Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do in fact! They have access to any mentions of the Second Age throughout the legendarium such as Unfinished Tales Of Galadriel and Celeborn and sections of the Silmarillion like the Akallabeth.

Oh wow. Well that’s new to me. I really hope they do it justice.

Hi all, just a quick questions for people with experiences of this...

I have pre-ordered Crown GtG from BigBadToyStore in the US and will have it shipped to the UK. I recently did this with Eowyn from United Arab Emirates and was hit with a ?50 import tax request. I paid it as I feel I got her quite cheap anyway.

I wanted to know if this will be the case with receiving items from BigBadToyStore?

I have pre-ordered Crown GtG from BigBadToyStore in the US and will have it shipped to the UK. I recently did this with Eowyn from United Arab Emirates and was hit with a ?50 import tax request. I paid it as I feel I got her quite cheap anyway.

I wanted to know if this will be the case with receiving items from BigBadToyStore?

Probably, as they will no doubt put its value on the shipping documents.

Many years ago I bought 2 different 1/6 figures from BBTS, I payed a lot of taxes to Greek customs,
so I never bought from them again.
The same goes for Cotswold Collectibles, only Monkey Depot helped me avoid customs.
To avoid customs it's best to either shop from Europe, or from certain retailers in HK/China like OSK or KG.

Many years ago I bought 2 different 1/6 figures from BBTS, I payed a lot of taxes to Greek customs,
so I never bought from them again.
The same goes for Cotswold Collectibles, only Monkey Depot helped me avoid customs.
To avoid customs it's best to either shop from Europe, or from certain retailers in HK/China like OSK or KG.

Ah that?s not what I wanted to hear [emoji28]. Do you still get hit with the import charges if you buy direct from Asmus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't want to get stung by customs and other taxes definitely avoid BBTS and Sideshow. Generally I have no problems with HK, Taiwan and China retailers.

I’m going to respond assuming you’re new to 1/6 collecting so, as a fellow Brit, I’d have to advise against using BBTS or buying anything from US or non EU based stores with the exception of Hong Kong.
Prices will not be great to start with and then you’ll have postage and absolutely guaranteed massive customs charges. I’ve also had bad luck buying directly from Asmus in the past regarding customs fees but they’re getting so carried away with all the deluxe or exclusive items that you either have to just suck up the extra risk of charges or accept missing out and having an inferior collection.
KGHobby have never let me down for official products and third party figures and somehow they manage to sneak gigantic packages straight through customs unchecked so they're my top recommendation. At this point BBTS might actually be your best option because all other prices are through the roof but I’d really only ever use them as a last resort in future.

I?m going to respond assuming you?re new to 1/6 collecting so, as a fellow Brit, I?d have to advise against using BBTS or buying anything from US or non EU based stores with the exception of Hong Kong.
Prices will not be great to start with and then you?ll have postage and absolutely guaranteed massive customs charges. I?ve also had bad luck buying directly from Asmus in the past regarding customs fees but they?re getting so carried away with all the deluxe or exclusive items that you either have to just suck up the extra risk of charges or accept missing out and having an inferior collection.
KGHobby have never let me down for official products and third party figures and somehow they manage to sneak gigantic packages straight through customs unchecked so they're my top recommendation. At this point BBTS might actually be your best option because all other prices are through the roof but I?d really only ever use them as a last resort in future.

How did you guess haha. Yeah, probably 2 months I?ve been obsessed with them!
The problem was; the Crown GtG was the one that got me so interested and BBTS was the only place I could find pre-orders still available once I had joined the bandwagon. It is actually cheaper than Asmus, but then I?m guessing the shipping costs are stupid?
Either way, I want that figure and have budgeted now for the additional. After that, I hope to be on the ball with any future pre-orders and will continue to buy second hand in the UK where possible. Thanks for your help pal!

They?ve been a bit quiet with this one lately. I?m kinda ok with him shipping after Christmas, but an updated ETA would be really appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The quiet can't be a great sign. I ordered from BBTS so I have already accepted that it will surely be next year. I want it to look as good as possible, but damn this thing has sure been delayed a long time.

I emailed Asmus Oct. 15th about my order status (directly from Asmus) and this was the response:

Product: Crown Series - Gandalf the Grey (CRW001)

The product is in the production stage.
We will release the first 500 pcs in December 2020.
An e-mail notification will be sent to you once the product is ready.
Thank you for your patience.

Will the first 500 orders be directly from Asmus? No idea.

I mean, mind you this was 3 weeks ago. Maybe they have ramped it up for all we know.

That's exciting to hear! I am hoping BBTS gets some of those but I guess we will wait and see.

The quiet can't be a great sign. I ordered from BBTS so I have already accepted that it will surely be next year. I want it to look as good as possible, but damn this thing has sure been delayed a long time.

Guessing again it may not be ASMUS but shipping which is a mess around the globe. IMO holidays are terrible time to have stuff shipping.

1a07641691f04c24a6591005a1a139d7.jpg

11bf7264f5944e09b734184dbbe9c4ca.jpg

414ee803eb8ff66dc893027ab03b8e72.jpg

Back