Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see complaints on some figures but I don’t get some of the negativity on this one. The hat, base, or lack of hole in staff sure. But the figure itself is great.
Well, the eyes in certain lights - being set too deep - can throw folks. But overall, IMO an awesome Gandalf. I wouldn't mind owning a second - or, I hope ASMUS will follow through on the head sculpt release so I can upgrade my V1.

I have had this for over 6 months but I just got around to opening mine last night and I am quite impressed. The hat will always stay off his head as the hair looks just too good. I was surprised at how much the hair/beard did NOT need futzing. The base was indeed hard to assemble and in the end, I decided it's presence took away from the detail of the figure. Excellent shelf presence

I have had this for over 6 months but I just got around to opening mine last night and I am quite impressed. The hat will always stay off his head as the hair looks just too good. I was surprised at how much the hair/beard did NOT need futzing. The base was indeed hard to assemble and in the end, I decided it's presence took away from the detail of the figure. Excellent shelf presence
Agree and don't use the fence with Gandalf - tho I'd like another stand for my young Bilbo. The mailbox thing is weird but fixable.

Ordered the Crown Gandalf from Asmus the other day. Decided that even though I'll be getting an InArt version of Gandalf, I couldn't pass on Asmus's version.

I gotta say Asmus's shipping is fantastic. I've recently ordered a Frodo, and now Gandalf, and both arrived at my house from Taiwan in 2 days. Pretty dang impressive.

Will be unboxing Gandalf this afternoon. Can't wait to see him. I'll try to post some pics of the pair in the near future.
where did you order from? I pre-ordered over a year ago and still haven't received any updates, tried contacting them, never got any replies.

where did you order from? I pre-ordered over a year ago and still haven't received any updates, tried contacting them, never got any replies.

Oh jeez! I ordered direct from Asmus' website. I believe there are still some vendors that haven't received their final orders (bulk shipments are way behind, no matter what industry you work in), but if you ordered direct through Asmus it sounds like something fell through the cracks. They show Gandalf in stock on their website, and I got mine 2 days after ordering.

So I got my new version in today and I'm actually mega impressed with how much better it is.

The sculpt is haired better along with the tash.

The hat has been modded by asmus in their new batches.
20220421_101635.jpg
20220421_102000.jpg

Are you selling stands for LOTR figures now? If so which ones?

Yeah, I’ve been making those for about 5 years now I think. Mostly the grass and rock style but occasionally a stone floor or snow. I’d like to make a larger rock style for Gandalf at some point.

Did you trim the beard or just wax it in those pics? Looks fantastic.

Thanks, I thought so too! No trimming at all, this was straight out of the box after some styling with a bit of water and that polish (then allowed to dry).

I should mention mine was a recent purchase directly through Asmus, and it sounds like they've made some slight improvements over time. The hat came with the inner liner unstitched, so I was able to pull it right out and remove some of the foam and/or modify the fit if I want. Pretty handy.

Thanks, I thought so too! No trimming at all, this was straight out of the box after some styling with a bit of water and that polish (then allowed to dry).

I should mention mine was a recent purchase directly through Asmus, and it sounds like they've made some slight improvements over time. The hat came with the inner liner unstitched, so I was able to pull it right out and remove some of the foam and/or modify the fit if I want. Pretty handy.
Was the head sculpt on the left side of the box and body to the right?

Trying a bit of “product” in Gandalf’s hair. Still a WIP, but liking the results. Not feeling any urge to replace him with IA, although their recent proto pics look very nice.

Attachments

• 0B5F4CC1-877D-4BD1-B27D-1AC155612C6B.jpeg
    0B5F4CC1-877D-4BD1-B27D-1AC155612C6B.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 82
  • FA9AE30E-B439-475E-9EAA-9EFB953FFCE3.jpeg
    FA9AE30E-B439-475E-9EAA-9EFB953FFCE3.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 13532FCD-B944-4A56-AC05-8D9E69D7A7A4.jpeg
    13532FCD-B944-4A56-AC05-8D9E69D7A7A4.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 852EC8AA-A0EE-4835-916C-5369DCD54AF0.jpeg
    852EC8AA-A0EE-4835-916C-5369DCD54AF0.jpeg