Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, I feel like this is a figure that flew under many collectors radars, and if it turns out as good or close to the prototype pictures, it is going to be incredibly sought after upon release. It has a relatively low production number and is of a popular but also classic character from one of the most beloved movie series ever. Also something a bit different than your Star Wars/Marvel/DC trifecta. Plus all the preorders are sold out basically everywhere, which you don't see too often.

I'm calling it now, when this thing releases and the general collecting community becomes more aware of it (and Asmus in general), you are going to get plenty of people asking where to get one or how they missed out on it. But when that point comes I think most of them will be gone.

This is all assuming Asmus really pulls it off (though I think they will from everything we've seen!).

Honestly, I feel like this is a figure that flew under many collectors radars, and if it turns out as good or close to the prototype pictures, it is going to be incredibly sought after upon release. It has a relatively low production number and is of a popular but also classic character from one of the most beloved movie series ever. Also something a bit different than your Star Wars/Marvel/DC trifecta. Plus all the preorders are sold out basically everywhere, which you don't see too often.

I'm calling it now, when this thing releases and the general collecting community becomes more aware of it (and Asmus in general), you are going to get plenty of people asking where to get one or how they missed out on it. But when that point comes I think most of them will be gone.

This is all assuming Asmus really pulls it off (though I think they will from everything we've seen!).
This is my thoughts as well. All those people that laughed at Asmus before will be crying because they missed out.

Everything is shaping up to that "Crown" title. Just praying they get the eyes right and it doesn't become a mess with those.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah when I saw this was going to be rereleased I jumped on it over the summer I thankfully got an order in with TW orig had bbts but TW had no tax and free shipping so no brainer. After I secured him I got Aragorn so I am a happy camper.

Glad I preordered this from Asmus site. This was indeed my most wanted figure and I'm glad it's Lord of the rings version over it being like the first which included LOTR and Hobbit gear. Soon we will be getting Crown Gandalf the White also.

This is my thoughts as well. All those people that laughed at Asmus before will be crying because they missed out.

Everything is shaping up to that "Crown" title. Just praying they get the eyes right and it doesn't become a mess with those.

This is my biggest concern too. Moveable eyes seems but unnecessary and risky. I know Hot Toys has done it with success before, but I just feel there's a lot that can go wrong with it and I'm hopeful Asmus will pull it off. Especially for something under the "Crown" name and subsequent price on the figure.

I agree with you too, I think a lot of people are going to regret not getting this. I preordered one at BBTS when Asmus' website sold out of preorders. Although I had previously stayed away from Asmus due to likeness issues, I wanted to give them a shot since they are taking such a big stab at perfection with this Gandalf. Hopefully it's a huge success and they can do a Black Gate Aragorn as an encore or something.

If they nail this, it's going to big a game changer for Asmus as a company, LOTR collectors as a whole, and maybe even the sixth scale game, as someone might finally put some pressure on Hot Toys. Asmus has been on that doorstep, they just need the likeness and paint apps to get better, which we're seeing anyway with the recent Elrond, Theoden and Eomer releases. They're getting close.

Annoying- because they can bump things all they want, but heaven forbid you need to postpone a payment a few times

Lol.
I’m not a Sideshow apologist by any means (haven’t ordered anything from them in 5+ years), but I’m a bit confused by this remark. You’d rather they charged you now for an item that’s delayed because Asmus won’t have it ready ? I guess Sideshow should’ve charged last spring when it was originally due? :huh

Lol.
I’m not a Sideshow apologist by any means (haven’t ordered anything from them in 5+ years), but I’m a bit confused by this remark. You’d rather they charged you now for an item that’s delayed because Asmus won’t have it ready ? I guess Sideshow should’ve charged last spring when it was originally due? :huh

I think it's that Sideshow only lets you delay a payment on any given item one time, far as I know. Which I guess is reasonable but given tough times at the moment maybe letting that happen 2X would be nice.

Everyone is struggling these days - well, a lot of folks are, businesses too. I'm more irate with SSC changing its RP policy, which only benefits them.

