1/6 Hot Toys MMS699 & MMS700 ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got three OT Vaders -- ANH, ESB and soon this ROTJ. No reason to have all three with masks/helmet on.

Just because we didn't "see" Shaw as anything but 'defeated' in ROTJ doesn't mean it isn't his face under the mask during all his cool stuff. I can easily imagine that more grim face Shaw that comes with the figure saying: "Don't fail me again, Admiral"... or "We'll have to destroy them ship to ship, get the crews to their fighters."

My god, think of the endless amount of figures you have of characters shown for seconds or never full screen so the shoes or legs are a guess. Like, we all know Greedo wears heels in truth.

NOTE: not addressing the Hayden reboot above

I got three OT Vaders -- ANH, ESB and soon this ROTJ. No reason to have all three with masks/helmet on.

Just because we didn't "see" Shaw as anything but 'defeated' in ROTJ doesn't mean it isn't his face under the mask during all his cool stuff. I can easily imagine that more grim face Shaw that comes with the figure saying: "Don't fail me again, Admiral"... or "We'll have to destroy them ship to ship, get the crews to their fighters."

My god, think of the endless amount of figures you have of characters shown for seconds or never full screen so the shoes or legs are a guess. Like, we all know Greedo wears heels in truth.

NOTE: not addressing the Hayden reboot above
I don’t disagree. I’m kinda messing with you. I like the SS portrait and that’s how I’d generally display him, altho I’m sincere about the Sith eyes. A pissed off Shaw portrait or one with an evil smile would be cool. I’m really glad for the figure to be released. (And I do have all of ANH, RO, and ESB.)

I have anh esb and this on order. I also have the owk one coming as well.
All different looks and Vader is Star Wars to me.
I also have Anakin ep2 on order to join my ep3 ones. Plural.
Anakin and Luke are the two I have multiples of.

I will be displaying rotj helmetless. I know it’s not scene specific but that’s my plan

It's simply staggering that HT didn't do a new Vader helmet sculpt for these new releases. All the Vader helmets HT has done so far have been only middling in accuracy and with these upcoming Vaders there was a real opportunity to do a new, definitive Vader helmet to rival their 1/4 scale, but instead it's the same base sculpt just used differently.

Super disappointing. A new helmet and armor sculpt would have made for the most exciting 1/6 SW release to come along in many years.

I'm a OT kid and the unmasking of Darth Vader was one of the biggest disappointments in the entire saga for me. I just remember thinking "that's it" while this friendly looking old man smiled back at me. And if you think about it, it should be one of the biggest moments up there with "Father time" yet hardly anybody remembers it that way or ever really talks about it as being this big thing like it should have been. We all wondered for years what was under there. Vader's face is his mask.

I'll see myself out now.

I'm a OT kid and the unmasking of Darth Vader was one of the biggest disappointments in the entire saga for me. I just remember thinking "that's it" while this friendly looking old man smiled back at me. And if you think about it, it should be one of the biggest moments up there with "Father time" yet hardly anybody remembers it that way or ever really talks about it as being this big thing like it should have been. We all wondered for years what was under there. Vader's face is his mask.

I'll see myself out now.
It doesn't match the "I am your father" moment, but what could?
I know what you mean with this. When I saw ROTJ in the theatre as a kid, bushy eyebrows old guy was a bit of a "is that it?" moment.
But what could George have done? What would have satisfied young me after that time?
More hideous scarring? Some sort of cybernetics?

As an adult I actually like the reveal. Inside that monstrous suit, he was just a man. He's let go of his hatred and now here's this dying old man with a kindly face.

On the HT ESB helmet I changed the registration point by moving the rubber socket in the dome back by about 1/8 of an inch so the helmet sits more forward and is rotated down a bit. I think it’s more of what the prototype ESB photos looked like.
I did the same for the helmet, and I filed down the widow's peak a little. It seemed too pointy. I also believe the reference Hot Toys used for the figure was Prowse's stunt double in the Cloud City Shaft battle with Luke. His chest and abdomen are too skinny. I bulked mine up a little bit and took out most of the pleats in the "under cape". Plus I darkened the chest armor a little. The silver seemed too bright. I also like the Sideshow Vader's gloves better. So, I used those. Before and After photos attached. Now..., how to fix the tusks???

Attachments

• IMG_4326.PNG
    IMG_4326.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4328.PNG
    IMG_4328.PNG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It doesn't match the "I am your father" moment, but what could?
I know what you mean with this. When I saw ROTJ in the theatre as a kid, bushy eyebrows old guy was a bit of a "is that it?" moment.
But what could George have done? What would have satisfied young me after that time?
More hideous scarring? Some sort of cybernetics?

As an adult I actually like the reveal. Inside that monstrous suit, he was just a man. He's let go of his hatred and now here's this dying old man with a kindly face.
That's why it's such a great scene. His love for his son frees him from the power of the dark side...Redemption.

Good triumphs over evil. A perfect ending to the saga.

Back