of the film (to my knowledge) and I didn't know it was going to have a 3-4 minute clip of Avatar 2 at the end. Super satisfying night at the movies, can't wait to see the next one now.

I have no interest wasting my time watching C-level Lord of the Rings or boring ass C-level Star Wars.

Took the kids to see Avatar in IMAX 3D. WOW the hype is back for me. I had forgotten just how jaw dropping the 3D in this movie is.

The kids were blown away too. "I felt like we were in the movie." "I felt like I was a camera man who was really there." And this after a good portion of their lives watching multiple Marvel 3D movies a year.

And watching it from beginning to end in one sitting with thunderous audio and that sweeping score--I thought I was pretty much over this movie but no it still holds up. My son couldn't believe it came out in 2009 and said that it felt like a brand new movie that came out today.

I didn't know that it was going to have an extra scene not in any previous cut of of the film (to my knowledge) and I didn't know it was going to have a 3-4 minute clip of Avatar 2 at the end. Super satisfying night at the movies, can't wait to see the next one now.

I have no interest wasting my time watching C-level Lord of the Rings or boring ass C-level Star Wars.
That's good to hear. People will deny it but the hype is there. Avatar 2 will be another box office hit.

Yeah, I just got back from seeing Avatar again and I had forgotten how good it is.

There's definitely hype, but it will be interesting to see how big that hype is and how big the box office will be.

Seeing it in the theater is probably the only way I could sit through it again from start to finish. I know on television I'd never make it. The immersive 3D is THE thing.

I'm sure Avatar 2 will be just as good... again, as long as the 3D pulls you in. It's the Part 3 and 4 where I feel Pandora may reach its limits -- unless of course there's some mass exodus moment where the blue people must trek to a whole new location with all-new 3D miracles.

Knowing the title, and Cameron, A2 will be the "underwater" one, which is good for separating the movies in your head. I wonder if he'll go as far as deserts and snowy mountains for episodes 3 and 4?

Love seeing Sigourney back in the limelight. My favourite actress, a legend of moviedom.

It was so great to see her on the big screen again. Since my son is approaching 13 I introduced him to both T1 and T2 recently so with those and the Avatar re-release I'm on a bit of a Cameron high right now and am reminded why he was my favorite director for so many years.

I did my share of mocking both his insistence to make four Avatar sequels AND to delay them for so bloody long but I'm not gonna lie I'm super psyched to see what he has in store for the next one.

When they showed that clip from Avatar 2 at the end of the first one I was totally ready to just stay and watch another 2-3 hours of Pandora.

This legit made me laugh out loud.

Especially true when you just know its going to be that same Dances-With-Wolves plot all over again.

Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) - IMDb

Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) Poster

Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) Trivia​

New World Pictures was known for low-budget adventure movies. When Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) was released and set a new standard, Roger Corman realized he had to up his game. Production for this film cost $2 million, making it New World's most expensive feature at the time. Most of the budget was spent on salaries for Robert Vaughn and George Peppard. Corman approached several companies to do the special effects, but none would do it for less than $2 million. Corman then decided to create his own in-house special effects department, which would employ a young James Cameron.

James Cameron, who worked as a model maker and art director on this movie, was actually fired and re-hired twice during production. He began to notice that producer Roger Corman would always be displeased with the sets when he came to inspect and found set decorators still working on them, and started firing people; however, if Corman arrived on a half-finished set without anyone working on it, he would always like them anyway. So finally, Cameron had someone on the lookout for Corman's car, and whenever it was spotted, he would clear the set of crew members, no matter what state it was in. Corman would come in, and invariably like what he saw.

Future director James Cameron and future producer Gale Anne Hurd met on this film, which led to their future partnership (the deal being that Cameron would direct and Hurd would produce). This would lead into the making of The Terminator (1984) (which featured actor Earl Boen who played Nestor 1 in this movie), their marriage in 1985 before they did Aliens (1986) (which employed composer James Horner and miniature designer Alec Gillis), and their divorce from both marriage and creative partnership during the making of The Abyss (1989) (which reunited them with visual effects supervisors Dennis Skotak and Robert Skotak).

Working on the low-budget production meant that everyone had multiple jobs to perform. While working long days in order to finish his models and special effects on time, James Cameron often didn't bother to go home at night; he simply pulled out a prop gurney to sleep on for a few hours. One time, he was awoken in the middle of the night by associate producer Mary Ann Fisher, who informed him that the original art director had been fired. Although that person had come highly recommended, he was used to have a crew doing designs for him; not having one meant that some of the sets had not been finished or even designed yet, several weeks before shooting was going to start. Fisher asked Cameron if he was interested in the job; he had no precise idea what it entailed, but answered "Sure", and immediately fell asleep again. He was offered a salary hike from $200 to $300 per week, but successfully negotiated for $750, since that was what the original art director had been promised, and time was running out.

Future director James Cameron started his career in filmmaking with this movie when special effects supervisor Chuck Comisky brought him in as a model maker. Comisky had been sufficiently impressed by Cameron's student film Xenogenesis (1978), and asked him to create a design for the hero's ship. While other designers were using mainly geometric shapes, Cameron reasoned that since the ship had a female A.I. called Nell, it should have female curves and two mammary-like engines. When asked about this by producer Roger Corman, Cameron called it a "space ship with tits". Corman immediately liked it and put him in charge of the model on the spot. He later made him responsible for special miniature photography when no one on the set had experience with this (neither had Cameron, but he at least understood the theory behind it). When the movie later lost its art director shortly before production was slated to begin, Cameron was also offered that job on the spot, so he went from nothing to model maker, special effects technician and art director in mere months.

A young Bill Paxton worked on the sets as a carpenter and painter in between jobs on the recommendation of good friend, art director and future collaborator James Cameron.

The story behind James Cameron's film career would make a more interesting film than any number of Avatar sequels. I like the first Avatar, not sure if I liked it enough to want to watch 4 more of them.

I didn't like Avatar previously, however after watching it again in 3d on an LG Oled it absolutely blew my socks off! It's corny and cheesy in that Cameron way, but the direction is so tight it overcame my curmudgeonly nature and blew my tiny mind!

So yeah, bring on The Way Of Water :)

Back