Asmus Toys 1:6 - Saruman the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, while on a rejuvenated LOTR 12" figure acquisition high, I just ordered this one from BBTS. (picked up GtW from Ebay a few days ago and the ACI Ringwraith a couple of weeks back...)

I've done my research in regards to the "coffee bath" required and possible height extension as well.

Having the Sideshow/Weta statue, I always felt that obtaining the figure would be a "double-dip" of the character, as it's already in 1/6th scale and with the pedestal and palantir pose, but with the "slim" version out there, I thought that the original "Full" version would eventually sell out and I would probably regret not getting it when I had the chance. So I went ahead and took the plunge...

Saruman arrived and I was truly surprised to see that the figure is a limited edition and comes numbered. Very cool.

I haven't had a chance to take it out of the box yet and set it up but what a great looking presentation, packaging and figure. Well done, Asmus!

Just comparing Saruman to my recently received Gandalf the White, I can see the progress that Asmus has done with sculpting, outfit detailing and paint applications. Now I'm really looking forward to Legolas!

I worked on Saruman last night and I really appreciate Asmus's design and implementation of this character.

My only issue is with the hair, which already has been discussed in this thread. Rooted hair was definitely the way to go with this character but I just can't get it to look good. If I have it looking good from the front, I get the patchy bald spots on the sides. if I have it looking good from the sides, I can't have the "over-the-should" look that is the prominent look for Saruman. There's simply not enough "hair" to cover the sculpt correctly.

Aside from that, it's an excellent figure, all around, and I'm glad to add it to my 1/6 LOTR figure display. Now I just need to pick up a battery for the pedestal.

Edit: And need to do the coffee water treatment as well.

Saruman 1.jpg

I worked on Saruman last night and I really appreciate Asmus's design and implementation of this character.

My only issue is with the hair, which already has been discussed in this thread. Rooted hair was definitely the way to go with this character but I just can't get it to look good. If I have it looking good from the front, I get the patchy bald spots on the sides. if I have it looking good from the sides, I can't have the "over-the-should" look that is the prominent look for Saruman. There's simply not enough "hair" to cover the sculpt correctly.

Aside from that, it's an excellent figure, all around, and I'm glad to add it to my 1/6 LOTR figure display. Now I just need to pick up a battery for the pedestal.

Edit: And need to do the coffee water treatment as well.

I have that issue with the hair on this guy, as well. It's a tricky balance because if they added much more hair, it wouldn't lay as straight as it needs to. But anything other than a straight-on pose, he looks too sparse.

I picked up some extra hair on eBay and one day, when I'm feeling brave enough, I'm going to try filling him in a little.

But honestly, that prospect kind of terrifies me a little.

I just used a cheap plastic comb and got it to cover pretty good. I think some of the figures have more hair than others. I have a second head and the hair is thicker than the original one that came with my saruman.

Try running hot or close to boiling water on it.

Rooted hair is essentially plastic, and just like when you heat up hands to change them out, it will soften the plastic, and so it should make the hair softer, and let it droop, allowing you to shape it more easily. If you still have the clear plastic band that came with the head, put that back on to hold the hair in place while it dries, otherwise it will poof back out when it dries.

Just use it sparingly, you can end up melting the hair if its too hot.

Found this pic of Saruman that I had taken and just noticed that Grima was standing behind him. Found it pretty cool.

Saruman 3.jpg

I'm really liking my Asmus Saruman and Gandalf the White more and more. I was late in acquiring them but so glad that I finally did.

Can anyone tell me if there are differences between the original and Slim versions?

I've skimmed around this thread and if this was mentioned, I didn't find it

I believe the "slim" version doesn't include the Palantir and pedestal. Just the figure and staff.

:lol:lol

My fault, posted that in a rush. Should've been more clear.

I meant, is there a difference between the figs themselves as far as things like the sculpt paint, hair app, outfit color, etc.

Thanks in advance peeps

:lol:lol

My fault, posted that in a rush. Should've been more clear.

I meant, is there a difference between the figs themselves as far as things like the sculpt paint, hair app, outfit color, etc.

Thanks in advance peeps

Nope. The same.

Thanks for the info!

Is everything else different with the sculpt paint and hair application, or is that basically the same as the original?

Paint and sculpt wise, it is the same.
Saruman was quite well done in this part, so we didn't make any change

Does anyone have any photos of the Memorial version?! Maybe I need to get that version?

I'm not familiar with the "Memorial" version. I thought there was only the original version with the pedestal and palantir and the "Slim" version without the Pedestal/palantir but with tweaked outfit color.

Back