1/6 Hot Toys - MMS647 - Episode II: Attack of The Clones - Shiny Clone Trooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figure was likely under produced/under ordered. It was also pushed up in the production schedule. They also don’t view the figures the same way we do. It’s just about the numbers.

The molds are there but they don’t have unlimited production capacity or resources to just keep churning out the same figure. They’ve got to move on to the next figures.

Especially when they’ve made a bunch of Trooper figures already that didn’t sell nearly as well as anyone hoped. Which is not this figure’s fault; just bad timing.
Or simply price point in a time where groceries and surviving are more important

@BoosterGold06 Do you already have it in hand or is it still in pre-order phase? Do you normally order from them and have confidence in them? I only use SS as I am in Cali.

It's still in the preorder stage. They get their figures a lot later than the US does.

They're very reliable though. I've ordered a ton of Hot Toys figures from Popcultcha over dozens of orders. They've been one of my go to stores for a long time. Popcultcha is the retail front of the regional distributor for Hot Toys and many other collectible brands so they're very reputable. It would be similar to ordering from Sideshow - just Australian.

The one time a figure had a defect, they took care of it. Shipping is pretty reasonable and the conversion rates can be favorable. Since we don't pay VAT, the price after shipping usually ends up about the same as Sideshow if not less, especially if they're running a sale or you use their rewards system. Their CS response time did get worse during the pandemic but that's understandable.

Also you should look at Sideshow's reputable US authorized retail partners out of state like Timewalker. Not for this figure since it's sold out, but for others. Might save you money since you don't have to pay California sales tax or Sideshow shipping rates and other retailers can offer upfront discounts or rewards points. Only caveat is that those retailers can pre sell out of their allotments early because the benefits are good.

Last edited:
It's still in the preorder stage. They get their figures a lot later than the US does.

They're very reliable though. I've ordered a ton of Hot Toys figures from Popcultcha over dozens of orders. They've been one of my go to stores for a long time. Popcultcha is the retail front of the regional distributor for Hot Toys and many other collectible brands so they're very reputable. It would be similar to ordering from Sideshow - just Australian.

The one time a figure had a defect, they took care of it. Shipping is pretty reasonable and the conversion rates can be favorable. Since we don't pay VAT, the price after shipping usually ends up about the same as Sideshow if not less, especially if they're running a sale or you use their rewards system. Their CS response time did get worse during the pandemic but that's understandable.

Also you should look at Sideshow's reputable US authorized retail partners out of state like Timewalker. Not for this figure since it's sold out, but for others. Might save you money since you don't have to pay California sales tax or Sideshow shipping rates and other retailers can offer upfront discounts or rewards points. Only caveat is that those retailers can pre sell out of their allotments early because the benefits are good.
Thanks @MyenShi and @BoosterGold06 for the clarification! Better late than never huh? I definitely don't want to go aftermarket on this guy, or the pilot. A lot of places in the States are sold out as well, although I don't know too many as I rely on SS for all my needs.

What was weird was I was just in Taiwan at the airport rolling through duty free stores and they had one store that sold various anime figures and Hot Toys--it was bizarre to see new figures like Tony Stark Suit Up Collectors Edition and then old ones like Darth Maul with the Bike for their base prices.

Thanks @MyenShi and @BoosterGold06 for the clarification! Better late than never huh? I definitely don't want to go aftermarket on this guy, or the pilot. A lot of places in the States are sold out as well, although I don't know too many as I rely on SS for all my needs.

What was weird was I was just in Taiwan at the airport rolling through duty free stores and they had one store that sold various anime figures and Hot Toys--it was bizarre to see new figures like Tony Stark Suit Up Collectors Edition and then old ones like Darth Maul with the Bike for their base prices.

No problem, potatoes. Good to ask; better safe than sorry. I think the Clone Pilot will have a bit less of a demand than these, but I could see this figure commanding OG Rogue One trooper prices in the future. Definitely a good idea to get your order in. And the earlier the better in case something happens.

At this point I believe all the reputable US retailers are long sold out. Typically happens when a figure goes to waitlist at Sideshow; people panic and do a run on the stores. Though this was already selling out well before that since it seemed like retailers weren't being allocated that many from what I heard.

And yeah, it is interesting to see figures out in the wild like that. Asia is an interesting market with Hot Toys; things operate a lot differently there. I haven't been to Hong Kong since getting into HT but I think it'd feel a little surreal to walk into shops and just see figures from various eras just sitting about.

