Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a new base for Gandalf (from an aquarium store) and tried a new pose today.
I haven't done anything to Gandalf yet other than minor futzing and using the V1 hat (with some tin foil inside to shape it). I'm still planning on weathering him up and maybe wiring up the inner robes, but he's already looking great as is I think.
I'm very curious what the Queen Studios version will look like, but he really needs to blow me away in order to convince me that I need to upgrade.

IMG_8518_2_small.jpg

IMG_8525_2_small.jpg

I got a new base for Gandalf (from an aquarium store) and tried a new pose today.
I haven't done anything to Gandalf yet other than minor futzing and using the V1 hat (with some tin foil inside to shape it). I'm still planning on weathering him up and maybe wiring up the inner robes, but he's already looking great as is I think.
I'm very curious what the Queen Studios version will look like, but he really needs to blow me away in order to convince me that I need to upgrade.

View attachment 567154
View attachment 567155
They should have reused that V1 hat on the new figure...it looks great there. Nice base too!

By the time the heads get released everyone would have lost interested and moved onto InArt Gandalf :lol

Well, no. For one thing I desperately need the head for my V1 Gandalf.

And having read this entire thread, pros and cons, finally took the time to futz with my Crown Gandalf. Overall, tho the hair is a delicate thing, this is a beautiful Gandalf, and I wouldn't mind owning a second one; except I have the fully loaded V1.

As for the hair thing, after spraying the head with a lot of water and picking away with a bamboo skewer (I prefer "picking" to actual brushing for Thorin and Gandalf) IMO this Tibetan lambs give a great effect. However the movies are, I wanted piecey, a bit greasy, waves and curls; for me it's always about the journey when characters get grungy - depending on the character. (A forum member once pointed out to me that even human hair is off scale on a 1/6 fig; you need very fine fiber to be scale accurate. Human hair is too thick. Once the hair got sprayed a lot and pieced out, I was pretty happy. It's delicate work tho.)

Since this head isn't gonna wear the hat, IMO the hat itself is beautiful, love the fabric. Also love the cloak; with spattered weathering and ASMUS never skimps on materials. I love a full cloak.
The rest of the costume has the usual attention to detail - I quite like the staffs, even tho, yes, I will need to dremel the holes. My pipe was in a small box with the eye tool (my Gandalf is from SSC. So assume I got a later batch release). I also like the moss used on the base - I haven't messed with the gate and mailbox yet; but sure if there are problems some E6000 epoxy will take care of it. I will probably give the base to young Bilbo and use a Phicen base for Gandalf. Luv the boots.:love:

I've got a few nits, probably the same as most; while it's a beautiful expressive sculpt and I want another, the movable eyes I don't think were successful and nothing I needed; and the apparent differences in hair and beard length make me uneasy. Production should stay consistent. I don't think the staff holes are big deal, but it's sloppy to miss something like that. That hat thing - I don't get, tho it's fixable.:frank

Overall it's obvious ASMUS worked hard on this release, and with some futzing it's a beautiful Gandalf. I do hope they offer the heads. Will I invest in another Gandalf? Dunno, if I already have one I am happy with who also has a great, un-skimped costume. There's other figures to spend on. On the shelf from a foot away, this looks like something really perfect and uber high end. Not sure I'd spend more for essentially a duplicate. I just want the replacement sculpt.

ASMUS_crown_Gandlalf1.jpg

ASMUS_crown_Gandlalf2.jpg

ASMUS_crown_Gandlalf3.jpg

Last edited:
For a "Crown" naming, they failed for sure. Boasting titles such as ultimate, ultra, hyperreal, crown, diamond and the like means you really need to strive to deliver the quality that most people associate with those words. The eyes, the hat, the color of the hear and beard, the gloved sleeves, the book that does not open. Basically everything the prod defers from the proto. Still I too find it a beautiful figure once you futz with it. And personally, I will not be getting the QS Gandalf as I am satisfied with the Asmus one. But the rest of their releases are not to my liking excluding Gimli, which is hard to get now. Frodo's eyes are inaccurate, Bilbo (old) looks good but the expression they chose I do not find fitting for him, too stern. I may still pick him up to put next to GtG so both can smoke a pipe together.

For a "Crown" naming, they failed for sure. Boasting titles such as ultimate, ultra, hyperreal, crown, diamond and the like means you really need to strive to deliver the quality that most people associate with those words. The eyes, the hat, the color of the hear and beard, the gloved sleeves, the book that does not open. Basically everything the prod defers from the proto. Still I too find it a beautiful figure once you futz with it. And personally, I will not be getting the QS Gandalf as I am satisfied with the Asmus one. But the rest of their releases are not to my liking excluding Gimli, which is hard to get now. Frodo's eyes are inaccurate, Bilbo (old) looks good but the expression they chose I do not find fitting for him, too stern. I may still pick him up to put next to GtG so both can smoke a pipe together.
I get that. For one thing, I probably ought to be able to set up the mailbox without rigging with putty. :lol

But then, you get a mailbox that opens and a rather clever dual stand. A diecast sword. Two beautiful staffs. He does look amazing on the shelf. A shame about the book, EVERYONE was gonna go look for that last page of Ori's words, and I actually think it's there, but I wasn't gonna force the book open to really find out. :horror

Still luv ASMUS. Will luv them even more if they deliver on some DWARVES and Thranduil.:monkey3 And the separate Gandalf head. Be nice if they threw in a hat upgrade. :monkey3

ASMUS_gandalf_f.jpg

I get that. For one thing, I probably ought to be able to set up the mailbox without rigging with putty. :lol

But then, you get a mailbox that opens and a rather clever dual stand. A diecast sword. Two beautiful staffs. He does look amazing on the shelf. A shame about the book, EVERYONE was gonna go look for that last page of Ori's words, and I actually think it's there, but I wasn't gonna force the book open to really find out. :horror

Still luv ASMUS. Will luv them even more if they deliver on some DWARVES and Thranduil.:monkey3 And the separate Gandalf head. Be nice if they threw in a hat upgrade. :monkey3

View attachment 568320
This is one mystery i can solve! The book does have those last words. Pardon my finger, it was hard to keep the book open and take a pic!

Attachments

• IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 44
This is one mystery i can solve! The book does have those last words. Pardon my finger, it was hard to keep the book open and take a pic!
Oh cool! I tried and maybe heavy steaming would help, but can't get mine open without damaging it. That's a great detail from Asmus....a shame someone didn't think OPENING the book would be something fans would want. Thanx for posting!

Jee.. now I have to think of a way to crack it open. Prob will end up breaking and gluing it open :LOL:
Well with mine, it's the end pages being glued to the cover. &^%$ assembly really. I could open the cover but would have to rip the end pages. And it looks like a staple was used to hold the pages together. ASMUS should sell the book separately so folks could make an open, permanently glued version for Gandalf.

For now I just store the book. There's ASMUS accessory pack they could sell - the sculpt, another book, and an upgraded hat. I wouldn't mind having an extra pipe too.:gandalf

Back