1/6 POTC - SWToys x Tough Guys FS046 Lord of the Caspian Sea (Barbossa)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New body FINALLY arrived!
So I can now assemble the figure together completely repainted.
I don't know if its just me - but just making the stock clothing's colours more accurate makes a HUGE difference in the quality and likeness!
I no longer really feel the need to implement the alterations I was planning to the outer coat to replicate the texture anymore (@VashDStampede 's work would be far superior anyway! :ROFLMAO: )
I am actually pretty darn happy with how the outfit looks now. Is it 100% No. But it really doesn't bother me as much.
(with that said if the custom coat was a decent price and I had the money spare....)

barbossa 1.jpg
barbossa 2.jpg
barbossa 3.jpg

For me the only thing that NEEDS replacing is the head - now that the clothes are in a better state it just emphasizes to me that the sculpt is what's letting the likeness down.
So if anyone knows of a/wants to start a custom run of Barbossa head's then you can safely count me in.
I do have a plan to try and address the head a little in a way that wont render it ruined if my amateur fumblings come to naught.
My plan is to use watercolors to add a few color washes to the face - some to lighten the extremely heavy tanning on the face (which is the FIRST thing everyone who has seen him has mentioned so far). I also intend to add some alcoholic rouge to the cheeks and nose as well as a jaundiced yellow to the eyes.
I also plan to cut off a little of my own hair and chop it into very fine pieces and (by adding a layer of glue to the beard) go over the overly full sculpted beard with a faux "rooted" one. Then using this as a base I intend to use slightly longer chopped hairs to make a beard that's a little more stringy and wispy.
I'm going to practice first on paper then a spare (pretty bad) head sculpt I got as a free gift on eBay years ago to see if the idea works in principle.
Worse case scenario (so long as I use PVA) is that I have to wash it all back off and I've killed off a few unproductive hours.

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress @lornastrond.
It takes a lot of trial and error for stuff like this, but each attempt just adds to experience and will help out for future projects.

As for my attempt for the “rooted” beard, “shaving” off the sculpted beard is a must to keep his face slim.

I’m still tweaking my attempt, but here’s where it’s at so far. I also slightly resculpted the corners of the mouth to have more of a frown as well as adding red flocking for the veining on the cheeks and nose. I also still need to repaint the eyes.
9A2D243E-FBFA-47F3-B5DE-F27FDC39324B.jpeg

I also plan to cut off a little of my own hair and chop it into very fine pieces and (by adding a layer of glue to the beard) go over the overly full sculpted beard with a faux "rooted" one. Then using this as a base I intend to use slightly longer chopped hairs to make a beard that's a little more stringy and wispy.
I wouldn’t suggest using your own hair as it will not be the scaled thickness it needs to be even if you have super fine hair.
Here’s what I used since I had it available, but I’m sure there are different thickness wool and other materials that would work even better. What’s good about this is it can be colored easily with acrylic or watercolor paints.
I also used the gel superglue and used a toothpick to spread a thin layer a small section at a time starting at the bottom and working up.
559B6EB3-A256-44ED-AB32-ECCBB8B412D0.jpeg

I finished the design for the belt buckle, but I printed it slightly too large, so I’m going to resize it to be around the same size as the baldric buckle.
I’m also trying to figure out how to do the braided belt.

I’m also a bit more mobile now, so I may try to get some sewing practice done today.

8319F632-90FC-4740-B32D-29416BD8445A.jpeg

I tried my new pattern and I think that besides cinching below the armpit area for a more fitted look, it’s a keeper. I used some material I had lying around to practice, which actually looks pretty good. Once I’m able to go out, I’ll be looking for a thinner lining material since mine is a bit thick and makes it look bulky.
21FD9A87-9A43-47B4-ABD8-8FAD2D439AB5.jpeg

Last edited:
I removed my attempt at the eyes and decided to just tweak the current eyes a bit to reshape/position them. I also added a wash on the brow and cheek creases.
To remove the drowsy look, I extended the upper eyelashes with a thin black line and painted some faint lashes. I added a yellow wash to the white part of the eyes.
This along with the previous thickening of the eyebrows, adding red flocking and paint to the cheek and nose areas, reshaping the corners of the mouth, and “rooted” facial hair has really made this sculpt come to life. Oh, and I also extended the scar.
Here’s a side by side of where I started and how it is now:
D5605DB8-C31A-41D6-9445-6DE6582E3B7C.jpeg

OK, so, Barbossa arrived.... and I have to say, despite the myriad of inaccuracies -- and my unshaken thirst to do what Vash is doing -- this "Barbossa" is indeed a really cool figure. Perhaps its my long-anticipated desire for this character; perhaps its just all the bits and details -- whatever it is, I'm happy I caved and got one before they dry up. Thanks Freaks!

There is A LOT to do on this figure to improve him straight from the box, but here's my usual out-of-the-box pictures with no futzing and light posing...

...please forgive the impossibly posed "leaning Monkey" of the Caspian Sea...

