1/6 NEXT Hot Toys DC Figure...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wrote “(box office).” But I will note that Godzilla vs. Kong which was during a much more severe phase of the pandemic made $48.5M. Black Widow which opened only a just a few weekends ago just made $80M.
Nope. In the US…where these films were all made and released, when Kong came out the daily case average was around 54,000 per day, now, a week after The Suicide Squad has been released the daily average is well over 100,000 per day…how can half as many cases be a “more severe phase” of anything?
Disney Plus was charging more for Black Widow to watch at home than the cost of two tickets to see it on the big screen at the nicest theater in my city…The Suicide Squad just automatically showed up on my TV with my HBO Max subscription…that I don’t even pay for because HBO was already part of my cable package and HBO subscribers get Max for free.
So with Black Widow I can actually save money by seeing it at a theater…Suicide Squad is just sitting there on my TV…barely had to move to click the play button…see the difference?
Even if we weren’t in a pandemic, how could I resist clicking play and watching the movie in beautiful 4k in my pajamas…I was half way through with the movie in the time it would have taken me just to drive to the theater, park, buy the tickets, and get to my seat.
It’s a miracle that it made a penny.
And WB doesn’t care, they only released it in theaters to appease the theater owners. They are probably on the phone with James Gunn begging for another Suicide Squad movie as I type this.

Last edited:
Everyone: "James Gunn is so awesome!"

Me: "Why, though?"
what-confused.gif

If it bombs, then it means almost no one cares about it. There is cool character designs from it, but if you are running a business and a film isn't even close to financial success, why would you think there is a good market for your figures? In addition to that, all of these characters besides Harley are no names. There is a reason Howard didn't announce any figures beforehand and showed one off at a show to see what the buzz would be.
Dude, your line of thinking is so narrow. LOL.

I didn't have an issue with them - given the characters involved it felt natural and not out of place. It's more awkward when a film drops their one allowance of the F bomb and it doesn't fall right.
Second viewing really stood out to me. I didn't watch it all the way, just certain scenes with KS and Starro. Pretty sure Waller wouldn't freak out like she did in TSS, f f f f all you Squad members!
Dude, your line of thinking is so narrow. LOL.
You can elaborate.

It can go back to Zack Snyder to annoy everyone again.

Not sure why the movie needed 50 F bombs. Someone needs to do a count.
James Gunn just likes to write F bombs…filmmaker’s write the way they write.
Not every film is made to appeal to puritanical tastes…plenty of Disney and Pixar movies for the easily offended by swear words crowd.

James Gunn just likes to write F bombs…filmmaker’s write the way they write.
Not every film is made to appeal to puritanical tastes…plenty of Disney and Pixar movies for the easily offended by swear words crowd.
Even those ain't pure. Look at the older Disney animations. Ain't looking for purity, just some taste.

Even those ain't pure. Look at the older Disney animations. Ain't looking for purity, just some taste.
Well the very tasteful and sophisticated film critics in the cinema writing community all seem to think it’s pretty tasteful…amazing reviews…I don’t typically depend on critics but clearly the folks who do this for a living disagree with your assessment of how tasteful this film is…

Well the very tasteful and sophisticated film critics in the cinema writing community all seem to think it’s pretty tasteful…amazing reviews…I don’t typically depend on critics but clearly the folks who do this for a living disagree with your assessment of how tasteful this film is…
You mean biased and paid off film critics? If you do this for a living, you take their free vacations. To think this movie is written or structured well and is a 9/10 is crazy.

You can elaborate.
Sure. First off you're judging the success of this film SOLELY on its underperformance thus far in the box-office. You know damn well given the special circumstances that isn't fair. ALL movies and all theatres are hugely affected right now and numbers across the board are lower than what they normally would be. Exactly why Warner Bros. has this on HBO Max as well(which we already know is one of the most streamed movies on there which is a good thing and those profits aren't split up and given to theatres.) We're still relatively early on, we don't even have all the data to determine just how much of a loss(if it even ends up being one) it is.

