Asmus Toys: Eowyn in Armor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I've consolidated and migrated all my WIP posts into one thread over at OSW. I'll no longer post detailed how-to stuff on this thread as it's just too much work double-posting and my WIP has gotten scattered here as this thread has continued. Please visit my Eowyn thread there for more info if you'd like to know how I did stuff. I've pretty much finished with the cuirass, which means the figure is basically done. Here are some pics, and I'll occasionally post some more pics as I finish assembling and posing.

Enjoy!

P1050480.jpgP1050518.JPGP1050500.JPGP1050502.JPGP1050515.JPGP1050519.jpg

I just went and bookmarked your thread over there so now if I ever get a chance I can try to copy your work. :)

You've done an awesome job with her.

Awesome work ! THIS is Eowyn. If she had been like that out of the box, I'd have bought her.
:)

Tankgirl , you've already reached pro level with this figure. I'm astounded. Marvelous work.
This is exactly why I love the hobby

Tank Girl you went above and beyond with Eowyn and you did fantastic job.

Tank girl you suck! I was completely happy and satisfied with my Eowyn and now after seeing yours I'm no longer content. Haha please take that as a complement. That is truly outstanding work!!! Hopefully Asmus sees this and ups there game on each new release.

Tank girl you suck! I was completely happy and satisfied with my Eowyn and now after seeing yours I'm no longer content. Haha please take that as a complement. That is truly outstanding work!!! Hopefully Asmus sees this and ups there game on each new release.

:lol

Totally agree!

I thought I loved her out of the box, but Tank Girl has shown me the error of my ways! :lol

But seriously, TG, that's fine work. Is there any part of her that you didn't remake or improve in some way? Just the head, right? Gorgeous work.

Got mine yesterday and I'm quite happy with this fig! I need to repaint it a bit and expecially customize her a new cape but overall she's a pretty decent figure.

Thanks guys! Yeah, bucky, if you count weathering than I modified every single piece on this figure. Remember, I did cut the hair so that counts as the head, right? :lol Actually I did also airbrush the head with Flat Base mixed with Pledge Future to tone down the shine as well as lighten the complexion a bit.

Speaking of mods... the sword was the last unmodified thing I had, but once I finished everything else I noticed how off the grip/hilt was. Here are some pics:
P1050533.jpgP1050535.jpgP1050541.jpgP1050545.jpg

Some more pics:

EowynAndWitchKing.jpg
P1050553.jpg
eowyn-takeheartmerry.jpg
P1050566.JPG
The last one features an extra head which fortunately had a lighter tone paintjob with less "makeup". Please visit my OSW thread if interested in details.

Great pics again. I love what you did to the sword too. So you are now the complete package customizer, hair, paint, fabric/outfit, accessories and weapons.

Got mine last week but I was on vacation so it was at work for a week. I have zero issues with the helmet, clothing, chain mail, cuirass, sword, scabbard, or head sculpt. As has been shown someone can customize the hell out of it but for me straight out of the box is just fine. The shield passes for what it is but was kind of surprised that it seems to be made of a hard rubber. Plastic would have been better. The biggest fault that I see is the body. Legs are definitely too long. I would like to change the body, but without cutting the cuirass not sure how? I wonder if the arms can be removed so the cuirass can be slid off? Not sure how these bodies are assembled. The head also sits too high. I tried to push the connector higher up into the head like Gandalfs but it didn't budge. I'm never happy on how much these things cost but all in all I am quite happy with Eowyn.

Last edited:
Yeah, my biggest gripe is the body as well.
I've already unstitched the chain mail, so that looks better now, but the body really bothers me.

Got mine last week but I was on vacation so it was at work for a week. I have zero issues with the helmet, clothing, chain mail, cuirass, sword, scabbard, or head sculpt. As has been shown someone can customize the hell out of it but for me straight out of the box is just fine. The shield passes for what it is but was kind of surprised that it seems to be made of a hard rubber. Plastic would have been better. The biggest fault that I see is the body. Legs are definitely too long. I would like to change the body, but without cutting the cuirass not sure how? I wonder if the arms can be removed so the cuirass can be slid off? Not sure how these bodies are assembled. The head also sits too high. I tried to push the connector higher up into the head like Gandalfs but it didn't budge. I'm never happy on how much these things cost but all in all I am quite happy with Eowyn.
Unfortunately there is no way to remove the cuirass without cutting it. Just use a sharp x-acto and slice along the joint where they glued it on the left side. On my earlier posts showing the baldric WIP sitting on the loose cuirass you can see where I cut it. Once you get some separation you can peel it apart a little which will help you cut further into the seam. It won't be perfect but once you glue it back you won't be able to tell.

The arms don't come off, so that's not an option. Even if they did, the cuirass is so tight you will likely rip the clothing underneath and damage the headsculpt trying to pull it off (I would remove the head before doing any work on it anyway; use a hair dryer directed into the neck joint to heat it up and it'll pop off--cover the hair with your hand or you'll straighten the curls with the heat). The neck isn't really too long, it's just too slender. I stuffed leather strips into it to bulk it out. Once you put the cloak on (even the stock one) the neck won't seem as long.

I looked long and hard for a substitute body and almost all of them have overly long legs (or huge breasts which won't work with the clothing). And then you might run into problems with neck post, hands and even feet compatibility (remember this figure has no feet and the boots connect directly to the ankles). Honestly I think shortening the calves with a dremel or saw is really the simplest way, and that way you won't even have to take off the cuirass.

Great pics again. I love what you did to the sword too. So you are now the complete package customizer, hair, paint, fabric/outfit, accessories and weapons.

Thanks superdoug! This project pushed me to learn loads of new techniques and also hone my old skills. Feels great to be done!

Took some pics outside today, tried to replicate the look of Eowyn at the waypoint with sun hitting her hair from behind (see above for reference movie still):

Take heart, Merry. It will soon be over.
P1050591.JPG

Back