1/6 Hot Toys MMS699 & MMS700 ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you ordered the better of the two.
Yeah - I've just taken a minute to get over the ironic timing, and I agree - I think the Kenobi Vader is (IMO) the better figure, I don't really want or need the "lightning head", they have the same hands/lightsaber effects and USB powered elements, the stairs diorama is alright but nothing exceptional....

Most notably I think I prefer the partially damaged helmet with the glimpse of Christensen's eye as opposed to the full Shaw likeness - the look is more sinister than Shaw who looks a bit old and sad to me, plus it allows you to simultaneously show off the helmeted look AND the scarred human likeness underneath without removing Vader's intimidation factor.

Happy for those that will finally get that Shaw head sculpt. I hope they end up fixing that helmet though, the ESB and ROTJ helmets have some noticeable differences.

I'm good with the 40th Anniversary ESB Vader and the upcoming Kenobi Vader, I already have 3 Vader statues as well.

Man this is a tough one for me. I sold my ESB Vader sometime last year, main reason being the materials used for the outfit. I didn't want to end up with a highly expensive figure that would be worth nothing after a fews year due to flaking.
Has HT mentioned anywhere if they updated the material for either of the new Vaders?
As an old school Star Wars fan, this version is much harder to resist than the Obi-Wan version. I do think both of them look awesome, but I feel like this one would go better with the upcoming ESB Luke.
Han would be instant buy though. Even over Vader. The Han Solo novels is what got me to finally seeing the movies.

There's a chance they just reused the ESB figure to get the promo pics out quicker. They may end up tweaking things in production. I'm getting one either way.

How quickly would they have needed to get the promo pics out? It's not like the 40th Anniversary of Return of the Jedi ambushed them out of nowhere. :lol

They would've gotten the marketing brief a long time ago and would've known of the anniversary besides. So unless someone forgot or procrastinated, they had the time.

I agree they could end up tweaking the figure as they've been more open to do that lately. If there's enough negative feedback, that is. But I'd take that more as a pleasant surprise than an expectation at this point.

Maybe there’s going to be a display at Star Wars Celebration and they wanted to get these up ahead of the show???

As mentioned by may others, it's unfortunate that looking at these PO shots, it's looking like the ESB release with new accessories. That figure just didn't do it for me - it's actually back in the box. The proportions seem stunted and that helmet is odd too. Hoping that this is indeed a case of using the ESB version for the promo shots and that there are some adjustments coming before release. The new accessories like the light-up translucent helmet look is, er, "fun" and may help to create some cool shots, but displaying that way might look a little gimmicky and toy-like. I applaud the effort though.

The stands are nice..especially the staircase. It will pair up nicely display-wise with that one that came with the first HT release of Jedi Luke that featured the DS "cylinders" attachment.

I'm an older fan, so I'm a little taken-aback by the snarky comments about the Shaw portrait. I think it looks stunning and entirely welcome and appropriate for this release. Heck, you young'uns are getting your Hayden reveal with the version from that awful show, so everyone should be able to get the one they want to feature in their displays.

Also, gotta say it. Is this it? This and the Threepio are the front-and-center for the ROTJ 40th offerings from HT? Two figures that feature a lot of re-use for HT...are we going to see anything for the line that HASN'T been produced before in some other form? Ackbar? Another ewok? Leia/Boussh? I hope so...

I'm an older fan, so I'm a little taken-aback by the snarky comments about the Shaw portrait. I think it looks stunning and entirely welcome and appropriate for this release. Heck, you young'uns are getting your Hayden reveal with the version from that awful show, so everyone should be able to get the one they want to feature in their displays.

I'm a younger fan and I feel the same way.

Shaw had a very limited but still important and emotionally heavy role in the final moments of the Original Trilogy.

I think that should be respected... even if George didn't feel that way anymore come 2004. :lol

Also, gotta say it. Is this it? This and the Threepio are the front-and-center for the ROTJ 40th offerings from HT? Two figures that feature a lot of re-use for HT...are we going to see anything for the line that HASN'T been produced before in some other form? Ackbar? Another ewok? Leia/Boussh? I hope so...
I thought the same thing. While both are nice reveals. It is a bit lazy. Both are figures that reuse parts. Now I’m thinking we might only get 2 more figures for the ROTJ Anniversary at best. And why do I feel one might be Jabba’s Palace R2-D2 with drink tray. Hope I’m wrong.

I'm a younger fan and I feel the same way.

Shaw had a very limited but still important and emotionally heavy role in the final moments of the Original Trilogy.

I think that should be respected... even if George didn't feel that way anymore come 2004. :lol
Which is why I don't own the current versions of the OT and own the 4K77 project versions, as I hated Shaw being replaced by Hayden.

Which is why I don't own the current versions of the OT and own the 4K77 project versions, as I hated Shaw being replaced by Hayden.

It also bothers me, albeit more in an OCD way. Like change both actors or neither George (neither preferably). Why just one and not the other.

I guess we should be grateful he didn't change Yoda to the Episode I puppet version.

I could be remembering this wrong, but it seems like all the Vaders thus far have started out as a crappy proto, but they've improved on each iteration during production. Like the Rogue One version was just re-hashing the ANH Vader, based on the photos. But now everyone thinks that version is the best.

But again, it's pretty much par for the course for everyone to nit-pick the promo photos, so I don't know what to make of any of it.

Like the Rogue One version was just re-hashing the ANH Vader, based on the photos. But now everyone thinks that version is the best.

Definitely not everyone. I'd say ANH V2 from MMS 434 is the best out of the box and I've seen others say the same.

Not as relevant but I think the only broad consensus is that the 1/4 ROTJ Vader is the best Vader figure they've made.

I wouldn't see it like that, remember AoTC got 5 new figures put up on May 4th and then in December we got another 4, for 9 total. I don't think ROTJ will get that high, but expect more in a month.

May 4th always get 4-5 new figures put up for order and that is less than a month away.

Welp, this is an order, and I already have the Obi Vader ordered…

I only keep one version of each charcater, gonna have to comoare these an sell the other….

and my SS Vader Deluxe.

I have a feeling I'm going to get the deluxe and also a standard of Darth Vader what I don't understand is hot toys really just competing against themselves with regards to the Obi-Wan Kenobi Darth Vader because I was going to get that but not now. The long outdate isaldo a bit of a bummer, december 2024 but really summer of 2025.

Back