Thing is, none of that is even the determining factor of whether this movie is "good" or "bad" or a "success". You start talking like that, you need to actually look at ALL of the variables. James Gunn actually just recently talked on this subject-- the climate of movies is changing, between the pandemic and streaming services it's no surprise. However once a movie is released and watched, no matter how it is being watched, the true success lies in the reception received from the audience and to a lesser degree, critics. And both of those have been overwhelmingly positive so far. This movie will more than likely have a legacy because of that.

You talk about the movie not being "tasteful". Based on what? Swearing? LOL. I'm not sure what you were expecting. First off this is R-rated, this is James Gunn given free-reign. Second off, this is THE SUICIDE SQUAD. These characters aren't superheroes, they kill, they *gasp* say the F-word as many times as they want. They are heavily flawed and supposed to be unlikely "heroes". Quite literally the premise of the movie and it wasn't marketed as anything to the contrary. Totally fine to not like a movie, it sounds like you just have different taste.

Sure. First off you're judging the success of this film SOLELY on its underperformance thus far in the box-office. You know damn well given the special circumstances that isn't fair. ALL movies and all theatres are hugely affected right now and numbers across the board are lower than what they normally would be. Exactly why Warner Bros. has this on HBO Max as well(which we already know is one of the most streamed movies on there which is a good thing and those profits aren't split up and given to theatres.) We're still relatively early on, we don't even have all the data to determine just how much of a loss(if it even ends up being one) it is.

Thing is, none of that is even the determining factor of whether this movie is "good" or "bad" or a "success". You start talking like that, you need to actually look at ALL of the variables. James Gunn actually just recently talked on this subject-- the climate of movies is changing, between the pandemic and streaming services it's no surprise. However once a movie is released and watched, no matter how it is being watched, the true success lies in the reception received from the audience and to a lesser degree, critics. And both of those have been overwhelmingly positive so far. This movie will more than likely have a legacy because of that.

You talk about the movie not being "tasteful". Based on what? Swearing? LOL. I'm not sure what you were expecting. First off this is R-rated, this is James Gunn given free-reign. Second off, this is THE SUICIDE SQUAD. These characters aren't superheroes, they kill, they *gasp* say the F-word as many times as they want. They are heavily flawed and supposed to be unlikely "heroes". Quite literally the premise of the movie and it wasn't marketed as anything to the contrary. Totally fine to not like a movie, it sounds like you just have different taste.
I watched the movie then looked at it's BO performance. I've read plenty of comments, and once you look past the actual gatekeepers, it is a mixed bag. I don't care what James Gunn has to say, I want to see what he did. And for a big budget movie like this, his type of humor and character selection isn't going to appeal to a mass audience. I know humor with gore can work, but then even that was done bad for the most part. No one cares about fairness, it is about success. I don't see it here. Crap movies that no one sees wins Oscars. There is your sophisticated critics. If 5 people see a movie and all think it is great, does it mean it is a success if no one else cares?

So if I hear an F bomb literally 50 times in a movie, that is cool? Do you think that maybe it is veering into unnecessary stupidity like a Seth Rogan low budget movie instead of what is needed for a big budget CGI superhero movie? Yeah, Deadpool didn't do that and it and you could see his character do that. But why do that? RR knows how to push boundaries and still deliver. Gunn did exactly what he wanted to and the studio let him. For some reason Gunn is considered such a genius, at a clear loss even in Covid times.

Don't worry, plenty of others think this was ok to poor on other threads. I just think Gunn is given genius status when I don't see common sense applied on his part. GOTG Vol2 was crap and was only saved by his music video moments. Moments don't make a good movie, like this one. The structure was there for him with Vol. 1 and he hasn't delivered since. That movie was with a good box office too, riding the coattails of Vol. 1. Now apply his box office to Zack Snyder/David Ayer. They got trashed badly, yet have tons of box office success. There is something off with the critics world and mass audience attendance.