I know I've said this multiple times before on this forum, but I'll continue saying it ... no one should be ordering direct from Sideshow.

Their store policies are unacceptable. Between overcharging for shipping, their inability to offer shipping costs on pre-orders, and their wishy-washy customer service policies ("all of them are like that, we can offer you a refund, but not a replacement").

If you think FlexPay is a benefit, I'd argue that if you can't afford an item outright you shouldn't be 'financing' it in the first place. This isn't a car or a house that you need to pay off over time, this is a $200 action figure, it doesn't need financing.

And Rewards Points ... well, they're not just giving you free stuff. You're paying more in shipping and in actual figure costs to pay for all of that. I can shop elsewhere and with pre-order discounts of 5-10% and paying actual shipping costs, after 10 figures, I'd probably have saved enough money to get a 'free' one as well.

I know I've said this multiple times before on this forum, but I'll continue saying it ... no one should be ordering direct from Sideshow.

Their store policies are unacceptable. Between overcharging for shipping, their inability to offer shipping costs on pre-orders, and their wishy-washy customer service policies ("all of them are like that, we can offer you a refund, but not a replacement").

If you think FlexPay is a benefit, I'd argue that if you can't afford an item outright you shouldn't be 'financing' it in the first place. This isn't a car or a house that you need to pay off over time, this is a $200 action figure, it doesn't need financing.

And Rewards Points ... well, they're not just giving you free stuff. You're paying more in shipping and in actual figure costs to pay for all of that. I can shop elsewhere and with pre-order discounts of 5-10% and paying actual shipping costs, after 10 figures, I'd probably have saved enough money to get a 'free' one as well.

I haven't had an issue with SSC per se. They are pleasant when I have contacted them directly; the tracking is efficient; and I like buying in my own country as it is easier to deal with a problem - LOL a U.S. company can't run away (well, most of the time). I've been willing to pay more to not have issues and flexibility.

And the financing IMO definitely IS an advantage. Am sure collectors run the gamut from folks with dedicated rooms and custom shelving to a teenager with their first minimum wage job. I personally can't just fire off a 200$ or 500$ check without thinking about it. I wish I could for the Elven warriors, but I can't. Plus, of course, financing in theory lets you get more figures.

But, IMO, SSC is not helping themselves by changing their RP system - as pointed out - they don't give breaks on shipping, for one thing. I get coupons and most of the time that's all it does, is cover the shipping.

i see alot of fans having the glimmer of hope that Asmus will release the head separately to owners of the prior Gandalf.

Don't really see that happening. Asmus does communicate well and does seem genuinely a company that tries their best to please the fan base. This i really respect and applaud. However, it doesn't make financial sense. If they previously sold 5000 units, they'd at least have to make 3500 more, The profit wouldn't be massive, as probably the cost of the head after markup is probably close to the price of the original figure.

Fingers crossed this will be amazing. Confident we will see it shipped out and in hand before March.

They should offer a discount instead. Might be a better way to go. It won't be perfect, but HT offers nothing and ppl still rush in to buy multiples.

Sideshow has problems, but speaking for myself as a UK collector - here is why I use them.
1. The dollar/pound-sterling ratio is usually strong enough that it is much cheaper to buy from an American company (if I can't buy from Hong Kong or Taiwan) than a British one - which usually just list a $200 item as ?200 + mark up, which sometimes means paying the equivalent of double for a collectible compared to an American collector.
2. Flex-pay - you may not consider this a benefit, but I absolutely do - There is no way I could have 80% of my collectibles without it, and seeing as there is no interest or charge for the service that is a huge draw for me.
3. Rewards points - I know a lot of places have them, and some better, but this really does help - and I've been collecting them for some time.
4. Good customer service, I have never had a problem with them and they have always been willing to oblige me if I want to pay off chunks of payment plans earlier, can delay the payment a month, switch to single payment, have concerns, want NRD's back for delayed items I've cancelled etc.

