Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Giant concession stand sodas+3 hour long movie about water=lots of people running to the bathroom.

You will learn the Way of Water.

I'm so curious if this will drive people back to the theater. Nothing so far has really done that other than Maverick, aside from a brief moment right after Covid madness let up where people rushed back to the theater... but it doesn't last.

I would think a spectacle movie like this would be perfect to drive ticket sales... but I fear the "habit" (and pleasure) of going to the movies is over.

You will learn the Way of Water.

I'm so curious if this will drive people back to the theater. Nothing so far has really done that other than Maverick, aside from a brief moment right after Covid madness let up where people rushed back to the theater... but it doesn't last.

I would think a spectacle movie like this would be perfect to drive ticket sales... but I fear the "habit" (and pleasure) of going to the movies is over.
No Way Home? :lol

CON: Man, this looks corny. Tons of the usual Cameron beats.

PRO: I'm sure the "Water War" will look amazing... just like the "Sky War" did.
Maybe the protagonists will stop and make out with each other underwater while the climactic battle rages around them. On second thought, that's too ridiculous to ever happen in a major theatrical release. Forget I mentioned it.

Don't see a whole lot here that has me excited. The first was a SFX glorious piece of film, but this seems more of a rehash of that.

I do agree that the "thrill" of the movie theater is in an unrepairable state of decay.

To be honest I didn't even make it all the way through the most recent trailer. Yeah yeah blue monkeys, pretty cgi etc etc.

Avatar 1 trailers were epic unfortunately not so much the movie.

This movie looks super boring and honestly the effects don’t look like they advanced any since the first.

Oh and these trailers suck lol

Last edited:
Perhaps Cameron was so absorbed plotting his Avatar Universe of 5 films and more that he overlooked the obvious: if this new one doesn't blow people away, then no one will care about the rest.

I still feel Avatar 2 will be mostly rehash of the original. Almost a restart. Same beats, just in, around or under water. The 'gag' of an avatar seems almost lost entirely.

Avatar 3 has a chance to be more interesting because Cameron will realize he has to do something drastically different in this world.

Perhaps Cameron was so absorbed plotting his Avatar Universe of 5 films and more that he overlooked the obvious: if this new one doesn't blow people away, then no one will care about the rest.

I still feel Avatar 2 will be mostly rehash of the original. Almost a restart. Same beats, just in, around or under water. The 'gag' of an avatar seems almost lost entirely.

Avatar 3 has a chance to be more interesting because Cameron will realize he has to do something drastically different in this world.

Didn’t Cameron already film most of 3?

That’s what I’m saying. He must have extreme confidence cause he really made like 5 movies . But you didn’t strike while the iron was hot. The first one was in 2009 it is now 2022 and the world changed since then. I can’t see this being a huge hit like the first. It just looks like the same movie as the last. Also what made people want to watch the first was the 3D visuals. The story was plain .

The Way of Water...

drinking-three-stooges.gif

I'll be amazed if this does really well. As a lot of people have said, the novelty has worn off. 3D was the main drawcard and the only reason it became the highest grossing film of all time. No doubt the film was good, but not amazing, and hasn't endured well. I mean, look at any con and see how many cosplayers go as Na'vi - **** all. Merchandise; **** all. There's just not the demand.

Cameron probably convinced the studio he'll be able to replicate the original success - hence the billion they gave him to make the sequels, but there just doesn't seem to be a huge amount of buzz going on about their return.

Saying that, Maverick just made 1.5B, and no one expected that. But that is VERY much a reaction of the times - people are soooooooo sick of the standard Hollyweird **** at the moment, that having a film just be entertaining from beginning to end without any agenda **** thrown in there, has been like an oasis in a desert.

Back in the day they spent nearly 300M on P&A for Avatar 1 to absolutely saturate the market awareness. If they do that again, each movie is going to owe them about 500M, and if so, they need about 1.5B to break even.

I don't know... that's a big ask. I reckon, they'll be lucky to break the 1B mark - and that might be on 2 & 3, but unless the story is mind blowing, I think the audience will dissipate quickly.

Who knows??

I'll be amazed if this does really well. As a lot of people have said, the novelty has worn off. 3D was the main drawcard and the only reason it became the highest grossing film of all time. No doubt the film was good, but not amazing, and hasn't endured well. I mean, look at any con and see how many cosplayers go as Na'vi - **** all. Merchandise; **** all. There's just not the demand.

Cameron probably convinced the studio he'll be able to replicate the original success - hence the billion they gave him to make the sequels, but there just doesn't seem to be a huge amount of buzz going on about their return.

Saying that, Maverick just made 1.5B, and no one expected that. But that is VERY much a reaction of the times - people are soooooooo sick of the standard Hollyweird **** at the moment, that having a film just be entertaining from beginning to end without any agenda **** thrown in there, has been like an oasis in a desert.

Back in the day they spent nearly 300M on P&A for Avatar 1 to absolutely saturate the market awareness. If they do that again, each movie is going to owe them about 500M, and if so, they need about 1.5B to break even.

I don't know... that's a big ask. I reckon, they'll be lucky to break the 1B mark - and that might be on 2 & 3, but unless the story is mind blowing, I think the audience will dissipate quickly.

Who knows??
Great post.

Hope not...

But what exactly keeps him from reshooting? He loves reshooting.

There was an article by cinemablend last year in which I believe he stated he had filmed most of 3 already. I’m sure they’ll do reshoots as with every movie but I doubt it’ll be anything that changes the story drastically.

Back