I watched the movie then looked at it's BO performance. I've read plenty of comments, and once you look past the actual gatekeepers, it is a mixed bag. I don't care what James Gunn has to say, I want to see what he did. And for a big budget movie like this, his type of humor and character selection isn't going to appeal to a mass audience. I know humor with gore can work, but then even that was done bad for the most part. No one cares about fairness, it is about success. I don't see it here. Crap movies that no one sees wins Oscars. There is your sophisticated critics. If 5 people see a movie and all think it is great, does it mean it is a success if no one else cares?

So if I hear an F bomb literally 50 times in a movie, that is cool? Do you think that maybe it is veering into unnecessary stupidity like a Seth Rogan low budget movie instead of what is needed for a big budget CGI superhero movie? Yeah, Deadpool didn't do that and it and you could see his character do that. But why do that? RR knows how to push boundaries and still deliver. Gunn did exactly what he wanted to and the studio let him. For some reason Gunn is considered such a genius, at a clear loss even in Covid times.

Don't worry, plenty of others think this was ok to poor on other threads. I just think Gunn is given genius status when I don't see common sense applied on his part. GOTG Vol2 was crap and was only saved by his music video moments. Moments don't make a good movie, like this one. The structure was there for him with Vol. 1 and he hasn't delivered since. That movie was with a good box office too, riding the coattails of Vol. 1. Now apply his box office to Zack Snyder/David Ayer. They got trashed badly, yet have tons of box office success. There is something off with the critics world and mass audience attendance.
giphy.webp

You mean biased and paid off film critics? If you do this for a living, you take their free vacations. To think this movie is written or structured well and is a 9/10 is crazy.
So because you didn’t like a movie it’s automatically bad and anyone who claims to like it was paid off to make that claim?
You of course know that that is pure idiocy, right? I mean a really, really unintelligent perspective.
I’ve hated a bunch of movies that some critics and others enjoyed. I don’t agree with their opinion, but I’m smart enough to accept that opinions vary from person to person.
I LOVED the movie…seen it twice, might jump back in for a third. Bunch of my friends and co-workers loved it too.
YOU didn’t…end of story.

Using Zack Snyder's movies as proof that critics are wrong or don't know what they're talking about because audiences supposedly love him is debatable. Batman v Superman did over 800 million, which is nothing to sneeze at, but that's a steep step down from the last two solo Batman movies (neither of which had the novelty of Batman teaming up with Superman and Wonder Woman on the big screen for the first time in history) and fell far short of the studio's financial projections and had some of the worst legs of any modern superhero movie. It basically made a ton of money opening weekend because of the sheer hype and great marketing, only to collapse the second weekend due to toxic word of mouth. So it was not as though critics hated it but your average Joe on the street thought it was a masterpiece. Had the word of mouth been positive enough to drive repeat viewing, it would've broken at least a billion rather easily, but that didn't happen.

I don't know where anyone is getting the idea that the negative reputation the DC movie franchise has is somehow completely divorced from Snyder or Ayer just because on paper, their movies made money.

Last edited:
Second viewing really stood out to me. I didn't watch it all the way, just certain scenes with KS and Starro. Pretty sure Waller wouldn't freak out like she did in TSS, f f f f all you Squad members!

You can elaborate.
And you hated the movie so much that…you sat through it TWICE!??! 😂
I just caught that.
I find it to be bizarre and sad enough that people want to sit on Internet threads to discuss movies that they disliked, why not put that energy into something that brings them actual joy?
But sitting through a movie that you disliked, even parts of it, for a second time???
For what? To find more nit picks to complain about on the internet discussion forum?
I wish I had that kind of time. I barely have time to sit through movies that I love, can’t imagine stewing angrily on my couch for over two hours picking apart a movie I’ve already seen just to have something to complain about to strangers online.

Back