Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay! Glad to get an update on this one. I cannot wait to see final product photos of this guy.

Well done Asmus on that box as well. It looks super slick and very premium like. Very classy.

Seriously, I've been thinking lately after reading another thread where people were complaining about Hot Toys and I think Asmus has potential to become stronger competition for HT. I do love Hot Toys and they put out wonderful pieces, but their prices continue to creep up and they have been less innovative in recent years (without branching out much beyond Marvel and Star Wars no less). I think Hot Toys knows they can cut more corners now or just push whatever out and most collector will just lap it up for whatever price they ask.

Asmus is proving that they will go to extra mile to update customers on the production process. Their prices are very reasonable and some of the best in the 1/6 market for value all things considered, they are trying new things like somewhat mass producing a rooted beard, and they are still maintaining a premium feel even in regards to packaging which Hot Toys doesn't do quite as much these days (remember all the foam trays vs shoe box style of HT today). There are a lot of 1/6 companies out there putting out nice figures but none of them are quite as big as Hot Toys is, and I would love to see Asmus get more attention and gain more licenses to have a heavier presence in the 1/6 market. It would be great for Hot Toys, Asmus, and the consumer. Anybody else agree?

Is there an update on the separate head yet? I?m starting to lose hope and I?m going to be heartbroken if they end up not following g up on this because I skipped on crown Gandalf in favor of upgrading my v.1.

Is there an update on the separate head yet? I?m starting to lose hope and I?m going to be heartbroken if they end up not following g up on this because I skipped on crown Gandalf in favor of upgrading my v.1.

I’m pretty sure he confirmed that there would be extra heads to purchase but they will be for sale not a give away that we were told would happen years back.

I'm in the same boat, hoping to hear something about purchasing a head soon.

I believe they've said a few times that the separate head will go up for sale some time after they've shipped the full figures. Not sure how long after, though.

I’m pretty sure he confirmed that there would be extra heads to purchase but they will be for sale not a give away that we were told would happen years back.

I don’t think they ever promised a giveaway head for Gandalf the Grey; the promised free replacement was for the earlier Gandalf the White figure that suffered from an elongated head.

Yay! Glad to get an update on this one. I cannot wait to see final product photos of this guy.

Well done Asmus on that box as well. It looks super slick and very premium like. Very classy.

Seriously, I've been thinking lately after reading another thread where people were complaining about Hot Toys and I think Asmus has potential to become stronger competition for HT. I do love Hot Toys and they put out wonderful pieces, but their prices continue to creep up and they have been less innovative in recent years (without branching out much beyond Marvel and Star Wars no less). I think Hot Toys knows they can cut more corners now or just push whatever out and most collector will just lap it up for whatever price they ask.

Asmus is proving that they will go to extra mile to update customers on the production process. Their prices are very reasonable and some of the best in the 1/6 market for value all things considered, they are trying new things like somewhat mass producing a rooted beard, and they are still maintaining a premium feel even in regards to packaging which Hot Toys doesn't do quite as much these days (remember all the foam trays vs shoe box style of HT today). There are a lot of 1/6 companies out there putting out nice figures but none of them are quite as big as Hot Toys is, and I would love to see Asmus get more attention and gain more licenses to have a heavier presence in the 1/6 market. It would be great for Hot Toys, Asmus, and the consumer. Anybody else agree?

:exactly::goodpost:

Totally agree.
I've sold a few Hot toys figures off and delved into this line.
I LOVE Star Wars.
I like LOTR.
I also love the customer interaction and videos Asmus is doing.
That is enough for me to get in on this line.
The little extras Asmus do,the actual listening to feedback...all great reasons for me to support them.

Sorry, should have elaborated my post. There has been some recent back and forth in the community that they might forego the Gandalf head. All of this is spectated and simply a discussion and nothing has been stated by Asmus...... however, the fact that nothing has been stated by Asmus is what's concerning. I just hope this doesn't get lost in the same way that other updates that Asmus has brought up in the past have (Please don't take that as me speaking ill on the company. I still hold strong that Asmus is the best in 1/6 when it comes to listening to the community and knocking it out of the park).

Also, yeah, I wasn't planning on a freebie. Would happily pay to upgrade my Gandalf, hell, I would even send the old head as a "core charge".

From earlier in this thread:

Please don't worry,
we will prepare at this a few hundreds heads for purchase.
it will happen, can't tell you how long, but likely to be early next year.

At the moment the plan is to have the headsculpt up for order, around the same time when the complete crown Gandalf package is in stock.
So it will have to be early next year.

So I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan. My three favorite fandoms/fictional universes are Tolkien, Star Wars and Assassin's Creed (the old ones anyway). The entire reason I got into sixth scale collecting and later joined this board was the Asmus LOTR line, once I learned it was a thing. To date, I have about 50 sixth scale figures, but 0 Asmus figures. I love the accessories and tailoring, but the head sculpt likeness and paint application just hasn't been there on any of their figures, which is a turn off to me. I'd rather have a spot on likeness and no extra accessories, as opposed to the other way around.

But this figure...it just looks incredible. I've been on the fence about ordering for so long. I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger. Everything about this Gandalf just looks perfect and I hope Asmus delivers what we see in the prototype. I hope they continue with the Crown Line if so, because I would be happy to spend the extra money for this quality of a figure, if the final product does indeed look this good.

In my opinion the top three sixth scale companies are Hot Toys, Damtoys and LIM Toys, but Asmus has so much potential as a company to be in that top three. I really hope they nail this figure and there's an Aragorn and Legolas not far behind it.

Does anybody have the height of the original release with the hat on? I'm assuming the CS version will be the same. Just trying to figure out if it will fit into this display case I am looking at getting.

Does anybody have the height of the original release with the hat on? I'm assuming the CS version will be the same. Just trying to figure out if it will fit into this display case I am looking at getting.

On the original base my GG stands approximately 33cm but I suspect you will need more height if using the diorama base the new one comes with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the original base my GG stands approximately 33cm but I suspect you will need more height if using the diorama base the new one comes with

Thanks for the response. Hmmm I am not sure what to do. For this specific figure I was eyeing one of the 1/6 Legend Studios display cases but I fear it will be just a tad too small: https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/lighted-display-case-legend-studio-902152

If anybody has this case or any alternative recommendations let me know. I tried browsing the forum for it already but only found old old threads.

Thanks for the response. Hmmm I am not sure what to do. For this specific figure I was eyeing one of the 1/6 Legend Studios display cases but I fear it will be just a tad too small: https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/lighted-display-case-legend-studio-902152

If anybody has this case or any alternative recommendations let me know. I tried browsing the forum for it already but only found old old threads.

Why not go with the extra large version just in case?

https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/lighted-display-case-legend-studio-902154

Why not go with the extra large version just in case?

https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/lighted-display-case-legend-studio-902154

I was thinking about it but the amount of excess space above would drive me crazy I think haha. Though it will be going on top of my detolf... I'm undecided.

There is also the rotating one. I don't care for the rotation aspect but height wise it's just a bit taller than the regular 1/6 which may be perfect.

I was thinking about it but the amount of excess space above would drive me crazy I think haha. Though it will be going on top of my detolf... I'm undecided.

There is also the rotating one. I don't care for the rotation aspect but height wise it's just a bit taller than the regular 1/6 which may be perfect.

Ah yeah, I?ve just seen that one too. Price is the same and not much more than the regular? I?d go for the rotating one... hoping he?s so good that you?ll want to show off every angle! I might even go for one myself now!

Back