Asmus Toys 1:6 - Saruman the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all + Asmus!

Labor of love, I do see why Asmus didn't go with a real beard and as you can see I left the hair because I think it works and is well executed for synthetic rooted hair, so I'm all for hair but I did think the mixing with a plastic beard was weird. But I always thought this was one of the best Asmus sculpts so I was eager to do him for ages but I sort of needed the LOTR offerings to fill out a bit more .

But yes as I mentioned in another one of these threads current tech doesn't let any way for something like this to be done in a mass way... the beard is more tacked on than punched or rooted.

Hot toys recently attempted this with their yoda but it's so crude in order to look right it takes care and percision. Also the hair apparently wipes right off of yoda.

Yep, I believe several of us have the same issue. In my case its because the "marble" isn't really a perfect sphere -- mine's very uneven so its hard to find a place where it can cover the light. Additionally, my palantir doesn't have much of an Eye of Sauron inside.

But the figure is great, and that stand itself is awesome.

Has anybody considered using O-Rings to help fill the gaps, not movie accurate i know, but finding the right size and placing it in boiled water to soften, then place it on base and squeeze the marble down on it, to help fit better and avoid light leakage. One could even place a piece of orange see through sweet wrapper between them, just adding my two cent to conversation, do not own figure myself, but that may change..

Has any one used a plastic food sealer on the outfit arms to help keep the original color prior to coffee dying, to help give a two tone effect.

IMG_20180202_203310.jpg

Hair is too thin but he sure displays nice.

Thanks man!!

I'd say they all average about 15-24 hours of work for each. Saurman probably the least because I did keep the Asmus hair but I heavily reworked it to look natural and he's also completely repainted including the eyes which Asmus painted too small and light. So the time was made up there.

I've thought a lot about the hobbits. When the new frodo and Sam come out I'll likely do their hair. But indeed it will be more difficult because it becomes about sourcing the exact right piece and curl for each part of the hair which is harder. But it would be a bit odd to have only two with plastic hair.

Amazing! Asmus should hire you as an expert to increase the quality of their figures.

He doesn't have many accessories but is there a reason the Slim Saruman is so cheap? Like $130 at BBTS?

I think it's just the lack of accessories, and that it's just a pretty simple outfit and a headsculpt with a standard body. And because of that I ordered him a couple days ago! I can live without the Palantir, and at that price it's hard to pass, specially when we see the potential of the figure looking at that beautiful custom from Raymond.

View attachment 402302
Commission work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is really great !

I've got my Saruman recently and I have a question. How do you paint rooted hair ? Do you just put acrylic paint with a brush on it ? Doesn't the paint glue the hair together ?
I cant' do a custom as good as this one, but I was thinking about painting the hair more white and less...shiny.
Thank you

Have you guys seen that HT Dooku/Christopher Lee? It looks stunning. Don't get me wrong though, Asmus nailed the likeness as well.

im gunna buy the original saruman i chose that version as i wanted the palantir for display but the robes are pure white... So

How do you do a 'Coffee Wash' without ruining the thing.???

Back