Barbossa COMP 3.jpg

cu COMP.jpg

This will be a lot of fun to upgrade and tinker with for many months to come.

Beautiful pictures @Wor-Gar!
I’m glad you like the figure as it is very nice and has so much going for it. If I had the cash, I would buy another one just to have the stock figure along with the customized one I’m working on. If you ever decide to customize and want any of the detail parts that I printed, let me know.

Just an update, I finally have a revised, revised pattern that hugs the chest and waist area the right way to slim down the figure. I’ll use this pattern with the dotted shirt material.
I also tested some wax thread I recently purchased and made a trial belt. I’ll try to be more consistent with the spacing on my next attempt.
I also sprayed the boots with a few coats of plastidip to get a leather look as well as testing new boot “bells” (sorry, I don’t know the right term for them).
A3DB3239-DA19-44D0-8F90-163431E2BDD7.jpeg

Thanks, Vash! I'll definitely take you up on your offer if I go the distance on the upgrade. It would require me to find some pre-made leather material first, so I'll have to keep my eyes out for wider leather. What is the width of your baldric?

The new coat pattern looks good and the new threaded belt looks awesome. I think uneven spacing is more interesting and rough looking, especially once its colored correctly.

Thanks, Vash! I'll definitely take you up on your offer if I go the distance on the upgrade. It would require me to find some pre-made leather material first, so I'll have to keep my eyes out for wider leather. What is the width of your baldric?

The new coat pattern looks good and the new threaded belt looks awesome. I think uneven spacing is more interesting and rough looking, especially once its colored correctly.
Looking forward to your take on this. The baldric I made is .5” wide
The leather I used was from a soft leather work glove. It was light tan that I painted dark brown and painted faux distressing. The grooved edges, which probably isn’t needed, was done using a pizza cutter.

Seriously? You continue to amaze. Such professional work from simple home appliances! I don't know how you kept the pizza-cutter so steady to make that even line.
I figured that the pizza cutter I had wouldn’t cut the leather and used a ruler as a guide to get a straight line.

By the way, I got the arms on my trial coat and finished the second boot cuff.

4A6FC521-6641-4FDF-9F7A-02B015693D74.jpeg
C3EA70D4-23AE-4399-A496-91176B6A41F3.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good, but if you remain with the coat being that open, you'll have to change those pants now too. The pants really should be much darker and much, much baggier.

I think you might need a little more room to that coat. He is supposed to be able to close it if he wants.

Looking good, but if you remain with the coat being that open, you'll have to change those pants now too. The pants really should be much darker and much, much baggier.

I think you might need a little more room to that coat. He is supposed to be able to close it if he wants.
I’m working on new pants soon ;)

As far as the coat, it maybe able to use a quarter inch more room, but it is able to close somewhat since it has lots of material because of the pleated nature of the coat. I did have it a little too open in my last picture.
However, I wanted it to have the slim look, so I’ll have to test out what giving it more room in the chest area would look like.
85A06A06-7E32-468E-B044-7681FE4E280F.jpeg

3E951080-DDC9-48F7-8578-BD685F19C521.jpeg

Since I don’t see many pictures of Barbossa with a closed coat, I may have to go with aesthetics rather than practicality unless I decide to add wires to the coat.

Last edited:
Even though I’m making my own coat, I just couldn’t pass up purchasing a couple of coats I saw a few days ago from Monkey Depot.
One is a dark grey (DiD Luftwaffe Generals Overcoat) , and the other which is a couple of shades lighter (DiD German Officer Grey Greatcoat). At $4.99 each, these were a bargain to use as a base for a custom coat.
With some patience removing some buttons and extra pieces and slight sewing skills, this can be a good alternative. The darker one also has wire on the bottom edges, which is nice (the lighter one does not). I may test doing some iron on transfer with the dotted pattern, but I’ll do some tests.
Here’s what it looks like fitted to the Lord of the Caspian Sea figure:
FE10D388-59B9-4DC6-B7BF-D9C6DE137564.jpeg

Update:
I found some old light fabric transfer paper this morning and with a quick photoshop cut and paste, I was able to create a trial texture using a picture of the actual costume fabric. Light color fabric transfer paper is not as thick as the dark fabric transfer paper, so it is better suited for this scale, but it does add a bit of rigidity to the fabric.
IRON ON TRANSFER PATTERN.jpg

IRON ON TRANSFER PATTERN 2.jpg

As you can see, it gets too dark when placed on a darker fabric as is, but looks good on white fabric, but by lightening the picture, upping contrast and making it grayscale, it works a lot better. I'll still try to tweak the contrast a bit before I try using it on the pre-made coat. I may also try it and sew up another trial coat from my own patterns. Dye sublimation may be the best way to do this, but I don't have a second printer to use dye sub inks on.
Sorry if my posts are detracting to this thread, but hopefully you guys don't mind.

I hope this helps future budget customizers of this piece.

Last edited:
Back