Asmus Toys: Legolas @ The Battle of Helm's Deep

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been impressed with Asmus in the past and have openly criticised their figures, but this looks great to me aside from the hair, but I'll get over that.

Like you, Asmus disappointed me in the past. Always loved their tailoring and accessories, always hated their sculpts and paint apps. They've been getting better and better though and I finally decided to hop into the line, I don't regret it. The early Hot Toys were flawed, they learned along the way. Asmus has too.

There's still work to be done, but the recent figures have been great. I'm definitely getting this Legolas to finally have a figure of him.

If I collected The Lord of the Rings I would definitely get this one. Looks great in my opinion, but I have no other characters to go with him.

Just ordered.
This means no Crown version of Legolas though? (at least for a while) I don't want to have a multiple version of him.

Eh, Crown series or not, I'd say this figure already blows away that mess of a figure that was Crown Gandalf. Looks like this will be ready to display right out of the box, with the only modding you might need to do being adding some styling wax to the hair or weathering up the outfit a bit more.

And I don't really trust them to do the fully rooted hair on this anyway, since it would require a much more delicate touch to get the hairline just right.

Layering real hair over that top portion shouldn't be too hard for those with a delicate touch and some skills. I expect davejames, Raymond F, Rzeznikk and a few others to do this with great success.

I agree with you on the likeness of Aragorn and this. But this is only my subjective opinion, not a fact. A mistake people often make...

And does it sound logical for you that people would pretend to like something altough they don't? For which purpose?

No the mistake most people make is thinking everything is subjective because they get upset to easily and are afraid of upsetting someone else. It's perfectly feasible to know something is bad while still liking it.

Layering real hair over that top portion shouldn't be too hard for those with a delicate touch and some skills. I expect davejames, Raymond F, Rzeznikk and a few others to do this with great success.

I don't think it would be necessary myself. Only thing I might do is replace the plastic hair in back with lambs hair, so it blends better and isn't so stiff and shiny looking.

I don't think it would be necessary myself. Only thing I might do is replace the plastic hair in back with lambs hair, so it blends better and isn't so stiff and shiny looking.

I've heard -- not necessarily from reliable sources -- that you can scrub the sheen off the plastic Barbie hair. Is that true?

Replacing with better hair is clearly the way to go. I've never done that myself, so the ''scrub'' method was hopeful to me.

You two get outta my head and [emoji38][emoji6][emoji482]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wasn't the deluxe base version said to be an Asmus store exclusive? Sideshow is selling it. Anyway it doesn't matter, $100 extra is a crazy price for that base. Ordered the regular from BBTS.

Yeah the base definitely costs way more than it should, although I still think it adds a lot to the display so I'm willing to take the hit for it (even though I could probably sculpt the same thing myself for about $5).

I've heard -- not necessarily from reliable sources -- that you can scrub the sheen off the plastic Barbie hair. Is that true?

Replacing with better hair is clearly the way to go. I've never done that myself, so the ''scrub'' method was hopeful to me.

That can work pretty well bud but it depends on the character. When I redid Gimli a lot of what was left was the asmus work as a base and i did a bit of Tibetan lamb over it, but taking sandpaper to the beard helped it from looking so fake and synthetic only thing is it worked for a guy with ****** frizzy hair like gimli someone like Legolas may need more healthy looking hair to look right

That can work pretty well bud but it depends on the character. When I redid Gimli a lot of what was left was the asmus work as a base and i did a bit of Tibetan lamb over it, but taking sandpaper to the beard helped it from looking so fake and synthetic only thing is it worked for a guy with ****** frizzy hair like gimli someone like Legolas may need more healthy looking hair to look right

Ah, yes, so the scrubbing can create curls or frizz... that makes sense.

I wonder if a dulling spray would work? I guess it would come off every time you moved/touched the hair again. This hobby needs some more hairing technicians, damn it.

Ah, yes, so the scrubbing can create curls or frizz... that makes sense.

I wonder if a dulling spray would work? I guess it would come off every time you moved/touched the hair again. This hobby needs some more hairing technicians, damn it.

Yes! I need to somehow convince my wife or one of my daughters to help me. I sadly cannot remember the last time I even had to brush my hair let alone comb or style it. It’s probably my chief complaint with rooted hair figures. I am terrible at futzing with the hair. Right now I am frustrated with Galadriel because I cannot get the stands that fall over her shoulders to look right.

Yes! I need to somehow convince my wife or one of my daughters to help me. I sadly cannot remember the last time I even had to brush my hair let alone comb or style it. It?s probably my chief complaint with rooted hair figures. I am terrible at futzing with the hair. Right now I am frustrated with Galadriel because I cannot get the stands that fall over her shoulders to look right.

Surely some hair gel or spray could work?

Maybe spray it over your finger tips and press the hair?

Yes! I need to somehow convince my wife or one of my daughters to help me. I sadly cannot remember the last time I even had to brush my hair let alone comb or style it. It?s probably my chief complaint with rooted hair figures. I am terrible at futzing with the hair. Right now I am frustrated with Galadriel because I cannot get the stands that fall over her shoulders to look right.
Surely some hair gel or spray could work?

Maybe spray it over your finger tips and press the hair?
I would hit it with some water, style it to your liking and then hit it with some Stiffen Quik which will help keep it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

After wetting the hair you can also, while holding it in place, use a heat gun or blow dryer to help "set it" . Although with plastic hair you obviously have to be a bit more careful not to melt the hair.

Back