Asmus Toys 1:6 - Saruman the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caved in and grabbed the full version of BBTS. In 2 weeks, I've gone from completely being able to resist this line to having Gandalf the Gray, Frodo, Sam, Legolas preordered, and now Saruman lol.

So for coffee staining, we just dip the whole body minus shoes, head and hands? Anybody just brush it on with good results? Never tried using code to dye before.

Caved in and grabbed the full version of BBTS. In 2 weeks, I've gone from completely being able to resist this line to having Gandalf the Gray, Frodo, Sam, Legolas preordered, and now Saruman lol.

So for coffee staining, we just dip the whole body minus shoes, head and hands? Anybody just brush it on with good results? Never tried using code to dye before.

if you want to try coffee dyeing (which we did also try, work out quite well), I would suggest you remove the cloth just in case water gets into the screws on the joints of the body, it may cause rust.

Don't worry about dipping too long or too much, once it dries, it will not be obvious. But make sure you squeeze the coffee water out dry, so the color can be even spread, if not it will accumulate on certain spots and become a "stain".

Anyway, we dyed the entire batch of Slim version too, little improvement we did after the full version.

After Thranduil, finally gave a try to Saruman. At first I painted the whole outfit with a very liquid Tamiya Deck Tan, wich matches quite well the "white" of Saruman. I sanded the belt to reduce the thickness. At last I found the hair were too blonde and too shiny, so I painted them with a very diluted light grey paint. I also repainted the beard (nearly just a wash) with this same color.
:)

IMG_7168.JPG

IMG_7170.JPG

IMG_7171.JPG

IMG_7180.JPG

IMG_7182.JPG

After Thranduil, finally gave a try to Saruman. At first I painted the whole outfit with a very liquid Tamiya Deck Tan, wich matches quite well the "white" of Saruman. I sanded the belt to reduce the thickness. At last I found the hair were too blonde and too shiny, so I painted them with a very diluted light grey paint. I also repainted the beard (nearly just a wash) with this same color.
:)

View attachment 348348

View attachment 348349

View attachment 348350

View attachment 348351

View attachment 348352

this is really awsome!

Just got this guy from BBTS, and while I've only opened the box to take a quick look at him (I have to do some rearranging in my display), he already looks incredible! He definitely looks like one of Asmus's best!

That's crazy good!

How long does it take you to do this? Are we talking a day or so on one of these? Legolas, Aragorn, Gandalf and this. They have all turned out fantastic. Are you going to try to find a way to get "rooted hair" to work for the hobbits? Not sure how anyone could get the curly short hair to work.

Lastly, have you thought about working on Eowyn?

That's crazy good!

How long does it take you to do this? Are we talking a day or so on one of these? Legolas, Aragorn, Gandalf and this. They have all turned out fantastic. Are you going to try to find a way to get "rooted hair" to work for the hobbits? Not sure how anyone could get the curly short hair to work.

Lastly, have you thought about working on Eowyn?

Thanks man!!

I'd say they all average about 15-24 hours of work for each. Saurman probably the least because I did keep the Asmus hair but I heavily reworked it to look natural and he's also completely repainted including the eyes which Asmus painted too small and light. So the time was made up there.

I've thought a lot about the hobbits. When the new frodo and Sam come out I'll likely do their hair. But indeed it will be more difficult because it becomes about sourcing the exact right piece and curl for each part of the hair which is harder. But it would be a bit odd to have only two with plastic hair.

I didn't plan on getting Eowyn actually but curious to see what someone could do with new hair on her.

Thanks man!!

I'd say they all average about 15-24 hours of work for each. Saurman probably the least because I did keep the Asmus hair but I heavily reworked it to look natural and he's also completely repainted including the eyes which Asmus painted too small and light. So the time was made up there.

I've thought a lot about the hobbits. When the new frodo and Sam come out I'll likely do their hair. But indeed it will be more difficult because it becomes about sourcing the exact right piece and curl for each part of the hair which is harder. But it would be a bit odd to have only two with plastic hair.

I didn't plan on getting Eowyn actually but curious to see what someone could do with new hair on her.

Time well spent. Can't wait to see you tackle the hobbits. Really curious to see if it is possible to get a realistic look with their hair.

If I had any skill I'd take an Eowyn figure and the dress from one of the Toy Biz ones and see if I could make a good custom of her when she is standing out front of Edoras. One of my favorite snapshots from the movies.

Holy crap that's amazing! His sculpted beard always bothered me. This took the figure to a level of its own. Museum quality right there!

Damn!!!! Legolas, Aragorn, Gandalf, Sauruman...!!! Your work makes my collection look like flea market fodder:(
This is incredibly impressive!!

Back