1/6 Hot Toys MMS699 & MMS700 ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ROTJ v TESB

Same bug eyes, big mouth and droopy tusks. Maybe HT will tweak it, but i doubt it

View attachment 632206
Yeah, seems to be. That ESB figure was so bad I sold it and won't have a 1:6 Vader until I can easily make something as good as the 1:4 one which is more or less perfect IMO. I can't understand how anyone likes the ESB one.

I'll probably get this one to display with the "emperor's wrath" TVC carded figure I have, maybe if the Kenobi helmet looks good I can swap one onto this. Hopefully the body isnt as much of a mess as the ESB one.

Even though the helmet is the same as the ESB, which is off in a few areas and not ideal, I still just PO'd this guy. Just finally gives me a reason to display Vader with the unmasked Shaw sculpt or maybe even with the cool light up deluxe Blue head.
That's what i intend doing as well. The Shaw sculpt with the new improved moving eye system is just too cool looking not to have on display.

And i'm happy enough with my modded HT ANH version as my main 1/6 Vader.

View attachment 632209He’s up! $345, not bad. Only $45 more than their first release, the OG ANH Vader!

I can’t afford this hobby anymore….

The ESB this is based on was $267 and the Standard of this is $300. That’s not too bad of a jump for the headsculpt and LED lightsaber.

Deluxe at $345 seems less appetizing for what you get, but I still generally recommend getting the Deluxe to have no regrets.

That said, the Deluxe will pretty much be a $400 purchase after tax and shipping. That’s certainly not insignificant and I can see people likely being even more selective going forward.

Vader being iconic and a ROTJ version being long sought after will still move a good number of these though. Despite the flaws.

Yeah, seems to be. That ESB figure was so bad I sold it and won't have a 1:6 Vader until I can easily make something as good as the 1:4 one which is more or less perfect IMO. I can't understand how anyone likes the ESB one.

I'll probably get this one to display with the "emperor's wrath" TVC carded figure I have, maybe if the Kenobi helmet looks good I can swap one onto this. Hopefully the body isnt as much of a mess as the ESB one.
I'm looking forward to it already:cool:

The proportions on Hot Toys Vader figures really bug me. Why is that? Does it have to do with the overall balance of the piece? Can they not make properly long legs? Is the costume just too bulky un 1/6? I have of course never designed a 1/6 or 1/4 figure but I would love to hear some reasoning behind it. I look at Vader statues and wonder why we can’t have that imposing presence?

Is it unfair to compare 1/6 to lifesize? These pics are in basically the same pose and it illustrates my complaint very well.
079B723D-A9E2-4FF8-A6A9-B18333DBACD7.jpeg

B01B2C30-F132-4129-B950-0AA36EBBAE27.jpeg

The proportions on Hot Toys Vader figures really bug me. Why is that? Does it have to do with the overall balance of the piece? Can they not make properly long legs? Is the costume just too bulky un 1/6? I have of course never designed a 1/6 or 1/4 figure but I would love to hear some reasoning behind it. I look at Vader statues and wonder why we can’t have that imposing presence?

Is it unfair to compare 1/6 to lifesize? These pics are in basically the same pose and it illustrates my complaint very well.
View attachment 632214
View attachment 632215
Here’s some ROTJ specific Vader pics:
263E106E-A587-4ADA-B194-9515E26F3169.jpeg
100C36A9-B846-41B1-A064-324D0CC6DB72.jpeg

I wonder if Vader coming out today means we get a certain smuggler on may 4? Any Vader release is a big deal and the Shaw sculpt should be significant. Hopefully we get something amazing on may 4 and not another blurrg.

I'm not expert by any means. I just go by pics on the interwebs :lol But, a couple things I think would help the proportions would be narrower shoulder armor and a wider stomach area. HT really gave him the v-taper look with a tiny waist, which Prowse didn't really have showing off while wearing the suit. Not sure he really needs to be taller, just all the pieces need to be scaled better. I know the Sideshow Vader figure isn't the best and is too tall, BUT, I do feel they got the proportions of nearly everything to look close to right on their more recent Vader to go along with the overly tall body (except the even too large for that figure clown feet).

I'm probably going to get this to mix and match with my already heavily modded SS version

View attachment 632214
View attachment 632215
Tailoring and the proportion on all of the aspects of it aren’t done well enough to translate to looking like a 1/1 person.

Shoulders being too wide, stomach not big enough, the dome/helmet not being accurate, the cape not draping down nicely with folds, body not being properly proportioned for Prowse’s giant stature, etc etc. It all mushes together into what you see there.

Take Inarts Pennywise prototype for example and compare it to Hot Toys. The proportion on Inarts looks much closer to a 1/1 person due to their ability to better match the overall details of the character.

Same thing is happening here with Vader. They did a much better job on the 1/4 version but continue to ignore it and not apply those technique and sculpt onto their 1/6 version.

n3MDsCz.png

View attachment 632214
View attachment 632215

Yikes! This comparison makes the proportions on the Hot Toys look awful!

Tailoring and the proportion on all of the aspects of it aren’t done well enough to translate to looking like a 1/1 person.

Shoulders being too wide, stomach not big enough, the dome/helmet not being accurate, the cape not draping down nicely with folds, body not being properly proportioned for Prowse’s giant stature, etc etc. It all mushes together into what you see there.

Take Inarts Pennywise prototype for example and compare it to Hot Toys. The proportion on Inarts looks much closer to a 1/1 person due to their ability to better match the overall details of the character.

Same thing is happening here with Vader. They did a much better job on the 1/4 version but continue to ignore it and not apply those technique and sculpt onto their 1/6 version.

n3MDsCz.png
Yes. The parts are there. The body type, with a suit tailored to fit and proper positioning of the armor and accessories is key.
This custom uses mass produced parts (with some modifications and a custom body (also using mass produced parts).
E4222059-FF96-4C7A-9BBF-E05FFD000ECE.jpeg
DF1A092B-DEED-4653-9B4E-47AAC114255D.jpeg
A20D078F-29A0-4ACD-BADE-F51480A6FE4D.jpeg
414B39B3-068C-4737-9703-9B6CD584FD48.jpeg
B718D1F1-E698-4370-8B7F-4B6058822553.jpeg

Yes. The parts are there. The body type, with a suit tailored to fit and proper positioning of the armor and accessories is key.
This custom uses mass produced parts (with some modifications and a custom body (also using mass produced parts).
View attachment 632219View attachment 632220View attachment 632221View attachment 632222View attachment 632223
What helmet is that? Is that a modified Hot Toys Empire helmet? I never really liked how the dome sat on that helmet, and it looks like the new ROTJ Vader will be using the exact same helmet.

What helmet is that? Is that a modified Hot Toys Empire helmet? I never really liked how the dome sat on that helmet, and it looks like the new ROTJ Vader will be using the exact same helmet.
It’s specifically from the Vader/Tarkin 2-pack, modified. Same mold as their New Hope and Rogue One helmet. The figure is modded to be ESB.

EPIC! This line is getting so exciting! If HT had done something naff with the head sculpt, such as making it Hayden Christensen (with all love and respect to the guy!), I would’ve flown over a punched them right in the D! 😅 Now #BRINGMESOLO!!!

Back