And yeah, it is interesting to see figures out in the wild like that. Asia is an interesting market with Hot Toys; things operate a lot differently there. I haven't been to Hong Kong since getting into HT but I think it'd feel a little surreal to walk into shops and just see figures from various eras just sitting about.
I totally agree, the figure cycle is the announce, the wait, and then the Asia release and then the wait...and then the US release haha--I could not imagine walking around HK and treating it like a grocery store, filling a cart with figures. My mind would explode from that experience! :LOL:

So, for us dummies who waited so long, when are the legions of surplus troopers going to be put up for sale? I’m thinking we SOL save for evilBay

So, for us dummies who waited so long, when are the legions of surplus troopers going to be put up for sale? I’m thinking we SOL save for evilBay

No one is a dummy for waiting. Couldn't have really predicted something like this would happen. It was fairly unprecedented.

As long as you're keeping tabs on what's going on, you'll likely have a shot at getting the figure before it comes to that. If you don't want to preorder from Popcultcha now for whatever reason that is.

And if by surplus troopers you mean the current crop of unsold troopers sitting around (Artillery, Shore, Transport, etc.), Sideshow has been trying to move them and even offered them at buy one get one 50% off. They'll probably quietly offload them to other retailers who will super clearance them out before it gets much worse though.

Im not panicking yet. I'll wait to panic until sideshow gets the pre-orders filled and my waitlist doesn't convert 🤣 I also have three friends waitlisting it for me as well. I hope I get at least one ..I just did not see this coming and I usually never wait on stuff.

I didn’t order soon enough and now I’m on the waitlist as well. I’m not losing any sleep over it. I almost paid too much for a Heavy Mando, and lo and behold, now I have one ordered that isn’t any different than the expensive ones. And if my gamble doesn’t pay off, oh well, I just wont have one I guess. No big deal.

I didn’t order soon enough and now I’m on the waitlist as well. I’m not losing any sleep over it. I almost paid too much for a Heavy Mando, and lo and behold, now I have one ordered that isn’t any different than the expensive ones. And if my gamble doesn’t pay off, oh well, I just wont have one I guess. No big deal.

You'll probably still have a shot at this. But they'll also always make more Clone variants even if it'll likely be many years before they circle back to a base PT/TCW Clone again.

Though if you don't mind the differences in armor, then a repaint - well, depaint I guess - of the Kenobi 501st as an Andor base Clone Trooper seems like a probable release since they have a prototype. Even if it would be hilariously annoying if the only Andor figure they make is a flashabck Clone Trooper and not Cassian.

well this situation of the apparently "shortage of clones" has been getting to my nerves lately. What's the actual f uck Hot Toys ?

Unless those custom artists out-there buying million of these shiny for repaint jobs and reselling them with outrageous $$$. These shiny should be made widely available so us normal folks could actually slowly collect and enjoy the hobby. This FOMO shenanigans must be eradicated at all cost for the sake of our sanity!

well this situation of the apparently "shortage of clones" has been getting to my nerves lately. What's the actual f uck Hot Toys ?

Unless those custom artists out-there buying million of these shiny for repaint jobs and reselling them with outrageous $$$. These shiny should be made widely available so us normal folks could actually slowly collect and enjoy the hobby. This FOMO shenanigans must be eradicated at all cost for the sake of our sanity!
They are known for their scarcity. Not often stock sits around for years, no stranger they cut off early with newest releases.

Get what you want, but only what you want! Can’t collect them all, gotta make decisions. Clone or Anakin? Battle droid or Mace? C-3PO or R2-D2? Super BD or Clone pilot?

They are known for their scarcity. Not often stock sits around for years, no stranger they cut off early with newest releases.

Get what you want, but only what you want! Can’t collect them all, gotta make decisions. Clone or Anakin? Battle droid or Mace? C-3PO or R2-D2? Super BD or Clone pilot?

No no no..you can collect them all!

And not only that, make sure to get at least 3 clone troopers.

Can't collect them ALL ?

*Furiously went ahead to buy three more Shiny's

*Furiously went ahead to buy three more Shiny's

CF5C701B-9A5F-4541-941B-BFA723455D0A.gif

30 minutes later…

AB9E9AF5-2324-43C5-A90E-F66A01260BE5.jpeg

Back