The shipping is a massive pain though, plus they never feel inclined to list things in a way to help you out at customs like other companies, plus their reward policy changing is a massive let down.
But all that said, I do think Sideshow still have some decent draws to them as a retailer.

Sideshow has problems, but speaking for myself as a UK collector - here is why I use them.
1. The dollar/pound-sterling ratio is usually strong enough that it is much cheaper to buy from an American company (if I can't buy from Hong Kong or Taiwan) than a British one - which usually just list a $200 item as ?200 + mark up, which sometimes means paying the equivalent of double for a collectible compared to an American collector.
2. Flex-pay - you may not consider this a benefit, but I absolutely do - There is no way I could have 80% of my collectibles without it, and seeing as there is no interest or charge for the service that is a huge draw for me.
3. Rewards points - I know a lot of places have them, and some better, but this really does help - and I've been collecting them for some time.
4. Good customer service, I have never had a problem with them and they have always been willing to oblige me if I want to pay off chunks of payment plans earlier, can delay the payment a month, switch to single payment, have concerns, want NRD's back for delayed items I've cancelled etc.

The shipping is a massive pain though, plus they never feel inclined to list things in a way to help you out at customs like other companies, plus their reward policy changing is a massive let down.
But all that said, I do think Sideshow still have some decent draws to them as a retailer.

As a fellow U.K. collector, I’ve never actually bought direct from Sideshow and the only figures I would consider are the exclusives of their own figures like the new X-Men line but only if the exclusive is intriguing enough.

It truly sucks how the $250 price tag somehow become ?250 for us which works out at about $100 extra off the bat but, after you’ve factored in the postage and inescapable customs and handling fees that would come with buying from Sideshow, it pretty much works out as even so I get my regular Sideshow Collectibles from U.K. based stores that also allow for layaway payment plans where you pay whatever you want whenever leasing up to a release. The reward points seem like the only real incentive to me- plus getting figures way earlier.

i see alot of fans having the glimmer of hope that Asmus will release the head separately to owners of the prior Gandalf.

Don't really see that happening.

They confirmed multiple times in different threads, that they are doing it, why come back to the question? What was not voiced is the price. This may hold some people from buying it, but wait and see.

They confirmed multiple times in different threads, that they are doing it, why come back to the question? What was not voiced is the price. This may hold some people from buying it, but wait and see.
They do keep saying it, but here's the thing.

They also said their would be a replacement Gandalf the White head.

They also said people that got a shoddy paint job on the Slim Frodo would get a replacement head or one was going to be offered.

Both of which, as far as I remember hasn't happened yet.

If they do end up offering this one separately, I can only imagine it'll be EXTREMELY limited, and may end up costing almost the cost of the figure itself as hand haired liked this is not cheap.

They do keep saying it, but here's the thing.

They also said their would be a replacement Gandalf the White head.
Yes, but that was when they produced GtG. I do not think they will provide free head at where we are now. May be a discount on GtW DX head. I am fine with it. I think GtW figure needs general update. I own one, and I can tell that just changing the sculpt will not help. They also got the vest wrong. So, it would be proper to suggest some discount for people like me, but expecting a DX head for free. And that is the only GtW head they are going to produce, is unrealistic.

They also said people that got a shoddy paint job on the Slim Frodo would get a replacement head or one was going to be offered.

Both of which, as far as I remember hasn't happened yet.
They confirmed that they will produce them during the December figure production run. So, I hope they will give us an update, like now. :)
But there was communication about it, an they confirmed they will do it.

If they do end up offering this one separately, I can only imagine it'll be EXTREMELY limited, and may end up costing almost the cost of the figure itself as hand haired liked this is not cheap.
It is going to be not cheap. But that is something that was told right from the beginning.

There are two let downs that they made early. They ignored GtW head promise, and they never finished or provided additional pack options for Build an Orc guys. These should have been addressed somehow.

Adding, I never got my replacement Nazgul bodies that were promised to swap out with the floppy originals (and I own 5 of the Nazgul & steed sets).

Back