ASMUS TOYS : Aragorn @ The Battle of Helm's Deep

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Asmus, costume nit-picking nerd alert.

I've noticed that you have included the lace up stitching to the back of the vest. That is not screen accurate as the vest only has it down the sides under the arms. You can see the full back of the vest when he is watching Pippin ride away with Gandalf in ROTK and the only lacing is two large cross stitches near the waistline. Here is a photo of the new Weta Amon Hen statue which I know used the actual costume for the detail references and you can see it's not here either.

Also, there should only been a repair to the front left chest of the vest, not both sides like you have added. There is repair to the right side but it is under the belt where the lower half has been stitched to the top.

Hope it's not too late to change it but would be nice if it was a screen accurate as possible.

Keep up the great work. Thanks! [emoji28]
c118804d1ae38f7bcb2f9ea61184cad9.jpg
01303154b065ce448e7afdadf48b5415.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

We did tones of study this time on the clothing, especially on the vest,
it appears they look differently in numerous ocassions.

A clothing.jpg

A001e.jpg

A001f.jpg

The revision ofg the HS was worth it, I like it much more now, even when not on Crown level perfection. But Aragorn seems very hard to do. Now I'm tempted to get him even though I own the slim version already. His head is certainly the best Aragorn head out there.

:)

We did tones of study this time on the clothing, especially on the vest,
it appears they look differently in numerous ocassions.

View attachment 492822

View attachment 492823

View attachment 492824
There is repair work to front right side but it doesn't go past the waistline like it does on the left side. The back definitely doesn't have the lacing up the back and in the scene where he embraces Haldir when he arrives at Helm's Deep, you can see the back is just a straight line. There is additional patchwork to the back left near his waist and also to the back bottom right.

If you look at the new Weta statue of him at Amon Hen, they have included the correct detailing as they have the actual costume in their possession and even show it in detail in the video on YouTube about the sculpting of the statue. Even the old Toy Biz figures has the correct patchwork and detailing so it's definitely as it should be. You can see all that detail in the blu-rays but sometimes it's not as noticeable due to the lighting or because he's always moving but it is definitely there. For me that's the beauty of Aragorn's outfit, the detailing and repair work especially as Viggo did a lot of it on set and the costume team would tweak the other stunt costumes to match his.

The reason I keep harping on is that it would be great for everyone if there was a definitive version of this vest so we can use it to upgrade the vest on our older figures. :)
bd62a7580dcaff19a968568516f73f4c.jpg
1f5c8c3b3e287601fa54e40e082d4455.jpg
6a06a92964b0cf8004200fa423c6a617.jpg
441ad9958bff72e5646ddc568b9160fc.jpg
974becfa9c9cb33caf6477d564cc8493.jpg
dceade8dc498268829e0713e33578cbc.jpg
69c26a10a68e6d248ace698fceceecfa.jpg
0a2ac0846ffe06a0a5879f94b37a8af0.jpg
7c2b5c8f30ddbd071f7437a0fbd3a835.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

But isn't this the old sculpt?

yes it is and i’m confused as hell. It’s not the best pic but here it looks great. When I see it in their fancy photo shoot I don’t like it so much. I really think the staged photo shoots are throwing the likeness off. Even when Asmus themself held the sculpt in natural light and took pics i thought it looked better.

I think the sculpt?s quality is going to vary under the different angles, lighting, distances. All sculpts do. So far the vast majority have looked better in person to me so I am not too worried at this point. Now if every pictures looked bad I would be starting to be concerned but so far a lot of them look really good to me especially compared to every other attempt I have seen to capture the likeness.

The original battle damaged, side-glancing head always looked good- even though it’s seems to be the exact same sculpt as the one that took all the hate- so if the deluxe comes with the new head + the side-glancing head then I’ll be swayed. The regular version just popped up on KGH and is nice and cheap so it’s going to take the perfect combination of accessories to make me splurge on the deluxe especially considering that the diorama piece is just meh.

This is why manufacturers should be cautious when using promo shots exclusively to market a figure. Sometimes the lighting and angles can throw off the appearance of the sculpt and it could look much better under regular in hand conditions as we've seen before e.g. Elrond. I'm more confident that the likeness will be very good for both sculpts now.

Just found on Facebook. Looks great here
beaf3d9cfd1baaf93c1802b75dc13b70.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I'm not a massive fan of the headsculpt but the clothing and weapons look great (even though his chainmail is broken!)
This picture has sold it for me - placed an order with Asmus.
Never ordered from them before - the price seemed pretty cheap when converted to pound sterling.
Any UK residents have experience ordering from them? Any import fees?

I'm not a massive fan of the headsculpt but the clothing and weapons look great (even though his chainmail is broken!)
This picture has sold it for me - placed an order with Asmus.
Never ordered from them before - the price seemed pretty cheap when converted to pound sterling.
Any UK residents have experience ordering from them? Any import fees?

I ordered a Frodo from them directly and didn't have to pay import fees (Europe).

I bought Grishnakh, Merry and pippin from Asmus and got absolutely raped by customs so... it’s a gamble. Just one more thing holding me back from going for the deluxe version. Need to see what those extra accessories are soon.

So they say that they are going with "this" sculpt bexause of the negative feedback, but to me it looks like the same sculpt just painted differently. If that's the case, then not much improvement was actually made. Probably already produced those sculpts and need to use them. I dont like relying on "looking better in hand" when buying figures. Its gotta look on point, at this stage of the game. Its 2020 crown style sculpts should be the norm now

Back